Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 6, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #14,011 of 40,566
Zeus has too much hiss on the LPG, but Phantom is ok. The is hiss, but doesn't bother me much, and I hate hiss.
Thanks! I have to wait a bit for a new DAP anyway, so I will see about meeting up with @Kerouac after the move and try his LPG.
btw , i charge my WM1A every 5 days , listening to 16/44 only so this makes it around 25 hours of battery

@Wyville if i were you i would sell ak70 and top up to get a used/like new wm1a from here for 700-800$
Not selling my AK70. I want to keep it for on the go and I expect I won't get much back for it anyway because it is far from "mint" condition. That is also why I like the Sony's and the LPG, they seem to have a more rugged build quality, which I quite prefer. But a WM1A should not be a problem once we have the move out of the way.

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #14,012 of 40,566
Do you have any more details on the ZX300 pairing? I'm planning to get one soon and am a little concerned that it might not be a good match for the Bravado.

i have been using Bravado with zx300 for 2 months now, what do you wish to know? both sonically and ergonomically i preferred it over both the dragonfly red and mojo.

Also preferred it to the AK70 mk2 tho more of a usability thing (zx300 can be used as a DAC for the iphone but not the AK70 mk2)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #14,013 of 40,566
This is because the only thing preventing a fully-flush fit is the connector pressing against your skull. Since the connector portion is elevated on the Cerberus, the rest of the faceplate and shell can sit more flush. Also, the crossover components have been moved to the elevated portion as well, so shell can be smaller (and therefore more flush) but fit all of the components inside.
Right on! I'm glad Empire Ears still offers that option. Will go with that for the next EE ciems for sure. I wasn't aware it was still doable so didn't ask for the Legend X, which I've just received today. Time to unpack the loot box!
giphy.gif

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #14,014 of 40,566
Right on! I'm glad Empire Ears still offers that option. Will go with that for the next EE ciems for sure. I wasn't aware it was still doable so didn't ask for the Legend X, which I've just received today. Time to unpack the loot box!
pictures please!

i actually prefer the normal design.

As for zx300, i think it pairs excellent with the phantoms, its basically a mini wm1a if you only use balance output. I charge it almost daily cause i clock a good 8-15 hours daily lol

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #14,015 of 40,566
pictures please!

i actually prefer the normal design.

As for zx300, i think it pairs excellent with the phantoms, its basically a mini wm1a if you only use balance output. I charge it almost daily cause i clock a good 8-15 hours daily lol

yup stick with balance and you get'd control, extension and big bouncy, meaty notes and organic flow betwixt dem notes...

and yup best stamina in its class, making the A&K blue brick cry Khannnnn

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #14,016 of 40,566
i have been using Bravado with zx300 for 2 months now, what do you wish to know? both sonically and ergonomically i preferred it over both the dragonfly red and mojo.

Also preferred it to the AK70 mk2 tho more of a usability thing (zx300 can be used as a DAC for the iphone but not the AK70 mk2)
Thanks for the info. It's just that I find the Bravado bordering on overkill in the sub-bass already and I don't really want something that will make it sound any thicker / darker.

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #14,018 of 40,566

Nice! Can you describe the difference between it and the Mojo?

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #14,019 of 40,566
Nice! Can you describe the difference between it and the Mojo?

against the zx300 BAL (using bravado, andro and sony ex1k, ex800 and z5) Mojo has a very focussed, solid sound, it lacks the delicacy/microdynamics of the zx300, there is less a sense of air/ambient information, macrodynamics and control of low end is better but it is less cohesive, less timbral differentiation and refinement. you could argue that it is more overtly exciting but for me, i prefer the more natural sounding sony

and when you factor in usability and battery power, unless you are also using the mojo for driving headphones, it is not as compelling as choice as the zx300.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #14,021 of 40,566
Who here is using the LX with the DX200? And what's your favorite amp with it? Upgraditis strikes again...

It's a great pairing. I'm listening to it right now.

DX200>AMP4>Thor II 8-Wire>Legend X

Even though I have't heard it myself, AMP3 ought to be a great alternative.

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #14,022 of 40,566
Do you have any more details on the ZX300 pairing? I'm planning to get one soon and am a little concerned that it might not be a good match for the Bravado.

I am sorry man, it wouldn’t be right of me to offer any impressions on the ZX300, as I only listened to it for an hour and it was a brand new unit. ZX300 owners say that the sound gets better on burn-in. The best I can do is a offer a brief note on how it compares to the 1A. On SE, 1A and ZX300 are not too far from each other. 1A pulls ahead of the ZX300 in 4.4mm Bal. 1A has a slightly larger stage, slightly better separation, slightly better timbre and slightly better dynamics. I would go to the extent of saying that ZX300 is one of my favorite DAPs when I see it as a whole package in terms of UI, UX, ergonomics, portability and battery.

thanx for the feedback :beerchug:

btw seeing you mention zeus i have to ask how phantom stands next to zeus - is it an upgrade/sidegrade and would getting phantom even though i own zeus be a good move or is it redundant ?

been thinking lately of selling my nt6 and maybe (i said maybe @Wyville , so hold those demons) buying phantom come next BF sales

Phantom and Zeus are quite different, but they share some similarities in the core, that would make it slightly redundant to own both. The choice between Phantom or Zeus could be determined based on one’s tolerance for brightness. If you are treble tolerant, Zeus would be the way to go, as it is still the king of imaging, resolution and transparency. If you want something smoother and warmer and a touch laidback in the mid-range, Phantom would be the way to go. Although Phantom does have that lower treble peak that can get bright with the wrong pairing or wrong music. So if you don’t find the Zeus bright with your recordings, I don’t see a reason to move to the Phantom. If you are looking for something to compliment your Zeus, Leg X may be the way to go.

