Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 18, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #14,776 of 40,559
Yes. The interesting thing about the brain is that it IS selective. EVERYTHING our senses deliver to it (and that means everything we see, hear, taste, feel on our skin, etc.) is filtered to prevent us from sensory overload.
The inability of the brain to filter information is essentially severe Autism, where the subject is incapable of functioning as a human being because their senses are constantly bombarding them with torrents of raw sensory information. My supposition is that those afflicted by Autism often possess above-average hearing capabilities and possibly even the fabled audiophile "golden ears" in some cases. Perhaps there may also be a link between OCD and hearing acuity, as I believe listening is a skill which can be trained and those affected by OCD may naturally examine the data their senses provide more intently.

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #14,777 of 40,559
I'm a special education teacher. I have had a fair number of students with autism, ranging from severe to what is commonly called (incorrectly) Asberger's. Basically (and this is very simplified) they live in their own (internal) world and have an inability to decipher what we call the real world. Higher-functioning autistics are able to learn social cues and behaviors that we non-autistics learn relatively automatically as we grow up, and this allows them to better assimilate into what we politely call "society." I have not found anything having to do with 'audiophile ears" in the hundreds of autistic students I have worked with (middle and high school) over the past twenty years. Higher-functioning autistics seem to have the same listening preferences and abilities as their "regular" peers, although I have noticed that many of them seem to like video games more than music. Part of that has to do with, perhaps, their inability to make sense of lyrics which contain more complex emotions. Physical touch can be painful and confusing to them, as well. They do have some interesting memory skills at times, and the really-higher-level autistics can be VERY bright indeed. Several of my favorite students have been autistic. I work with mild-moderate students, so have students with a wide variety of disabilities (we list fourteen, but sometimes you get students with multiples).

For a better understanding of autism (and I show this to my students), check out the BBC documentary on Temple Grandin, The Woman Who Thinks Like A Cow. Possibly the best example we have of what it is like to be autistic.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5oi0xq

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #14,778 of 40,559
Don't try and understand Pinky. There be monsters in them waters.
It was more the park with a trench coat I was thinking, but I guess it could be monsters in the water.

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #14,779 of 40,559
I'm a special education teacher. I have had a fair number of students with autism, ranging from severe to what is commonly called (incorrectly) Asberger's. Basically (and this is very simplified) they live in their own (internal) world and have an inability to decipher what we call the real world. Higher-functioning autistics are able to learn social cues and behaviors that we non-autistics learn relatively automatically as we grow up, and this allows them to better assimilate into what we politely call "society." I have not found anything having to do with 'audiophile ears" in the hundreds of autistic students I have worked with (middle and high school) over the past twenty years. Higher-functioning autistics seem to have the same listening preferences and abilities as their "regular" peers, although I have noticed that many of them seem to like video games more than music. Part of that has to do with, perhaps, their inability to make sense of lyrics which contain more complex emotions. Physical touch can be painful and confusing to them, as well. They do have some interesting memory skills at times, and the really-higher-level autistics can be VERY bright indeed. Several of my favorite students have been autistic. I work with mild-moderate students, so have students with a wide variety of disabilities (we list fourteen, but sometimes you get students with multiples).

For a better understanding of autism (and I show this to my students), check out the BBC documentary on Temple Grandin, The Woman Who Thinks Like A Cow. Possibly the best example we have of what it is like to be autistic.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5oi0xq

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Dude, thanks so much for doing what you do. I have a. son who's fairly high functioning. HE has Autism as well as Sensory Integrative Dysfunction. He will be a JR in college and is doing pretty good, but it's brutal for him in so many ways. He learns by seeing. He plays games as you stated. He loves music and has always listened with me, but he doesn't even understand well recorded anty9ing. I've tried to get him better ear buds and headphones for years and he doesn't care. Even if he did, I don't think he'd be able to even articulate it, lol. It's taken me years to learn how to even relate to him. That doc was incredible for so many reasons. I was in tears often during it (we MS folks often cry at commercials though, lol). Great movie for anyone who is part of the food chain :wink:. great post by you and thanks again.

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #14,780 of 40,559
Glad you enjoyed it. Hang in there, it's worth it. Just a different paradigm. Have you tried lots of different kinds of music with him? Some of these kids are really big on math (it has understandable rules) and music that is math-oriented might please him. As to "better" sounding, it probably doesn't matter to him so roll with it. My 15-year-old just uses Apple earbuds and his phone and he's happy. I let him try mine every year or two but he doesn't really care.

My favorites in the documentary are her talking about not understanding the women's magazines and movies, the "itch" discussion, and the "loud" machine when she's giving a speech. Even if you folks don't really care about autism, it's an interesting watch just to learn how other people feel and think.

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #14,782 of 40,559
I'm probably older than Dude and I'm not old, lmao. Matthew loves math. My ex and I are good advocates. We figured it out early adn got him into the birth to three program and have pushed everyone since. He's just a kind guy who is figuring out what feelings are and how he has them. It's pretty cool. He's at Penn College of Technology doing Manufacturing Engineering with a focus on 3D printing. Working on getting him to do his Spring semester this next year in Israel. It's nice when you have a good kid as everyone pulls for him and works hard trying to make sure he can be successful. He LOVES music. Not sure If I said that properly. He loves rock mostly, but is sensitive to loud noises. He loves fireworks (light and color), but not the loudness, unlike Ben Afflick in The Accountant, lol.

