Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 30, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #15,166 of 40,559
weed (and psychedelics in general) is like a knife , you can use it to slice some bread (good use) or you can use it to slice your veins (bad use) - depends how smart/mature (or hould we say....smarture?) you are with it

not a tobacco smoker or alcohol fan , but i have been enjoying weed in moderate and mature use for many years now

still only things i can call myself addicted to is music and coffee - simply can not function without these 2

speaking of music , i just discovered this HUGE mix by Lexicon Avenue tracks & remixes , one of the best things i have heard in the prog house comps lately

@NaiveSound , here is your daily fix bro enjoy

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #15,167 of 40,559
weed (and psychedelics in general) is like a knife , you can use it to slice some bread (good use) or you can use it to slice your veins (bad use) - depends how smart/mature (or hould we say....smarture?) you are with it

not a tobacco smoker or alcohol fan , but i have been enjoying weed in moderate and mature use for many years now

still only things i can call myself addicted to is music and coffee - simply can not function without these 2

speaking of music , i just discovered this HUGE mix by Lexicon Avenue tracks & remixes , one of the best things i have heard in the prog house comps lately

@NaiveSound , here is your daily fix bro enjoy

Jeez you saved the day again! Gonna enjoy me 1 hit as well, proedros, wish we could smoke and talk about gear together, or just slurp on Zeus

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #15,168 of 40,559
Jeez you saved the day again! Gonna enjoy me 1 hit as well, proedros, wish we could smoke and talk about gear together, or just slurp on Zeus

maybe one day my friend we'll meet like a great Ronin tribe , from the 4 corners of the world

btw keep this name they are blowing my head today with their deep prog sound - Lexicon Avenue

here , some more music by them to get you through the day (and your hits :dt880smile: ) - feel free to google them at youtube/soundcloud for more stuff by them

2 official releases by them

and 3 radio mixes/remixes by them , great stuff make sure you have some water and sugar near by :ghost:

and cause i am in a good/santa klaus mood , here is a soundcloud link with lots of shows by them - chances are you will finih your hits before these shows

https://www.mixcloud. com/discover/lexicon-avenue/ (copy paste the wjole link without gap between mixcloud/com)

enjoy

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #15,169 of 40,559
maybe one day my friend we'll meet like a great Ronin tribe , from the 4 corners of the world

btw keep this name they are blowing my head today with their deep prog sound - Lexicon Avenue

here , some more music by them to get you through the day (and your hits :dt880smile: ) - feel free to google them at youtube/soundcloud for more stuff by them

and 3 radio mixes/remixes by them , great stuff make sure you have some water and sugar near by :ghost:

and cause i am in a good/santa klaus mood , here is a soundcloud link with lots of shows by them - chances are you will finih your hits before these shows

https://www.mixcloud. com/discover/lexicon-avenue/ (copy paste the wjole link without gap between mixcloud/com)

enjoy

Thanks a million

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #15,170 of 40,559
Hmmm why wouldnt Tyll put phantom on wall of fame if they are that good ? Cause price ratio?

Tyll’s retired and I’m pretty sure the last CIEM he tried was the JH13FP. Despite his immensely extensive knowledge in the headphone realm (and his 24-CIEM shootout ain't bad either), he's much more up-to-date on the over-ears than in-ears. John Grandberg's the in-ear guy at InnerFidelity and while I'm pretty sure the Zeus-XRA is on the Hall-of-Fame, I don't think he's tried the Phantom yet.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #15,171 of 40,559

enjoy

Proedros,

You listen to Prog/House type of music. You should be using Legend X.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #15,172 of 40,559
Tyll’s retired and I’m pretty sure the last CIEM he tried was the JH13FP. Despite his immensely extensive knowledge in the headphone realm (and his 24-CIEM shootout ain't bad either), he's much more up-to-date on the over-ears than in-ears. John Grandberg's the in-ear guy at InnerFidelity and while I'm pretty sure the Zeus-XRA is on the Hall-of-Fame, I don't think he's tried the Phantom yet.

Well they probably praising the zeus over legend x and phantoms. My phantom should arrive by the end of this week. I am expecting alot of good performance from them. Coming from hd800s which are also a very refined hp specialy in the highs. Hopping for phantom to bring more fun into my musical world.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #15,173 of 40,559
Well they probably praising the zeus over legend x and phantoms. My phantom should arrive by the end of this week. I am expecting alot of good performance from them. Coming from hd800s which are also a very refined hp specialy in the highs. Hopping for phantom to bring more fun into my musical world.

