Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 29, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #15,122 of 40,675
Someone asked about pairings for the Phantom and if it scales. I use my Ayre QX5 and I promise you it SCALES. Dean has no idea how good this thing sounds when hooked up to a legit world class DAC/AMP/Streamer (a true digital hub for high end 2 channel audio). It's a 10k player give or take.

I think it's balls with the ak380cu and matching amp. Even without the amp, it's balls. I've had some other top end IEM's in finally and used the Ayre with them. They are limited in many ways that I won't share as I don't wan to say anything that would upset anyone. I'm one of the FEW who even use their IEM's on such a piece of equipment. lol. I promise folks that the Phantoms have plenty of quality and quantity in the bass, when it's on teh recording. It's there in spades and as for the top end, it's not just smooth, but bites plenty on sax and has incredible decay on piano notes or cymbals. I've posted in the beginning about that, so no need to go over it here.

I get a ton of that with the AK set up. I don't need any other cables right now either. I've had some of the top name silver adn silver/gold and gold/silver and copper....... None so far are as well rounded as the stock EA cable. Not saying I've heard all of them, but I've heard 5 different makers of cables and I wouldn't do an even up trade so far. Again, this is just me and my ear. I hope I don't upset anyone with this post as they are just my feelings. Thanks.

Hi thanks for the share and its amazing news that phantom scale so well sounds like an end game totl iem and man I am so proud of that, mine arriving next week.
The fact that you prefer the phantom over other iems is probably an indication that phantom is one hech of a audiophile grade iem :) maybe Tyll would place it on the wall of fame.

It will probably sound so beautifully on my hdv820.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #15,123 of 40,675
Nice set up. I don't think it does support Spotify. Maybe in the future if they finally go with lossless. To me, SQ is the most important thing. I also have a vast catalog of CD quality on up to the highest resolution to play on the SD cards. For my music tastes, Tidal is fine as I go to the SD card when it won't play what I want, but that's rare as they have added so much recently in all genres. I also will stream MQA on my laptop to the DAC when I'm home. Again, that's me.

As for how I think the 380cu set up sounds vs the HDV820 DAC/Amp.... I like it better. I've owned Sennheisers for years and still do. They are nice. I used them in the studio and even DJ'ing since I was a kid. Their corp HQ is only about 45 minutes from my house and I used to know their US VP of Sales. Got to listen to Orpheus whenever I wanted to. I always enjoyed that headphone and amp, but it still lacked a bit in the bass. Many Senn fans don't like some of the stuff that I enjoy better as we like different things. Heck, I use my Ayre QX5 DAC/AMP/Streamer with the Phantom's and it's unreal how well it scales. Not even the EE folks know how good it can sound, lol.

I did read that you can stream Spotify from your computer to the device. Being wifi able, I wonder if you can stream it somehow. I'm not an expert there, but I know folks who do listen to Spotify on their 1000 and 380, so it can be done at home at least. Deal breakers are just that. We all need different things.

Wow thats awsume when you have such freelly access to sennheiser gears. Its true they make nice stuff but its not the best but very good. I found the hdv820 price wise very compeling i got it new at 2k $
It is true you can probably use the ak380 as a dacamp mode from pc or android phone?

I was looking at fiio q5 it seems to be 1 heck of little device it also ussing dual dac ak4490 as AK . wonder how good that thing is. Of course I know your ak 380 should sound better ;p

For how you selling?

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #15,124 of 40,675
But, one of my top recommendations remains Leonidas (just regular will do), as it provides that neutral/smooth sound while maintaining the body and forwardness of its midrange compared to something like Horus (which has nicely sized vocals, but less vocal power). In addition, I found the Eros II 8-wire very intriguing so I will add that to this shortlist. Leonidas might offer greater performance, but Eros II 8-wire is perhaps one of the best pairings in terms of instrument timbre and overall signature, ahead of Leo and 2.98. Eros II 4-wire attenuates the mid-bass and does not really improve the stage dimensions, but I have the feeling 8-wire maintained a similar bass response and widened the stage. Eros II 4-wire however would be one of the best options for people that find Phantom a bit too bassy or thick, as it will reduce the mid-bass and improve the airiness, while maintaining its naturalness. The Plus series are thick AF as is. I don't think EA makes them in 8-wire for iems, and if they did you prob wouldn't want to buy them ; )

Great insight as usual :dart:

Just when I was thinking of which cable I would pair next with the Phantom :)

@Deezel177 Ares II 8 wire praise with the Phantom has been itching me for a while, but the fact I prefer LionHeart over "regular" Ares II with the Phantom had me second guessing. So I was looking at Leonidas and Eros II as well, 8 wires could be the magic number. Unless... not the same range (at all) but I'll have the chance to audition the Phantom with PW 1960 4 wires in a couple of weeks, any hint on that pairing? A friend of mine swears by it for the VE8... it would have to be a major mind blowing experience to even consider make the jump to that price range but who knows in this hobby :p

