Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #17,281 of 40,613
Phantom has a wonderful "all rounder" type sound, but the Legend X definitely steals the show though.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #17,283 of 40,613
Customs are addicting, less than one year ago I was die hard universal and swore against customs due to poor resale value. However, if there is an IEM you truly love it’s 110% worth it. I got a custom Legend X in June and just received my custom A18t this week. Zero regrets. The comfort is just unparalleled even compared to fine fitting universals in my opinion.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #17,284 of 40,613
It is a much cheaper hobby than gambling, I will say that much. =)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #17,285 of 40,613
Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #17,286 of 40,613
Cable removal isn't necessary and I'd advise against it as constant removal and insertion can lead to damaged sockets if done improperly. Definitely store them faceplate up (the way they were shipped) and you may need to remove the tips, depending on the tip size. When you close the Aegis case, you'll feel if there's resistance from the IEMs. If there is, just readjust until it's nice and comfy. Never force the case closed and you'll be good to go!
Devon has to be one of the nicest people out there.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #17,287 of 40,613
The U18 (and even more so, the A18) has the most capably versatile bass I've heard in an iem. The thinking by Vitaliy and 64A to use 8 small BAs to achieve both huge, impactful bass AND incredibly quick speed must have been a technical challenge to execute successfully. But when you hear it, unless you're a dynamic basshead, it's hard not to be impressed. In general, either variant of the 18 has an unbelievably large soundstage for an iem, truly world-class treble with the m15 modules, and presents an excitingly neutral sound with end to end extension. It is arguably one of the top all-around iems available.

I don't have as much time logged with the LX, but I demoed it and was very impressed. It's not hard for me to see why one would pick up the LX as a complement to the 18.

While not quite as versatile as the 18, the LX has world-class bass, killer vocals, and very high clarity and detail. Unlike the exciting neutral sound of the 18, which works competently with virtually any genre, the LX was built to crush your mind with its bass. In contrast to the 8 small BAs working cohesively on the 18, Jack and EE spent 2 years developing their cutting edge W9 dynamic drivers, then jammed two into each monitor. The most immediate thing you notice with the LX is the raw power and authority of the low end. It is remarkable and it is ever-present. As such, for many this will likely keep the LX from being as much of an all-arounder as the 18.

But, the LX doesn't really care about being an "all-arounder." Its excitement comes from its sheer power, clarity, spatially accurate soundstage, and lively vocals.

The bottom line is that both monitors include cutting edge tech, and both present music in ways that many people will likely find captivating and enjoyable. But they are VERY different, and for this reason, would make a great complementary pair.
This might be the most well worded statement in this thread, thank you.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #17,288 of 40,613
Feb 24, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #17,289 of 40,613
Customs are addicting, less than one year ago I was die hard universal and swore against customs due to poor resale value. However, if there is an IEM you truly love it’s 110% worth it. I got a custom Legend X in June and just received my custom A18t this week. Zero regrets. The comfort is just unparalleled even compared to fine fitting universals in my opinion.
I totally agree! Try the universal versions until you find one you really like and go custom. I did that with the Bravado. I enjoy my custom Bravado more and more each time I use it! I can't speak to all IEMs but the universal Bravado sounded awesome to me and the custom took it to the next level.

I feel like a lot of the universal Empire Ears IEMs that you see here on the classifieds are because people love the sound and go custom.

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #17,290 of 40,613
Right. I do admit that k10 is not the best sounding set of iems that i had/have but I tend to go back to it because of its form factor.
Im just planning to get one more set of ciem some time this year. I just need to decide which one i would go with. a18 and lx are about the safest route it seems.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #17,291 of 40,613
K10c and A18 here... both are great.

K10 was totl a few years ago and can still hold its own.

A18 shows how far things have come in a few years...it's spectacular.

I don't own the LX, but from my demo of it, it is also pretty amazing.

Feb 28, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #17,293 of 40,613
Hi,

I have bought a pair of Empire Ears Zeus XRA in April 2017.
Regrettably I have to send them to repair becuase the right ciem, from one day to the other, sounds so low in comparison to the left one.
They are on warranty so I am sure that @Jack Vang and his team will do a great job with them.

Before sending them I have one question for you.
I have observed that my Wiplash cable (the original one included with the Zeus) presents some intensive green stains all over it.

Have you experienced in the past something like this?
I will send it with my ciems but I want to know your opinions about it. I think is so weird...

Thanks all!

IMG-0866.jpg

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #17,294 of 40,613
Hi,

I have bought a pair of Empire Ears Zeus XRA in April 2017.
Regrettably I have to send them to repair becuase the right ciem, from one day to the other, sounds so low in comparison to the left one.
They are on warranty so I am sure that @Jack Vang and his team will do a great job with them.

Before sending them I have one question for you.
I have observed that my Wiplash cable (the original one included with the Zeus) presents some intensive green stains all over it.

Have you experienced in the past something like this?
I will send it with my ciems but I want to know your opinions about it. I think is so weird...

Thanks all!

IMG-0866.jpg

Your cable is simply oxidising. It’s perfectly normal and should not affect performance at all.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #17,295 of 40,613
Crashing this thread again momentarily to ask for some cable advice - I am not a fan of the Effect Audio Ares II largely due to fit and comfort around my ear and the 3.5mm jack being oddly loose fit with my Samsung GS8. It falls out very easily and I am looking for something with slightly wider jack.

Does anyone have recommendations for cables that work with the recessed connection needed for EE CIEMs that are super soft and supple but nor overly thick? Chin slider is a must. Copper or a copper/silver blend would be ideal. Budget wise I'd like to stay around $100.

Thank you for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back