Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 4, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #30,331 of 40,668
Why don’t you use the SP1000? The BTR5 definitely wouldn’t get the most out of Odin.
BTR5 was temporary while waiting for N8 to arrive. i sold all gears thought i was out of this hobby but it seems like a drug being addicted to it....hence i am.back again
i actually demoed m15 and btr5 both, certainly big difference but not enough to jsutify 10x price difference.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #30,332 of 40,668
BTR5 was temporary while waiting for N8 to arrive. i sold all gears thought i was out of this hobby but it seems like a drug being addicted to it....hence i am.back again
Haha there's no escaping this hobby. I can't comment on the comparison with the Utopia but I can certainly compare how Odin sounds with the BTR5 as a laptop DAC vs the Hugo2 if you'd like?... Never really thought to listen to Odin with the BTR5 tbh.

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #30,333 of 40,668
M
just got my odin a few days ago. saw someone says odin being comparable to utopia, so i set high expectation but seems a bit disappointment to me after hearing. maybe because it needs some time break in. but certainly what I hear from now out of Odin is not comparable to utopia. maybe because i was using utopia with dana cable and SP1000 and with Odin, i only have stock cable and BTR5 while waiting for cayin n8 romi mod to arrive.

I was thinking about changing stock cable to tralucent uber gen3 cable but then realized the stock stormbreaker cable sells for $1299????what??????
should i change cable for ODIN?? if i decided to change, anyone interested purchasing my stormbreaker?
I’m exploring getting a Stormbreaker. Not too keen on getting the Odin. Would like to discuss this with you via pm :) thank you

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #30,334 of 40,668
On a side note, @Jack Vang are you able to offer a re-shelling process for existing (original) customers? There is nothing wrong with the fit of my LX but the thought of a 'Dragonhide' / 'Translucent mist' combo is really sounding quite tempting. Are you also able to provide any photos of the new options available such as the 'Ivory haze' faceplate and the mirror faceplates? Thank you in advance.

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #30,335 of 40,668
just got my odin a few days ago. saw someone says odin being comparable to utopia, so i set high expectation but seems a bit disappointment to me after hearing. maybe because it needs some time break in. but certainly what I hear from now out of Odin is not comparable to utopia. maybe because i was using utopia with dana cable and SP1000 and with Odin, i only have stock cable and BTR5 while waiting for cayin n8 romi mod to arrive.

I was thinking about changing stock cable to tralucent uber gen3 cable but then realized the stock stormbreaker cable sells for $1299????what??????
should i change cable for ODIN?? if i decided to change, anyone interested purchasing my stormbreaker?
They compare the clarity and detail to the Utopia which Odin is as every bit as resolving with a decent source. BTR5 isn’t gonna cut it.

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #30,337 of 40,668
They compare the clarity and detail to the Utopia which Odin is as every bit as resolving with a decent source. BTR5 isn’t gonna cut it.
From the FR curves and what I read, the Utopia seems to be pretty bass shy. Maybe the double W9+ are too much for you, @superjohny ?

As long as you want to use a dongle, I can highly recommend the L&P W2 (a little more analytical, tremendous power for a dongle) or Hidizs S9 (a little more bassy) or Qudelix 5k (outstanding EQ so you can try and change the ODINs FR a little bit like the Utopia). All of them have sublime measurements, the W2 being king of the hill.

I don’t know if that makes any sense to EQ too much with an expensive IEM like the ODIN.

I never heard the Utopia but I read a lot about it. I imagine that the QDC Anole VX might be a better IEM for you as it is also a resolution beast and you can tame the bass (wich is much softer than that of the ODIN, even if boosted) with dip switches, hardware based.

ODINs are for detail/resolution/soundstage/mids/bass* lovers :ksc75smile:

*perfectly controlled, top notch quality but still strong bass…

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #30,338 of 40,668
Happy Independence Day!!! Hope all my American Brothers are having a fantastic long weekend!

Jul 5, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #30,340 of 40,668
image.jpg

I've had the Bravado MKII's for long enough now that I can share some impressions. First of all, the packaging, accessories and product quality is everything you'd expect from a high end IEM maker. Kudos to @Jack Vang and company.

I listen to mostly electronic music with some classic rock thrown in (e.g. Dire Straits, Styx, Eagles, etc.). Preferred sound signature is V or U shape with elevated sub-bass and sparkly treble. The Bravado MKIIs deliver in that regard.

Most listening was done on my ES100 bluetooth device (iPhone AAC source, 2.5mm balanced) and secondarily on my Sony NW-ZX300a DAP (FLAC or 320 MP3, 4.4mm balanced) at moderately loud volumes. All devices were set to flat (i.e. no EQ).

The star of the show with the MKII's is the sub-bass. It's elevated, smooth with great texture and doesn't infringe on the other frequencies. There is some mid-bass but I don't notice it as much as compared to my next best IEM, JVC HA-FW01. The Bravado provides an overall cleaner listening experience between the two. There is some really great slam for EDM which is right up my alley.

Mids are clear, but are a few steps back in the mix compared to the bass and treble. The HA-FW01 vocals are more forward which I like over the Bravados. The Bravado still does mids well on classic rock tracks that don't have heavy electronic bass runs.

I'm not the best judge of treble since I'm older now. I have nothing to fault though with what I'm hearing out of the Bravado. Cymbals and high pitch electronic sounds sound natural and present. I like the treble on both the MKII's and FW01's.

I'm not the best judge of soundstage or imaging either. However, I will comment that L/R instrument separation is very good with sounds being "outside the head" and vocals more towards the middle.

Now for some minor nitpicks:

1) The cable, even though great quality, has too much memory at the ear pieces. I'm using an alternate one I happened to have on hand.
2) Lots of driver flex. Apparently, this is inherent to the driver design. It didn't seem to go away with some tips I tried. However, I finally settled on Sedna Xelastic tips as the ones best for me and the flex does go away after a short period. I contacted EE and they stated their lifetime warranty will cover the IEMs against any damage caused by driver flex (but there shouldn't be any).
3) Shirt clip would be a nice addition considering the price.

Final thoughts: the Bravados are wonderful for EDM and good for rock. They provide what I would call a "smooth yet detailed" listening experience. If you like bands like Infected Mushroom, pop these in your ears and you'll be in hog heaven. The HA-FW01s are also stellar IEMs since they can be obtained for less than half the cost of the Bravados and IMO provide a great listening experience also.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #30,341 of 40,668

Why don't you try the Odin with the SP1000?

Were you using BTR5 in USB DAC mode or Bluetooth? I own a BTR5, but I haven't used it in a long time. I am not even sure where it is.

the Utopia and Odin have a similar smoothness to them. And, both are highly resolving. The Odin are a bit brighter.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #30,342 of 40,668
Why don't you try the Odin with the SP1000?

Were you using BTR5 in USB DAC mode or Bluetooth? I own a BTR5, but I haven't used it in a long time. I am not even sure where it is.

the Utopia and Odin have a similar smoothness to them. And, both are highly resolving. The Odin are a bit brighter.
sold all my rigs a while a go thought i am out of this hobbym, only to realize it's a holiday rather than a retirement....currently awaiting for cayin n8 to arrive.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #30,343 of 40,668
sold all my rigs a while a go thought i am out of this hobbym, only to realize it's a holiday rather than a retirement....currently awaiting for cayin n8 to arrive.
Haha. I see. As the Eagles said, "you can check out any time you like, buy you can never leave!"

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #30,345 of 40,668

From what I heard the minor tuning change does make it sound more balanced. It’s an energetic W shape sound.
May I please know what cable is being paired to the LX SE? Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back