Very much agreed, my friend! Although my modded WM1A adds even more note weight and body to the centre-midrange, I find it the most natural and organic pairing - the DAP that most clearly emphasises the Phantom's strengths. I've tested my AK70-Kai and although I appreciate the extra sparkle and air, it somewhat conflicts against what the Phantom was made to do/sound like, so I prefer the K-modded WM1A against most DAPs I've tried.

You know, the fact that I only need to charge my WM1A every three days or so is so convenient, as well as the UI, the instant file transfer on MacOS, the durable 4.4mm balanced plug, the... :p

Totally man. I would be lying if I said I am not considering to get one myself and get it modded at MS. I am just waiting for more impressions on the Lotoo Touch. If the final version is as bright as what Mim and Ranfan reported already, then I’d probably go with the 1A or the Cayin N8. But man these DAPs are huge.

Darn it, that is the Hugo2 and LPG probably out for me. I will try them if I find an opportunity, but I think any sort of hiss would drive me insane. Although it depends a bit on whether or not it is audible during very silent sections of classical music. (Come to think about it, I have no idea about hiss, as my AK70 simply doesn't produce any.)

Thanks for the impressions! I think the 1A might also be more to my liking. I switched out the Final tips because I struggled with the seal a little, but also because those tips can be a bit more aggressive in the treble. Also switched from SE to balanced on my AK70 which makes the treble more laid-back. While I see merit in going for SE (I notice it especially in the tone of brass instruments), I just prefer how smooth it sounds from balanced. Paired with the Ares II 8-wire it all seems to come together for classical music with a big, airy stage and exceptional tonality. Really loving the Phantom! :D

:imp: You know you want to... :imp::imp: Why try to postpone the inevitable?... :imp:Well that backfired quickly! :p

You bet. I think you should listen to Dan. He he he. It would be a backfire that would leave you with almost no regret. If I have read between the lines to understand your preferences, I would say that the 1A should serve you well. Even better if you could get it modded.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #14,023 of 40,566
You bet. I think you should listen to Dan. He he he. It would be a backfire that would leave you with almost no regret. If I have read between the lines to understand your preferences, I would say that the 1A should serve you well. Even better if you could get it modded.
:thinking: Hmmm...
Phantom :hushed:
Phantom + Ares II 8-wire :astonished:
Phantom + Ares II 8-wire + 1A :fearful:
Phantom + Ares II 8-wire + Modded 1A :scream:

[Runs off] "Hey honey, let's take a trip this weekend to... I don't know... how about the local dog shelter?"

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #14,024 of 40,566
I am sorry man, it wouldn’t be right of me to offer any impressions on the ZX300, as I only listened to it for an hour and it was a brand new unit. ZX300 owners say that the sound gets better on burn-in. The best I can do is a offer a brief note on how it compares to the 1A. On SE, 1A and ZX300 are not too far from each other. 1A pulls ahead of the ZX300 in 4.4mm Bal. 1A has a slightly larger stage, slightly better separation, slightly better timbre and slightly better dynamics. I would go to the extent of saying that ZX300 is one of my favorite DAPs when I see it as a whole package in terms of UI, UX, ergonomics, portability and battery.

Phantom and Zeus are quite different, but they share some similarities in the core, that would make it slightly redundant to own both. The choice between Phantom or Zeus could be determined based on one’s tolerance for brightness. If you are treble tolerant, Zeus would be the way to go, as it is still the king of imaging, resolution and transparency. If you want something smoother and warmer and a touch laidback in the mid-range, Phantom would be the way to go. Although Phantom does have that lower treble peak that can get bright with the wrong pairing or wrong music. So if you don’t find the Zeus bright with your recordings, I don’t see a reason to move to the Phantom. If you are looking for something to compliment your Zeus, Leg X may be the way to go.

Totally man. I would be lying if I said I am not considering to get one myself and get it modded at MS. I am just waiting for more impressions on the Lotoo Touch. If the final version is as bright as what Mim and Ranfan reported already, then I’d probably go with the 1A or the Cayin N8. But man these DAPs are huge.

Thanks for that. I've only had a very short time with the zx300 {about 10 mins} so it wasn't long enough to get much of a grasp on the sound However, it just felt sooo good in my hand I've been thinking about it ever since. It's very likely I'll get it at the end of the month.

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #14,025 of 40,566
Has anyone had experience or reviewed the Phantoms vs Ca Andromeda or Unique Melody Mentor v3 or similar?

I have experience with CA products and mainly DD iem’s for genres like EDM 90’s hip hop but not much with multi BA iems (I have quad BA UE900S but I know they’re not even in the same league)

Looking for multi BA for when I want to listen to music like Fleetwood Mac Eric Clapton Adele Amber Rubarth.

Not looking for neutral SQ but musical with detail/clarity

Comfort/fit is actually the most important but no where near me to audition so that’s out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back