Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 16, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #14,746 of 40,559
Thanks for the update Devon. Things happen. Hopefully it will all get set straight soon. That's awesome for the tour. Folks will be blown away by these two. NO way are either an 'entry' level. Just shows what Dean is capable of doing. My wife's Bravado's are just sick sounding. Not quite Phantoms :wink:, but since mine are custom, she will never know the difference, ha....thanks again @flinkenick for advising me early in my process. I'm a blessed guy and I know it.

Thanks lots! I definitely agree that people will be surprised by both these monitors and I'm super excited for the impressions to start rolling in.

Hi Devon,

I'm considering upgrading from my Spartan IVs at some point and really love their detailed sound signature but would appreciate deeper sub-bass and greater resolution if possible. How would the ESR and Phantom compare in this regard?

I'd agree with @ranfan and say Phantom would be a great upgrade for you. Especially since you are looking for sub-bass and resolution, I'd say Phantom over ESR.
The ESR is closer to the Spartan since the tuning of the ESR was actually based off of the Spartan.

hey guys, currently using a campfire atlas and was thinking about switching to a Zeus, Legend X, or Phantom. I mainly listen to EDM. I am not a bass head but I do enjoy bass a lot. I also love love the clarity (ex:andros) but sometimes that clarity makes the sound thin or lean.

I want a warm sound but not too warm, i need clarity and that bass that gives you that oomph and full sound. something that’s energetic and fun, clear, full, big bass (that doesn’t muddle the sound) and overall really lively. i want something that makes me feel the music. what would you say the best one for me is?

and as for what are the differences between the 3? which is the newest one? which is the most popular one? which one does everyone want to get?

thanks! y’all are amazing

Here's my two cents:
Legend X would be my top pick for you. The LX basically fits your description perfectly. It's extremely musical, has powerful bass (but not overwhelming), and sounds great with EDM.

The differences between the 3....... well, there's a ton. It lies in driver count, configuration, crossover system, tuning, etc... they are all quite different both in composition and in sound. :) The Legend X and Phantom were both released earlier this year as the flagship model of their respective series, X and EP series. The Zeus XR is one of the most favored models of our previous lineup, the Olympus series and is now available as part of our Legacy lineup along with the Spartan IV from the Olympus line. Hopefully this helps you in your decision.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #14,747 of 40,559
Thanks lots! I definitely agree that people will be surprised by both these monitors and I'm super excited for the impressions to start rolling in.

I'd agree with @ranfan and say Phantom would be a great upgrade for you. Especially since you are looking for sub-bass and resolution, I'd say Phantom over ESR.
The ESR is closer to the Spartan since the tuning of the ESR was actually based off of the Spartan.

Here's my two cents:
Legend X would be my top pick for you. The LX basically fits your description perfectly. It's extremely musical, has powerful bass (but not overwhelming), and sounds great with EDM.

The differences between the 3....... well, there's a ton. It lies in driver count, configuration, crossover system, tuning, etc... they are all quite different both in composition and in sound. :) The Legend X and Phantom were both released earlier this year as the flagship model of their respective series, X and EP series. The Zeus XR is one of the most favored models of our previous lineup, the Olympus series and is now available as part of our Legacy lineup along with the Spartan IV from the Olympus line. Hopefully this helps you in your decision.
Nice recommendjng the most expensive options xD
On another note, I will still maintain I love my Spartans to death, so much so that I think it's better than the esr due to a wierd upper treble (subjective)

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #14,748 of 40,559
Zeus XR sounds great with 2000-3 prog house , i usually pick the R setting for a more spacious soundstage , but sometimes the XIV setting is more euphoric and banging (due to the slight bass/mids lift)

great CIEM

hey @NaiveSound , do you miss your Zeus ? check this amazing comp , Danny is killing it here

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #14,750 of 40,559
On another note, I will still maintain I love my Spartans to death, so much so that I think it's better than the esr due to a wierd upper treble (subjective)

You're making me want to put them in right now. :D

Jul 17, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #14,752 of 40,559
I know the LX may not be as technically "accurate" as the Phantom or as resolving on the top as say the U18, but I swear it makes the hair on my arms stand up.

