Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #30,631 of 40,559
I haven't heard the R8, but yes, I'd agree the LX is the one IEM in my collection that isn't a great pairing with the M8.
Overwhelming, uncontrolled bass? I paired my Focal Utopia with my Bottlehead crack and that's what I got. I thought I would like it and I didn't.

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #30,632 of 40,559
Overwhelming, uncontrolled bass? I paired my Focal Utopia with my Bottlehead crack and that's what I got. I thought I would like it and I didn't.
This is the same experience I had with the Legend X and the Kann Cube... Very impactful bass with great texture but the warmth of the Kann Cube coupled with the LX's signature didn't do it any favours at all. It wasn't until I got the SE200 that I realised how much the Cube was effecting my perception of the LX. They became a lot more versatile to my ear and less niche sounding... this is why I question which source people use who say that the LX is too warm or just a bass-head IEM.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #30,633 of 40,559
I haven't heard the R8, but yes, I'd agree the LX is the one IEM in my collection that isn't a great pairing with the M8.
Crazy that some people absolutely love the synergy of the LXs with the M8 while others clearly don’t. The M8 was at the top of my list but having ready so many comments praising and criticizing both DAPs, I just don’t know how I’ll ever ever commit to buying either one. Ugh… 🤯

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #30,635 of 40,559
This is the same experience I had with the Legend X and the Kann Cube... Very impactful bass with great texture but the warmth of the Kann Cube coupled with the LX's signature didn't do it any favours at all. It wasn't until I got the SE200 that I realised how much the Cube was effecting my perception of the LX. They became a lot more versatile to my ear and less niche sounding... this is why I question which source people use who say that the LX is too warm or just a bass-head IEM.
I suppose it depends what you want from the LX. I've only ever heard it with the R8, and the synergy was so good there's no reason to switch. With the R8 it sounds balanced and powerful, with plenty air (for my taste) and some of the best (organic/detailed/full/natural) vocals I've heard in an IEM. Zero bass bleed. Zero harshness. Wide stage with great details. Now if I put some E-type (stock) tips on the LX it starts to swing towards a warmer, bassier sound sig, with reduced air, giving it more of the L-shaped wub-wub sig some speak of. Add a warmer/thicker midbass-weighted source (like the M8?) and unless you really like that type of sound it's not going to be as balanced and even as it does with a more neutral source (and tips).

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #30,637 of 40,559
I did originally like the LX-M8 pairing, but then soon remembered why I find the LX a little "much" at times. Switched to the LX SE and it made for a better pairing.

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #30,638 of 40,559
Amazon Japan coming through with some goodies... Lets see how these hold up on Odin.
Ordered some deep mounts as well on Sunday Night arrived Tuesday afternoon via DHL. Not even Amazon NA is that fast some times.

Amazon JP seems to be the cheapest option option to order them internationally though. Half of what I paid was for S&H+ duties, but at least I have them.
Curious about those deep mounts.
I use them for iems with narrow bores. Fourte and M4 both have deep mounts on them. The flange is also not super wide so its extremely good for earlets.

For Empire's bore size, I would just go with Sednas.

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #30,639 of 40,559
I find Legend X is great with the Hiby R8.
That makes sense to me because I have a Hiby R6 2020 and it is a fantastic pairing.

Jul 22, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #30,640 of 40,559
I find Legend X is great with the Hiby R8.
R8 is versatile. Thats its strength. I find it really balanced. Its safest bet regardless of iems you use.
I do need to hear M8! As i am also confused on what its like. Bloody canjam is just too far away.

Though from what i read, i feel like it would be good with Odin and hit or miss with LX depending on preferences.

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #30,643 of 40,559
W2 is neutral and you can tune it with filters and tune 1 or 2 option

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #30,645 of 40,559
Ordered some deep mounts as well on Sunday Night arrived Tuesday afternoon via DHL. Not even Amazon NA is that fast some times.

Amazon JP seems to be the cheapest option option to order them internationally though. Half of what I paid was for S&H+ duties, but at least I have them.

I use them for iems with narrow bores. Fourte and M4 both have deep mounts on them. The flange is also not super wide so its extremely good for earlets.

For Empire's bore size, I would just go with Sednas.
What's the sound profile like? Do they lift bass, mess with the mids, bump treble up or down? And how's the comfort/softness? Curious if they'd suit something like the IE 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back