Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 5, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #13,997 of 40,613
Both Zeus and Phantom have a hiss on all 3 Sony DAPs: 1A, 1Z and ZX300. But I would say the hiss is very mild. Far from what I have on Hugo 2 or LPG.

is wm1a a good pairing for phantom ?

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #13,998 of 40,613
After owning the legend x I tired so many tips

Here is my ranking best ones

1- spinfit double flange the red ones- gives best presence of mids with best bass and soundstage and details
2- spinfit double flange the black ones
3- final audio small size- mids sound bit lacking compared to the above
4- comply foam tips- ok nothing more

Worst tips I tried

1- jvc spiral dots - very bad the worst xperience
2- mandarin tips
3- regular spinfit

Tips that don’t work as they do not stay on the nozzle
1- Sony new model tips that are like foam
2- Sony hybrid tips

I just got a pair of the Spinfit double flange red and want to see if you have any tips (no pun intended) to get the best insertion. When I get them situated properly I've been impressed with the sound but I haven't found a way to get them in easily each time. Sometimes if one is too deep I don't hear anything out of that side and need to adjust. Just curious if there's any trick to getting these in properly. I don't usually use double flange and the Final Audio tips are quick and easy to insert and get a good seal but I want to give these a fair shot at competing.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #13,999 of 40,613
is wm1a a good pairing for phantom ?

So I used this as an excuse to stop by BestBuy to try the WM1A with my Phantom. But this time, I was better equipped with @San Man's 4.4mm Bal Ares II cable, and his 4.4 to 3.5 adapter. So I was able to compare the SE and Bal. First thing I tested was the hiss, and there is definitely a hiss that is very very mild. In my standards, its almost negligible. I think the hiss may be a fraction lower than the hiss I got on Zeus+1Z.

Moving on to the sound, please take my impressions with caution, as I wasn't familiar with any of the tracks on the 1A Demo unit... Of all the DAP's I have tried the Phantom with so far; LPG, R6, ZX300, WM1A, I think the 1A is my favourite of the lot. Sure LPG and Hugo2 sound more detailed and engaging. But for me personally, those 2 devices make the Phantom more bright, as they don't help smooth out the lower treble peak. 1A may not be as detailed as those 2 DAPs, but with its airy stage and a pleasant signature, I felt it paired excellently with the Phantom.

IMG_0386.JPG

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #14,000 of 40,613
So I used this as an excuse to stop by BestBuy to try the WM1A with my Phantom. But this time, I was better equipped with @San Man's 4.4mm Bal Ares II cable, and his 4.4 to 3.5 adapter. So I was able to compare the SE and Bal. First thing I tested was the hiss, and there is definitely a hiss that is very very mild. In my standards, its almost negligible. I think the hiss may be a fraction lower than the hiss I got on Zeus+1Z.

Moving on to the sound, please take my impressions with caution, as I wasn't familiar with any of the tracks on the 1A Demo unit... Of all the DAP's I have tried the Phantom with so far; LPG, R6, ZX300, WM1A, I think the 1A is my favourite of the lot. Sure LPG and Hugo2 sound more detailed and engaging. But for me personally, those 2 devices make the Phantom more bright, as they don't help smooth out the lower treble peak. 1A may not be as detailed as those 2 DAPs, but with its airy stage and a pleasant signature, I felt it paired excellently with the Phantom.

It's SOS® (Sony Organic Schiit) at work and it's a beautiful thing.

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #14,001 of 40,613
Who here is using the LX with the DX200? And what's your favorite amp with it? Upgraditis strikes again...

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #14,002 of 40,613
Who here is using the LX with the DX200? And what's your favorite amp with it? Upgraditis strikes again...

I am using LX with the DX200. AMP4 is my fave but I know it's not available anymore. They will be releasing AMP8 soon which is also 4.4mm. I'd put AMP3 in 2nd, still a great amp with more energy and less spaciousness compared to AMP4. Depends what you're looking for. Do you use SE or balanced (2.5 or 4.4)?

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #14,003 of 40,613
I am using LX with the DX200. AMP4 is my fave but I know it's not available anymore. They will be releasing AMP8 soon which is also 4.4mm. I'd put AMP3 in 2nd, still a great amp with more energy and less spaciousness compared to AMP4. Depends what you're looking for. Do you use SE or balanced (2.5 or 4.4)?

To my ears amp4s (4.4) sounds more musical with big soundstage than amp3 (2.5).