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #15,125 of 40,675
Well, there is no product page, this was a limited (66 units) batch with a titanium chassis and upgraded components and AMP, here is the FB announcement :

XFM8BHe6y89v4Dwkf7IUvwwrTriZv3.png

So according your expertise which one would be better dx200 amp8 or fiio q5 a
Great insight as usual :dart:

Just when I was thinking of which cable I would pair next with the Phantom :)

@Deezel177 Ares II 8 wire praise with the Phantom has been itching me for a while, but the fact I prefer LionHeart over "regular" Ares II with the Phantom had me second guessing. So I was looking at Leonidas and Eros II as well, 8 wires could be the magic number. Unless... not the same range (at all) but I'll have the chance to audition the Phantom with PW 1960 4 wires in a couple of weeks, any hint on that pairing? A friend of mine swears by it for the VE8... it would have to be a major mind blowing experience to even consider make the jump to that price range but who knows in this hobby :p

Where can i see a chart of the power output on dx200? Where did you get the 2700mw at 32ohm info from?

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #15,126 of 40,675
Hi thanks for the share and its amazing news that phantom scale so well sounds like an end game totl iem and man I am so proud of that, mine arriving next week.
The fact that you prefer the phantom over other iems is probably an indication that phantom is one hech of a audiophile grade iem :) maybe Tyll would place it on the wall of fame.

It will probably sound so beautifully on my hdv820.

I promise you that Tyll won't be putting it on any wall as EE won't do what it takes to get there.

Wow thats awsume when you have such freelly access to sennheiser gears. Its true they make nice stuff but its not the best but very good. I found the hdv820 price wise very compeling i got it new at 2k $
It is true you can probably use the ak380 as a dacamp mode from pc or android phone?

I was looking at fiio q5 it seems to be 1 heck of little device it also ussing dual dac ak4490 as AK . wonder how good that thing is. Of course I know your ak 380 should sound better ;p

For how you selling?

I sent you a PM as I don't want to take this thread off the subject that far. Keep in mind that just because two DAC's use the same chip, there are SOOOO many other things that are in play. I auditioned the Onkyo and Pioneer, Fiio and a couple of others in the under 1k range, but none did it for me. Again that's my ears and when I spend the money on a system, I want things to match and live up to all they can do, but that's me. :)

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #15,127 of 40,675
Depends what signature you prefer. Might help if you could share your preferences and what you are upgrading from.

I loved the pairing with my DX200 and AMP3, AMP4s, and AMP8. I love it even more now with my DX200Ti.

I'm currently using Chord Mojo Poly but am wondering if it'll scale even higher.

Has anyone heard and able to give a comparison with the Phantom paired with: (1) Mojo, (2) DX200, (3) W1MZ, (4) SP1000?

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #15,128 of 40,675
I'm currently using Chord Mojo Poly but am wondering if it'll scale even higher.

Has anyone heard and able to give a comparison with the Phantom paired with: (1) Mojo, (2) DX200, (3) W1MZ, (4) SP1000?

Looks like ctsooner22 could answer this ;p he is an expert.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #15,130 of 40,675
Looks like ctsooner22 could answer this ;p he is an expert.

Not even close to being an expert, but I'll try. I owned and sold Mojo. I have heard the Sony a lot. I own the 380cu and amp.

There are large price differences here. Mojo isn't in the convo. It's great at 500 or less, but it's not as open, as deep or as extended as the Sony or AK. There is a ceiling with the Mojo and the better IEM or HP you use, you will hear that fairly quickly I feel. The Sony WM1Z is a nice warm unit. It's got decent extension on top and strong tight bass, but I like the AK better for tonality. To me Tone is of UTMOST importance. I don't like overly warm as that's not accurate either. Based on what Nic and others have posted, the 1000 version takes the standard of the 380cu and gives it more power so you don't need an amp with it to get the BEST sound. The 1000cu extends teh highs even more and gives you what seems like a larger soundstage.

I have heard great things about the DX200 from many of you guys who own it. All are strong contenders in their price range, but to me, the AK is the best DAP on the market based on what I've heard and what others have posted.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #15,131 of 40,675
My Empire Legend X arrived a few weeks ago, this is my first weekend to listen to them.
I did run then in for a long time, they sound stunning, almost better then perfect!

Yes I did put the Legend X in the blender ... but only for the photo :)

I love the sound, listening to Time after Time from Miles Davis Live.... YOU ARE THERE, same Heart of Gold live from Neil Young that voicing pfff

The bass when listening to Dominic Miller's - London Paris Cardiff is so intense, deep, clean, his guitar-sound is so good on the Legend X.
Talking about guitar... Tony Joe White's - I Believe I've Lost My Way sound's so engaging I could listen this song for hours...

I am more then happy for waiting so long.. @Jack Vang, many thanks man!!

It's great to have you on team LX. They are something else! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back