Listening to this right now, the LX portrays so much emotion in its reproduction it just moves you.

320x320.jpg

Jul 17, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #14,753 of 40,559
Zeus XR sounds great with 2000-3 prog house , i usually pick the R setting for a more spacious soundstage , but sometimes the XIV setting is more euphoric and banging (due to the slight bass/mids lift)

great CIEM

hey @NaiveSound , do you miss your Zeus ? check this amazing comp , Danny is killing it here

I know I miss my Zeus

Jul 17, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #14,754 of 40,559
I know the LX may not be as technically "accurate" as the Phantom or as resolving on the top as say the U18, but I swear it makes the hair on my arms stand up.

Listening to this right now, the LX portrays so much emotion in its reproduction it just moves you.

Surprisingly I find my LX fairly accurate and the trebles are as airy and resolving as my U18, despite the clear treble emphasis on the latter. For a unashamedly bassy iem its mids and highs are as natural and neutral as you could possibly hope for, and that I dare say is a feat no brands had been able to achieve before. There is no problem going classical with them.

For ultimate accuracy air and details and for work purpose I turn to the UERR, for a fuller richer and more rhythmic experience there's my LX, and for sheer vocal bliss and intimacy I put on my HYLA. The U18 is dropping in the pecking order and falling into obscurity in my lineup...........gosh.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #14,755 of 40,559
I know I miss my Zeus

well naive sold them because he had to gather some needed funds, so you can't say something there i guess

i don't think i could find a better ciem for 1500$ (plus you get 2 TOTL ciems in 1 shell) so i will probably sell my NT6 if i need money i guess

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #14,756 of 40,559
Surprisingly I find my LX fairly accurate and the trebles are as airy and resolving as my U18, despite the clear treble emphasis on the latter. For a unashamedly bassy iem its mids and highs are as natural and neutral as you could possibly hope for, and that I dare say is a feat no brands had been able to achieve before. There is no problem going classical with them.

For ultimate accuracy air and details and for work purpose I turn to the UERR, for a fuller richer and more rhythmic experience there's my LX, and for sheer vocal bliss and intimacy I put on my HYLA. The U18 is dropping in the pecking order and falling into obscurity in my lineup...........gosh.

Hey,

Would you recommend the U18 or LX for EDM (Mainly House like Youmb Bombs, etc) What should I go for? I'm looking for clarity but also that feeling that makes you feel the music. It needs the bass. How does the bass compare and the soundstage?

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #14,757 of 40,559
I had a chance to demo the following yesterday:

Hermes - man, this thing's attack is fast. It handles congestion with ease and transparency. Probably my 3rd favourite EE IEM.

Apollo - mega coloured but mega musical. 3D sounding almost. Huge sound coming at you from everywhere and from all frequencies. Overwhelming for my auditory senses. Very new type of sound to me (only other time I heard this kind of 3D-ish effect is from the Campfire Atlas).

I think from EE things I've demo'd, my preferences are: Zeus XR > Legend X > Spartan > Hermes > Phantom > Bravado > Supra-II > Apollo > Cerbus

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #14,758 of 40,559

I've got expensive taste :) haha

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #14,760 of 40,559
I had a chance to demo the following yesterday:

Hermes - man, this thing's attack is fast. It handles congestion with ease and transparency. Probably my 3rd favourite EE IEM.

Apollo - mega coloured but mega musical. 3D sounding almost. Huge sound coming at you from everywhere and from all frequencies. Overwhelming for my auditory senses. Very new type of sound to me (only other time I heard this kind of 3D-ish effect is from the Campfire Atlas).

I think from EE things I've demo'd, my preferences are: Zeus XR > Legend X > Spartan > Hermes > Phantom > Bravado > Supra-II > Apollo > Cerbus
Really like how you showed that IEMs don't have to be more expensive to suit a preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back