Nah, John reviewed the XRA’s quite a while before the LX and Phantom came out IIRC. Coming from the HD800s, the Phantom will sound almost alien to you in tone, so I’d recommend you give it a fair amount of time for your brain to burn-in and adapt to the Phantom’s signature. I think you’ll find its tonal balance, vocal prowess and bass perfomance immensely pleasing. :wink:

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #15,174 of 40,559
Nah, John reviewed the XRA’s quite a while before the LX and Phantom came out IIRC. Coming from the HD800s, the Phantom will sound almost alien to you in tone, so I’d recommend you give it a fair amount of time for your brain to burn-in and adapt to the Phantom’s signature. I think you’ll find its tonal balance, vocal prowess and bass perfomance immensely pleasing. :wink:

Yeaaa and the treble smoothness to I always had that issue on my hd800s half my music seemed a bit to high in the highs got tiered fighting it for 600hours now lol I gave up.

You say allien but I initially came frome shure se846 to hd800s so I feel I am more like coming back to my normal world haha.
Though I find se846 way behind hd800s in reaveling sq specialy mids and highs are so lacking behind but they are fun and lushyy.
It feela like hd800s is signing music and se846 just playing it.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #15,175 of 40,559
I recommend the Audio-GD NFB-28. Powerful enough to drive any headphone in existence, and yet hiss free on even my most sensitive IEMs.
Thanks! Will add some reviews of it to my reading list.
Budget it kind of needed. If I said that for 6300 usd you can get what I own, is that an option? Do you want a streamer built in or just a top fully balanced DAC/Amp? For my money, the Ayre Codex beats the Hugo 2 by a fair amount. They made the Pono, which is still possibly the top sounding DAC/Amp under 1500, but terrible UI, form factor etc... I spoke with them about this adn they realize it and that's why they are no longer making portable devices. (the reason I'm selling my QX5 is because I have the best server, streamer, DAC that I've ever heard (and my close friends both own the Light Harmonic, DAvinci mk2 which is a 40k DAC and I like it better than the full 100k DCS stack or the full MSB for the same price). I can't have everything, lol :)...I just never mentioned that I'm selling it over here, because most IEM folks won't want to spend that for a top DAC (I bought this over the Chord Dave and it wasn't even close to 5 of us who spent countless hours auditioning both in our systems).

As you guys can see there is a whole world of 2 channel gear that would be awesome in this world of desktop, but folks don't know about it. They know Chord and AK (still the best portable gear). I wonder how the new MacIntosh DAP sounds? I looks wonderful and Mac gear is decent in the 2 channel world.
Oh dear, for a $6,300 budget I think I would owe my wife half a dozen puppies of the biggest breed around. :D A little too high for me sadly. It seems that the 2-channel stuff is pretty far up from most of the portable stuff I know.

I think a DAC/Amp should be fine if can hook it up to my Macbook. That is where I do most of my listening (my work bubble) and every time my AK70 needs a charge I switch to listening directly from my Macbook, although I can't use my Phantom then because of the hiss. I have so far looked at the usual suspects, Mojo, Hugo 2, Ifi Nano/Micro BL, Schiit stack, O2/ODAC (JDS Labs), that sort of stuff. Anything beyond that is pretty much new to me, so I am also open to reconsidering the whole setup and taking the Macbook out of the equation to get a dedicated setup. Or, if it all becomes too expensive, opt for a second DAP.
I am able to buy weed due to my MS but chose not to. I have cognitive issues anyway plus I can’t leave the state with it so it’s not worth it. Plenty of friends do, which is cool.
Good choice. In my experience anything that messes with your brain is simply not worth it, especially if it is listed as a controlled substance. Luckily I never had issues with my meds and even got a 6-month supply through customs, but the paperwork is a pain and you can never be quite sure how customs will respond. Now that I have switched to natural alternatives (e.g. exercise, music) I am mentally so much more stable and able to enjoy life a lot more. Plus, all the money I saved has gone to my gear! :D

