Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 30, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #15,137 of 40,577
Dropping by this thread once again to ask if Zeus XR Universals are possible. Hoping they are because after some consideration, I think I've made positive progress in the direction of the Zeus.
Zeus are really great but too much technical IEMs for me and I think I prefer Legend X.

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #15,138 of 40,577
What is affordable to you? What DAC will you use with it? There are a ton of options and many more on the way, but desktop stuff that I'm familiar with are not known for the most part,in the headphone community. They are more for the 2 channel folks, like me, but there should be crossover.
Actually, and I know this is a dangerous thing to say out here, I haven't decided yet on a budget. I'm just exploring options/alternatives to a second DAP. I don't expect I will go up to the price range of TOTL DAPs, because then I would just buy the DAP.

What I am considering is maybe getting a decent enough desktop setup that I can use for multiple things. Primarily IEMs (so it needs to be hiss-free), but maybe also headphones and/or near-field speakers. That would make it a compliment to my DAP, rather than owning multiple DAPs. Because I haven't really looked into it beyond Hugo 2 and some basic DAC/Amps, I really have no idea what to look for and from about what budget it starts to make sense over simply getting a higher end DAP.

@natemact suggested the RME ADI-2 DAC, which I had a quick look at and looks like just the sort of thing that would work for me. Then of course he went on to tempt me with the DX200 and Amp8, which just left me confused and wishing I did not have an expensive move to do so I could buy it all. :wink:
Someone asked about pairings for the Phantom and if it scales. I use my Ayre QX5 and I promise you it SCALES. Dean has no idea how good this thing sounds when hooked up to a legit world class DAC/AMP/Streamer (a true digital hub for high end 2 channel audio). It's a 10k player give or take.

I think it's balls with the ak380cu and matching amp. Even without the amp, it's balls. I've had some other top end IEM's in finally and used the Ayre with them. They are limited in many ways that I won't share as I don't wan to say anything that would upset anyone. I'm one of the FEW who even use their IEM's on such a piece of equipment. lol. I promise folks that the Phantoms have plenty of quality and quantity in the bass, when it's on teh recording. It's there in spades and as for the top end, it's not just smooth, but bites plenty on sax and has incredible decay on piano notes or cymbals. I've posted in the beginning about that, so no need to go over it here.

I get a ton of that with the AK set up. I don't need any other cables right now either. I've had some of the top name silver adn silver/gold and gold/silver and copper....... None so far are as well rounded as the stock EA cable. Not saying I've heard all of them, but I've heard 5 different makers of cables and I wouldn't do an even up trade so far. Again, this is just me and my ear. I hope I don't upset anyone with this post as they are just my feelings. Thanks.
Yeah, $10k is a little out of my price range... :D

Have you heard the Ares II 8-wire? It might or might not work depending on what music you like to listen to, but for large scale classical symphonies it really helps create a concert hall experience. I have tried a few cables and it is always somewhat of a trade-off compared to the stock cable, but it is a lot of fun to play around with that and hear the differences.
Same desire here :D i fear that's why the Hugo TT2 will be mine when it's released @ October! I better won't tell my wife before it found a safe place on my desk...
The TT2 looks very interesting, but I don't even want to know how many puppies I would owe my wife if I were to buy that one! :D That said, she has been eyeing a $6k road bike, so maybe I can turn the tables and get her to buy that one so I can spend merrily on gear. ...although I could use a new bike as well. :p

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #15,139 of 40,577
So according your expertise which one would be better dx200 amp8 or fiio q5 a
Where can i see a chart of the power output on dx200? Where did you get the 2700mw at 32ohm info from?

I don't think Fiio Q5 and DX200 are in the same league, there are certainly not in the same price range.

It's the spec for AMP8 provided by iBasso's measurements.
It's not 2700mW into 32ohms, but 1,2W (1200mW) into 32 ohms.
2700mA is the rating for current intensity (ampere) not power (watts).

Intensity spec is not always listed, but one thing low impedance IEMs need is current more than power which is key to drive high impedance headphone loud enough and well enough.

Probably better to discuss all this on the DX200 thread, we're full off topic for the Empire thread :wink:

Will amp4 or amp8 for DX200 change the result or they are in different leaugue?
I tried the legends with my dx200 and amp 1, it sounds good of course, but pairs better with my Sony 1z definitely.

AMP1 is not the benchmark for what the DX200 can do IMHO, AMP4, 4S and especially AMP8 will make it a much closer comparison :) Performance wise, I guess we can say it's a close call with those AMPs and will depend on preferences (some like @Whitigir have sold their 1Z and kept the DX200). Now the 1Z has a signature of its own, the build is that of a highly premium DAP akin to the SP1000, and their UI is more polished but the price difference makes the DX200 an interesting contender.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #15,140 of 40,577
Had the old Zeus and the Arthur, then now the Legend X. Briefly tried the Zeus XR.

