Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 8, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #17,266 of 40,580
With all the cold weather, is it okay to wear EE IEMs outside or even carry them in my bag in a basic pouch? Or should I invest in a coldproof/weatherproof case and never use them when it's 40F or below?
I've been using mine in -25 C temperatures on a 2 hour commute daily. No issues here.

I wouldn't use mine below 40. I don't use them below 50, actually. They have wires and electronic in them so clearly the better you treat them the longer they will work. I wouldn't use mine under a rain hood in pouring rain, but have done so in a light mist with the cable inside my raincoat. As to carrying, it just makes sense to keep them dry and not frozen. Plus, people sweat, their ears sweat, and in cold weather (really cold) your iems might freeze to your ears like your tongue to a flagpole.
That sounds a bit overly cautious don't you think? 40 F is balmy for me. Hoodie and shorts weather.

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #17,268 of 40,580
I wouldn't use mine below 40. I don't use them below 50, actually. They have wires and electronic in them so clearly the better you treat them the longer they will work. I wouldn't use mine under a rain hood in pouring rain, but have done so in a light mist with the cable inside my raincoat. As to carrying, it just makes sense to keep them dry and not frozen. Plus, people sweat, their ears sweat, and in cold weather (really cold) your iems might freeze to your ears like your tongue to a flagpole.

Makes sense. I guess I have to endure the 30 min walking and waiting for the train with no Phantoms.

I've been using mine in -25 C temperatures on a 2 hour commute daily. No issues here..

Oh man. If it were -25c where I lived, I think I would just move to SoCal. Even 40f is way too cold for me already. >.<
20190209_210926.jpg

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #17,269 of 40,580
We're having a cold snap- 35-40 F at night, 58-60 F during the day. Off and on rain as well. Some folks still walking around in shorts and tees because, well, it's SoCal.

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #17,271 of 40,580
I have had this saturday the opportunity to listen my Zeus XR A (G1 module), universal version, versus the Zeus XIV, universal version too.

Same DAP (Aune m1s), same tips (Sedna eartips M/L : an absolute must have imo), same cables (Penon GS849 and O.A.O Gold Twelve).

Same music... same... all same lol.

And to my taste, I found the XRA with G1 module (tunning XIV) a little above the XIV in term of pure SQ.

Not "night and day" as I sometimes read it, but substantial differences I guess :

- XRA more airy, more refined, and... a little more definited (because of more air and refinement ? I found definitly the definition/resolution a bit better than the "standard" XIV universal version). Better instrumental separation. Bass more precise and tight and articulate. Same extension, same impact. If I have to summarize, technically a bit better than the "standard" universal version. Not by far, this said.

- XIV a little more denser (texture is the same) but not by far too, and intimate (less airy and separated). Maybe a very (very) few much bass quantity.. but less precise, tight and articulate...

But the two signatures are very close. It's remind my the key differences between an open design and a closed design, but with a very little magnitude (as the isolation is good with the Adel option too).

The fit is not the same because of the size of the Adel version, and the 5 bores design vs 4. With my morphology, the fit is a little better with the XR Adel version.

It was very interesting, and thank's God :), I prefer the Adel version in G1 that I already have. So... no changes.

My 2 cts :beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #17,272 of 40,580
decided to try adn make it to Canjam this weekend. Hope to see some of you there. Would be fun to meet many of you.

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #17,273 of 40,580
EE was my first stop at CanJam NYC today. Spent about an hour there listening to the Legend X and Phantom, with both std 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced cables, using my A&K SR15. There were impressive. Both have lots of bass and for the music I listen to and my taste in sound, there really fit the bill. In addition to the bass, the mids and treble are clearly defined - it's easy for me to hear small details in songs - especially live songs where the audience is clapping, or the singer moves the mike stand. The difference to me is the sub-bass and how I "feel" it more with the Legend X. That's expected though since it's a hybrid with a 2x subwoofers for bass. It all comes down to the music I'm listening to and to which one works for me. Ergonomically, both the Legend X and Phantom work great, and they are easy to insert into the ear. At some point, I'll need to have both in my IEM kit.

Also, thanks a ton to @Jack Vang for his time and his discussion about IEMs and the movie "Clerks." :)

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #17,275 of 40,580
I am using WM1Z for the Legend X with Thor II.
what is the recommended amp, a Schiit Lyr 3 ? I also have the MSB Analog DAC.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #17,277 of 40,580
how to improve the playback quality further ? WM1Z amp section probably not as good as Lyr3 ?

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #17,278 of 40,580
how to improve the playback quality further ? WM1Z amp section probably not as good as Lyr3 ?

You'll have to use like an iFi IEMatch if you're running it through the Lyr3. The gain on it is too high for EE's sensitive IEMs.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #17,279 of 40,580
I am using WM1Z for the Legend X with Thor II.
what is the recommended amp, a Schiit Lyr 3 ? I also have the MSB Analog DAC.

With EE iems being easy to drive you really dont need an an external amp for it at all. Generally iems shouldnt need an external amp, and as afaik amps dont really dont much to improve "playback quality" whatever you may mean by that.

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #17,280 of 40,580
I ended up with the Legend X and have been smiling ear to ear ever since, prior to arrival, during arrival, and after arrival. A special IEM for sure...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back