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #15,176 of 40,559
The LX is an incredible iem and you love it immediately. However it has a very specific basshead ttunning and i don’t know if after 1 month it will be the same and if it is as universal as U18 for example, less impressive and demonstrative but more neutral and all rounder.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #15,177 of 40,559
Proedros,

You listen to Prog/House type of music. You should be using Legend X.

i should have done many things in life , this is the bitter truth of existence :eye:

regarding Legend i am not sure if it's the right signature for me (maybe too much bass?) plus i am 2K short so yeah no Legend (or any other TOTL ciem) for me atm

Zeus XR is fine with prog house btw , in fact i sometimes turn the bass down a notch or two (so i don't think i would like the elevated bass of Legend)

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #15,178 of 40,559

I love how you put things. Thanks. :wink:

Thanks! Will add some reviews of it to my reading list.

Oh dear, for a $6,300 budget I think I would owe my wife half a dozen puppies of the biggest breed around. :D A little too high for me sadly. It seems that the 2-channel stuff is pretty far up from most of the portable stuff I know.

I think a DAC/Amp should be fine if can hook it up to my Macbook. That is where I do most of my listening (my work bubble) and every time my AK70 needs a charge I switch to listening directly from my Macbook, although I can't use my Phantom then because of the hiss. I have so far looked at the usual suspects, Mojo, Hugo 2, Ifi Nano/Micro BL, Schiit stack, O2/ODAC (JDS Labs), that sort of stuff. Anything beyond that is pretty much new to me, so I am also open to reconsidering the whole setup and taking the Macbook out of the equation to get a dedicated setup. Or, if it all becomes too expensive, opt for a second DAP.

Good choice. In my experience anything that messes with your brain is simply not worth it, especially if it is listed as a controlled substance. Luckily I never had issues with my meds and even got a 6-month supply through customs, but the paperwork is a pain and you can never be quite sure how customs will respond. Now that I have switched to natural alternatives (e.g. exercise, music) I am mentally so much more stable and able to enjoy life a lot more. Plus, all the money I saved has gone to my gear! :D

This is why I always ask about budget. There is always a budget. Lol. You need to look at the Ayre Codex. Anyone who has or is looking at the Hogo 2 or even there next one needs to check it out. It’s the same folks who designed and made the Pono which was the best sounding under 1k DAP for me. It just wasn’t the UI etc that was needed. Codex is designed and built to sell for 5k. They sell for USD 1800 I believe. It’s a long story that I’m not able to get into, but it’s a true giant killer. If anyone wants to get one, let me know as I know a dealer in NJ who is outstanding and sells a ton of them. It’s the smaller sibling of my 10k one. The balanced it a true dual differential balanced design. Well worth the Pono connection for home use Even single ended to me sounds much ballsier and refined than the Chords or others I’ve heard. I like it MUCH better than the Woo amps too.

I sent someone from EE to audition it and in single ended he was shocked at how his X or Phantom (not sure which he had) scaled. I have a friend who owns a 500k system and owns a AK380cu and amp like mine for portable use and a Codex for his totl ciems at home.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #15,179 of 40,559
This is why I always ask about budget. There is always a budget. Lol. You need to look at the Ayre Codex. Anyone who has or is looking at the Hogo 2 or even there next one needs to check it out. It’s the same folks who designed and made the Pono which was the best sounding under 1k DAP for me. It just wasn’t the UI etc that was needed. Codex is designed and built to sell for 5k. They sell for USD 1800 I believe. It’s a long story that I’m not able to get into, but it’s a true giant killer. If anyone wants to get one, let me know as I know a dealer in NJ who is outstanding and sells a ton of them. It’s the smaller sibling of my 10k one. The balanced it a true dual differential balanced design. Well worth the Pono connection for home use Even single ended to me sounds much ballsier and refined than the Chords or others I’ve heard. I like it MUCH better than the Woo amps too.

I sent someone from EE to audition it and in single ended he was shocked at how his X or Phantom (not sure which he had) scaled. I have a friend who owns a 500k system and owns a AK380cu and amp like mine for portable use and a Codex for his totl ciems at home.
Thank you my friend! Will add it to the reading list, very interesting! I was always curious about the Pono player and really disappointed it never led to a more widely available DAP.

It would be really nice to have something more to use, as I have only been working for a few hours today and already my AK70 is below half its battery. (Used it for training this morning as well, so I might start by adding the little Shanling M0 just for that.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back