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #14,784 of 40,559
Seventy-one. Is that ancient? Second-year boomer. I recall watching the Army-McCarthy hearings (look them up). I saw President Eisenhower give a speech when I was nine or ten. All those oldies you kids listen to? They aren't to me. I went to Disneyland the year it opened. And "classic cars" to me are those made before WW ll. The ones from the 50's and 60's are the ones I grew up with.

My older boy is 40. Do I need to say, different mothers.

My younger is planning on engineering as well. Attending a STEM school in that program.

Having good kids makes the whole thing that much easier, though having a teen in the house can be a trial. We'll get through it, he's a great kid, going for his 4th Degree Black Belt (Kenpo) in a few months, but he's still 15 and spends a lot of time on his PS4 yelling at/with his friends.

Early intervention is the key to autism. With it, no matter the severity, things will be better.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #14,785 of 40,559
Well alright! I didn't think 'The (old)Dude' would push much up over 60-65 : )

You and my pops, same thing, knocking up the younger ladies into your mid 50's. You old dawgs you! :D

You've definitely seen some big changes throughout your life, brought by on by social, political, economical, scientific, religious evolution....but ya, that opening day at Disney climbed pretty high on your list! :beyersmile: Take that Neil, Buzz and the other guy.

Just razzing : } Just like the last two deeply-hearted members to share their feelings with the group I too love the folks here:wink: I'm gonna toss on that doc on this weekend!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #14,786 of 40,559
Seventy-one. Is that ancient? Second-year boomer. I recall watching the Army-McCarthy hearings (look them up). I saw President Eisenhower give a speech when I was nine or ten. All those oldies you kids listen to? They aren't to me. I went to Disneyland the year it opened. And "classic cars" to me are those made before WW ll. The ones from the 50's and 60's are the ones I grew up with.

My older boy is 40. Do I need to say, different mothers.

My younger is planning on engineering as well. Attending a STEM school in that program.

Having good kids makes the whole thing that much easier, though having a teen in the house can be a trial. We'll get through it, he's a great kid, going for his 4th Degree Black Belt (Kenpo) in a few months, but he's still 15 and spends a lot of time on his PS4 yelling at/with his friends.

Early intervention is the key to autism. With it, no matter the severity, things will be better.
Holy smokes! Thats ancient. Im forty one and I cant imagine being sixty

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #14,787 of 40,559
Well alright! I didn't think 'The (old)Dude' would push much up over 60-65 : )

You and my pops, same thing, knocking up the younger ladies into your mid 50's. You old dawgs you! :D

You've definitely seen some big changes throughout your life, brought by on by social, political, economical, scientific, religious evolution....but ya....Disney Land!!......Number three on your list too!...Just. Wow

Just razzing : } Pretty much always. I too love the folks here, just like the last two deeply-hearted members to share their feelings with the group :wink: But I'm really just here to work on my act. I'm gonna put on that doc on this weekend though!
Lol! remind me of my son, he is gonna be five and he loves Peppa Pig. You old crazy granddad dog.

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #14,788 of 40,559
Holy smokes! Thats ancient. Im forty one and I cant imagine being sixty
I was forty-one once. It was a while back though. :)

Sixty is easy, seventy is something else. So far I think I liked twelve the best.

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #14,789 of 40,559
You kinda breaking my heart. I thought the U18 or Fourtes were my ENDGAME. Ur telling me the legend X is better than both of those? i need just as much as musicality and that’s punch and oomph iems give you that makes you feel the music. (why i liked the vegas over the andromedas even tho clearly i liked the separation and technicial aspects of the andros and loved the clarity)

so my question is, which one would you say is still the best fit for me. it’s hard to believe that’s the $1000 difference price range has to make a noticeable difference in which the fourtes or u18tzar are better (except the bass like u mentioned)

out of the two u18t and fourte which one would you go for? (also looking for huge soundstage is the u18’s better?)
and ou of the 3 you would still go for the x? imagine if they were all the same price

Sorry man but the word ENDGAME couldn't be found in the head-fi dictionary lolllllllllllllll

Serious...........you asking about EDM so I was talking about EDM. I dun live with the LX as my only iem, and if I'm only allowed to own one set of iem there's a fair chance I'd pick my U18 over the LX (but with a fair chance of regretting the choice later). With all that oomph the LX as a whole is somewhat a rich but kinda relaxed listen - that has to do with the treble presentation. The U18 is balanced but pretty hot up high (that is, unless you pair it with a darker sounding cable / source). I thought my 335DWSR was the closest thing to endgame (and still admires it as such) but it could fall short of any real excitement at times. Fourtes.............you should ask someone else as I have never warmed to it.

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #14,790 of 40,559
You kinda breaking my heart. I thought the U18 or Fourtes were my ENDGAME. Ur telling me the legend X is better than both of those? i need just as much as musicality and that’s punch and oomph iems give you that makes you feel the music. (why i liked the vegas over the andromedas even tho clearly i liked the separation and technicial aspects of the andros and loved the clarity)

so my question is, which one would you say is still the best fit for me. it’s hard to believe that’s the $1000 difference price range has to make a noticeable difference in which the fourtes or u18tzar are better (except the bass like u mentioned)

out of the two u18t and fourte which one would you go for? (also looking for huge soundstage is the u18’s better?)
and ou of the 3 you would still go for the x? imagine if they were all the same price

tbh i think u18 and fourte is quite overpriced. I think it should be $1000 cheaper than its current price. But thats also taking into account personal preferences and such. Its best you try all 3 and decide on your own base on your listening preferences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back