The Zeus siblings are wonderful but to me they are just another flagship model like how everyone else is doing it, despite EE's own technical jargons and voodoos. Have heard too many similarly brilliant products such that they are equally brilliant but without too much character of its own. Good thing for many (especially for those folks looking for their one and only endgame piece) but not so good for people like me who keep multiple iems.

The Legend X is truly something else, something beyond and above the "flagship" title. It's trying to do what no one had ever succeeded in doing, and that's a big success. I'm NOT a basshead and still sticks to a UERR or MH335DWSR when critical listening is needed but have found myself reaching for the LX on a daily basis way more often. It just sounds so good, no matter u buy into the EE techies or not, AND it's not just about the bass. In fact in the long run I believe it COULD be wthe one and only endgame for most - Just listened to the Shosty Cello Concerto No.1 with the LX and it's awesome, with all the inner details and timbre information nicely delivered and a more organic presentation than my UERR which is my go-to classical iem.

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #15,141 of 40,577
Really beutifull we can see that big monster DD woofer heher looos like he has hes own output passage.
I own hd800s and se846. I have auditioned z1r and to my surprise I didnt like it at all the tuning they made was weird to me and I think they are to mids high. I had 1 song that had a hiss in a femal chinease vocal. I was what is going on??? So hook my hd800s and no hiss. I also the bass to be very prominent in the z1r and very bouncy but as impressive as my se846 hehe. I guess theyre not my taste.

I baught a used universal phantom here on headfi it should arrive by the end of next week. I chose phantom because they are more natural and more real life sounding like and same time warm musical and some saying thicker sounding which to me sounds as my prefered sig. Cant wait to try it.

Phantom sound more like HD650 or HD6xx

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #15,142 of 40,577
Actually, and I know this is a dangerous thing to say out here, I haven't decided yet on a budget. I'm just exploring options/alternatives to a second DAP. I don't expect I will go up to the price range of TOTL DAPs, because then I would just buy the DAP.

What I am considering is maybe getting a decent enough desktop setup that I can use for multiple things. Primarily IEMs (so it needs to be hiss-free), but maybe also headphones and/or near-field speakers. That would make it a compliment to my DAP, rather than owning multiple DAPs. Because I haven't really looked into it beyond Hugo 2 and some basic DAC/Amps, I really have no idea what to look for and from about what budget it starts to make sense over simply getting a higher end DAP.

@natemact suggested the RME ADI-2 DAC, which I had a quick look at and looks like just the sort of thing that would work for me. Then of course he went on to tempt me with the DX200 and Amp8, which just left me confused and wishing I did not have an expensive move to do so I could buy it all. :wink:

Yeah, $10k is a little out of my price range... :D

Have you heard the Ares II 8-wire? It might or might not work depending on what music you like to listen to, but for large scale classical symphonies it really helps create a concert hall experience. I have tried a few cables and it is always somewhat of a trade-off compared to the stock cable, but it is a lot of fun to play around with that and hear the differences.

The TT2 looks very interesting, but I don't even want to know how many puppies I would owe my wife if I were to buy that one! :D That said, she has been eyeing a $6k road bike, so maybe I can turn the tables and get her to buy that one so I can spend merrily on gear. ...although I could use a new bike as well. :p

I recommend the Audio-GD NFB-28. Powerful enough to drive any headphone in existence, and yet hiss free on even my most sensitive IEMs.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #15,143 of 40,577
I recommend the Audio-GD NFB-28. Powerful enough to drive any headphone in existence, and yet hiss free on even my most sensitive IEMs.

Budget it kind of needed. If I said that for 6300 usd you can get what I own, is that an option? Do you want a streamer built in or just a top fully balanced DAC/Amp? For my money, the Ayre Codex beats the Hugo 2 by a fair amount. They made the Pono, which is still possibly the top sounding DAC/Amp under 1500, but terrible UI, form factor etc... I spoke with them about this adn they realize it and that's why they are no longer making portable devices. (the reason I'm selling my QX5 is because I have the best server, streamer, DAC that I've ever heard (and my close friends both own the Light Harmonic, DAvinci mk2 which is a 40k DAC and I like it better than the full 100k DCS stack or the full MSB for the same price). I can't have everything, lol :)...I just never mentioned that I'm selling it over here, because most IEM folks won't want to spend that for a top DAC (I bought this over the Chord Dave and it wasn't even close to 5 of us who spent countless hours auditioning both in our systems).

As you guys can see there is a whole world of 2 channel gear that would be awesome in this world of desktop, but folks don't know about it. They know Chord and AK (still the best portable gear). I wonder how the new MacIntosh DAP sounds? I looks wonderful and Mac gear is decent in the 2 channel world.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #15,144 of 40,577
I don't think Fiio Q5 and DX200 are in the same league, there are certainly not in the same price range.

