Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 11, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #20,371 of 40,665
I’d give it a few days, unless you’re experiencing pain, rather than a little discomfort. With this being your first custom there may be an adjustment period. EE does have great after-sales service so no need to worry there and it seems Zeppelin is willing to work with you on this.

I was advised to return today in case i still feel discomfort or a little pain. Although the person who did the impression said redoing the impression might confuse EE so it's better to reuse the old impression and make little adjustments.
Is it normal to cause a little discomfort after about 60 minutes of wear? I know it's a different story for universals but I can wear them for 8 hours especially if I'm on a trip.

Are you sure the insertion isn't too deep? Does it feel like it's sort of pressing against your eardrums?
The pain is more on the outside of the ear. And if I loosen it a little bit, I would lose isolation and bass and allows more air passage.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #20,372 of 40,665
I was advised to return today in case i still feel discomfort or a little pain. Although the person who did the impression said redoing the impression might confuse EE so it's better to reuse the old impression and make little adjustments.
Is it normal to cause a little discomfort after about 60 minutes of wear? I know it's a different story for universals but I can wear them for 8 hours especially if I'm on a trip.

The pain is more on the outside of the ear. And if I loosen it a little bit, I would lose isolation and bass and allows more air passage.
I'd say give it another week. When I got my first customs a while back it was also a very strange sensation and I had quite a bit of discomfort

The general rule is, with wear, discomfort goes away - pain escalates. If you feel like it hurts you, just send it back and they can fix it

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #20,373 of 40,665
I'd say give it another week. When I got my first customs a while back it was also a very strange sensation and I had quite a bit of discomfort

The general rule is, with wear, discomfort goes away - pain escalates. If you feel like it hurts you, just send it back and they can fix it

I see. Thank you. I'll give it another week then. One last shot of my ear after wearing for an hour. You can see the mark the cable left in my skin LOL

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #20,374 of 40,665
I see. Thank you. I'll give it another week then. One last shot of my ear after wearing for an hour. You can see the mark the cable left in my skin LOL
Yeah that ain't right... this isn't a case of discomfort imo, if it presses up against your skin like that the fit is off

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #20,375 of 40,665
Ouch.

Might be worth sending a new set of impressions in when you send them back? Have a word with them. Was the audiologist who did your impressions familiar with ciems? Need to have the tragus part of the ear done to get a set of impressions for ciems (as I found out all to late, could have saved a lot of time and effort if I'd known that earlier). I sent in a video that's up on youtube by 64audio on how to properly take impressions to my audiologist.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #20,376 of 40,665
The Ares cable is surprisingly mediocre in use. It's attractive and well-built and I have no doubts about its materials...but it has too much memory/tendency to kink, it's microphonic, and the ends of the ear guides are sharp(!?) which is causing a chafing issue because I keep forgetting to tape over them or file off the sharp bit. And the pins protrude above the shell on the universal, which is a weird choice for durability.

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #20,377 of 40,665
If you are speaking of the Ares ll cable, I couldn't disagree with you more. I've had three 4-wire versions and now have two 8-wire versions and have never had a single issue as you describe. They've never kinked, I don't find the edges sharp, and if the pins are sticking out a bit from the shell, that's EE, not EA. For some reason the EE ports can be a bit tight. The pins are standard size and "should" fit. I've had an issue with one Zeus with the pins not inserting all the way while with the other, they fully insert. Same cable for both.

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #20,380 of 40,665

Based on all your descriptions prior to this one, I was convinced that your discomfort was coming from the cable barrel pressing against your skull, and this photo just confirms it. It looks like EE made the shell a bit too low-profile (i.e. made them sit too flush against your ear) that the cable connectors are digging into your skull. In that case, the impressions Zepp took should be fine. EE may have just shaved them a bit too much. I'd recommend you tell Zepp that you'd like to make the shells taller, so they stick out a bit from your ear. That should eliminate all issues immediately.

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #20,381 of 40,665
Based on all your descriptions prior to this one, I was convinced that your discomfort was coming from the cable barrel pressing against your skull, and this photo just confirms it. It looks like EE made the shell a bit too low-profile (i.e. made them sit too flush against your ear) that the cable connectors are digging into your skull. In that case, the impressions Zepp took should be fine. EE may have just shaved them a bit too much. I'd recommend you tell Zepp that you'd like to make the shells taller, so they stick out a bit from your ear. That should eliminate all issues immediately.
Only problem with that is it's possible for them to go too far as happened to me once, and then the cable wouldn't wrap around the ear.

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #20,383 of 40,665

Possibly yes, this only happens on the right ear. The left side has a little gap that it doesn't land on my skin, so it's a little bit more comfortable.
One observation as a new CIEM user is that it's harder to insert and make them fit during the morning, when I'm off to work.
I'm thinking the cold and shower I just took could have contributed to the hardness of my ears (assuming this is a thing LOL)?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #20,384 of 40,665
Possibly yes, this only happens on the right ear. The left side has a little gap that it doesn't land on my skin, so it's a little bit more comfortable.
One observation as a new CIEM user is that it's harder to insert and make them fit during the morning, when I'm off to work.
I'm thinking the cold and shower I just took could have contributed to the hardness of my ears (assuming this is a thing LOL)?

Haha, it's not necessarily the coldness, but if you rinse your ears when you shower, you're also washing away a bit of the wax that's lubricating your ear canal. That's why it's a bit harder to insert the IEM and slide it into its sealing position. To get that wax back, just wiggle your finger inside your ear a bit to encourage wax production, then you should be able to insert your IEMs again, no problem.

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #20,385 of 40,665
My Phantom shipped! That is really fast as it hasn't even been three weeks and I did not pay for any rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back