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #14,004 of 40,613
Both Zeus and Phantom have a hiss on all 3 Sony DAPs: 1A, 1Z and ZX300. But I would say the hiss is very mild. Far from what I have on Hugo 2 or LPG.
Darn it, that is the Hugo2 and LPG probably out for me. I will try them if I find an opportunity, but I think any sort of hiss would drive me insane. Although it depends a bit on whether or not it is audible during very silent sections of classical music. (Come to think about it, I have no idea about hiss, as my AK70 simply doesn't produce any.)

Thanks for the impressions! I think the 1A might also be more to my liking. I switched out the Final tips because I struggled with the seal a little, but also because those tips can be a bit more aggressive in the treble. Also switched from SE to balanced on my AK70 which makes the treble more laid-back. While I see merit in going for SE (I notice it especially in the tone of brass instruments), I just prefer how smooth it sounds from balanced. Paired with the Ares II 8-wire it all seems to come together for classical music with a big, airy stage and exceptional tonality. Really loving the Phantom! :D

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #14,005 of 40,613

Do you have any more details on the ZX300 pairing? I'm planning to get one soon and am a little concerned that it might not be a good match for the Bravado.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #14,006 of 40,613

thanx for the feedback :beerchug:

btw seeing you mention zeus i have to ask how phantom stands next to zeus - is it an upgrade/sidegrade and would getting phantom even though i own zeus be a good move or is it redundant ?

been thinking lately of selling my nt6 and maybe (i said maybe @Wyville , so hold those demons) buying phantom come next BF sales

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #14,007 of 40,613
Here you go, my right ear with the same connector that aaf evo has (in black) :-

and another from a different company, though regulars should be able to work out who they are from, just didn't want to get into trouble by mentioning a competitor on the ee thread! Here you go :-

So you can see the differences I hope. Despite the looks the seal is pretty much the same.

This is because the only thing preventing a fully-flush fit is the connector pressing against your skull. Since the connector portion is elevated on the Cerberus, the rest of the faceplate and shell can sit more flush. Also, the crossover components have been moved to the elevated portion as well, so shell can be smaller (and therefore more flush) but fit all of the components inside.

Very much agreed, my friend! Although my modded WM1A adds even more note weight and body to the centre-midrange, I find it the most natural and organic pairing - the DAP that most clearly emphasises the Phantom's strengths. I've tested my AK70-Kai and although I appreciate the extra sparkle and air, it somewhat conflicts against what the Phantom was made to do/sound like, so I prefer the K-modded WM1A against most DAPs I've tried.

Darn it, that is the Hugo2 and LPG probably out for me. I will try them if I find an opportunity, but I think any sort of hiss would drive me insane. Although it depends a bit on whether or not it is audible during very silent sections of classical music. (Come to think about it, I have no idea about hiss, as my AK70 simply doesn't produce any.)

Thanks for the impressions! I think the 1A might also be more to my liking. I switched out the Final tips because I struggled with the seal a little, but also because those tips can be a bit more aggressive in the treble. Also switched from SE to balanced on my AK70 which makes the treble more laid-back. While I see merit in going for SE (I notice it especially in the tone of brass instruments), I just prefer how smooth it sounds from balanced. Paired with the Ares II 8-wire it all seems to come together for classical music with a big, airy stage and exceptional tonality. Really loving the Phantom! :D

You know, the fact that I only need to charge my WM1A every three days or so is so convenient, as well as the UI, the instant file transfer on MacOS, the durable 4.4mm balanced plug, the... :p

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #14,008 of 40,613
been thinking lately of selling my nt6 and maybe (i said maybe @Wyville , so hold those demons) buying phantom come next BF sales
:imp: You know you want to... :imp:
:imp: Why try to postpone the inevitable?... :imp:
:imp: You know, the fact that I only need to charge my WM1A every three days or so is so convenient :imp:
:imp: as well as the UI :imp:
:imp: the instant file transfer on MacOS :imp:
:imp: the durable 4.4mm balanced plug, the... :imp:
Well that backfired quickly! :p

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #14,009 of 40,613

Zeus has too much hiss on the LPG, but Phantom is ok. The is hiss, but doesn't bother me much, and I hate hiss.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #14,010 of 40,613
:imp: You know you want to... :imp:
:imp: Why try to postpone the inevitable?... :imp:
Well that backfired quickly! :p

btw , i charge my WM1A every 5 days , listening to 16/44 only so this makes it around 25 hours of battery

@Wyville if i were you i would sell ak70 and top up to get a used/like new wm1a from here for 700-800$

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back