It's the spec for AMP8 provided by iBasso's measurements.
It's not 2700mW into 32ohms, but 1,2W (1200mW) into 32 ohms.
2700mA is the rating for current intensity (ampere) not power (watts).

Intensity spec is not always listed, but one thing low impedance IEMs need is current more than power which is key to drive high impedance headphone loud enough and well enough.

Probably better to discuss all this on the DX200 thread, we're full off topic for the Empire thread :wink:

AMP1 is not the benchmark for what the DX200 can do IMHO, AMP4, 4S and especially AMP8 will make it a much closer comparison :) Performance wise, I guess we can say it's a close call with those AMPs and will depend on preferences (some like @Whitigir have sold their 1Z and kept the DX200). Now the 1Z has a signature of its own, the build is that of a highly premium DAP akin to the SP1000, and their UI is more polished but the price difference makes the DX200 an interesting contender.

Yeas its all to benefit our ee products so its alright if we talk about it I guess :)
1200mw and 2700ma i guess thats quiet a lot of power. Maybe thats more mw then what my hdv820 can output even if its 2.5wats rated? Dx200 Sounds so powerfull seriusly.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #15,145 of 40,577
Phantom sound more like HD650 or HD6xx

I heard the new 660 and liked the sound cause it was more pleasant then my hd800s. It lacked a lot on the rest in comparison. Phantom should be way better then hd660

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #15,146 of 40,577
Budget it kind of needed. If I said that for 6300 usd you can get what I own, is that an option? Do you want a streamer built in or just a top fully balanced DAC/Amp? For my money, the Ayre Codex beats the Hugo 2 by a fair amount. They made the Pono, which is still possibly the top sounding DAC/Amp under 1500, but terrible UI, form factor etc... I spoke with them about this adn they realize it and that's why they are no longer making portable devices. (the reason I'm selling my QX5 is because I have the best server, streamer, DAC that I've ever heard (and my close friends both own the Light Harmonic, DAvinci mk2 which is a 40k DAC and I like it better than the full 100k DCS stack or the full MSB for the same price). I can't have everything, lol :)...I just never mentioned that I'm selling it over here, because most IEM folks won't want to spend that for a top DAC (I bought this over the Chord Dave and it wasn't even close to 5 of us who spent countless hours auditioning both in our systems).

As you guys can see there is a whole world of 2 channel gear that would be awesome in this world of desktop, but folks don't know about it. They know Chord and AK (still the best portable gear). I wonder how the new MacIntosh DAP sounds? I looks wonderful and Mac gear is decent in the 2 channel world.

Thats crazzy would be a super feeling trying out such amazing gear that you have he. Tought iem guys probably go 100% portable cause its convenient and easy to cary on with you.
I also believe eventualy iem will sound as good as big headphones to.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #15,147 of 40,577
I promise you that Tyll won't be putting it on any wall as EE won't do what it takes to get there.

I sent you a PM as I don't want to take this thread off the subject that far. Keep in mind that just because two DAC's use the same chip, there are SOOOO many other things that are in play. I auditioned the Onkyo and Pioneer, Fiio and a couple of others in the under 1k range, but none did it for me. Again that's my ears and when I spend the money on a system, I want things to match and live up to all they can do, but that's me. :)

Hmmm why wouldnt Tyll put phantom on wall of fame if they are that good ? Cause price ratio?

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #15,148 of 40,577
Yeas its all to benefit our ee products so its alright if we talk about it I guess :)
1200mw and 2700ma i guess thats quiet a lot of power. Maybe thats more mw then what my hdv820 can output even if its 2.5wats rated? Dx200 Sounds so powerfull seriusly.

I think we talked about this already, HDV820 is more powerful than DX200 in terms of power but is not recommended by sennheiser for impedance under 16ohm, apparently output impedance is over 40ohm which will greatly affect the Phantom signature. It could still be something you like as you do with the SE846, but it has clearly been designed to drive HD800 / high impedance headphones, and the Phantom won't sound as EE intended them to sound as it will skew the signature.

I remember running the SE846 with a 10ohm output impedance source and it didn't sound nearly as good (in fact it was quite muddy) as when I upgraded my source to a <1ohm source at the time. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #15,149 of 40,577
Hmmm why wouldnt Tyll put phantom on wall of fame if they are that good ? Cause price ratio?

Politics that I won’t get into. There was once a thread on his forced retirement months back where this was brought up.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #15,150 of 40,577
So I’ve just made a huge jump . I’ve upgraded my order from bravado to legend X . I just thought it’s best to do it now than wait and deal with the itch to upgrade later , when I’ve already got a custom bravado, which wouldn’t fetch enough resale value if I decided to sell it . Happy days . Oh and they still gave me the CanJam offer . 10% off and free shipping..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back