Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 21, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #12,991 of 40,582
Sometimes I think the difference between 3.5 and 2.5 balances isn’t that huge when you’re doing 320 ogg from Spotify or 256 aac from Apple
This is just about me selfishly wanting to use my Ibasso AMP4S for the first time finally!!! No spotty apples here

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #12,992 of 40,582
I had EE ship my Bravado sans cable and I used the two pin 3.5mm from my Spartan. I will get the 2.5mm cable shipped when they are back in stock.

I think you made the right choice :)

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #12,993 of 40,582
This afternoon my companion for running errands was Cayin N5ii>Thor II>Spartan.

Such an awesome, lightweight system, that feels utterly uncompromising.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #12,995 of 40,582
This afternoon my companion for running errands was Cayin N5ii>Thor II>Spartan.

Such an awesome, lightweight system, that feels utterly uncompromising.
Sounds like something I need in my life right now

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #12,998 of 40,582
How is the SQ of Thor II>Spartan compared to Ares II>Spartan? Thanks.

Smoother. Cleaner. More liquid. Treble seems to extend a little better without being emphasized in any way.

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #13,002 of 40,582
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #13,003 of 40,582
The difference between balanced and unbalanced - to me - lies in the manufacturer’s specific implementation of the circuit. For example, the differences between BAL and SE on my AK70 isn’t as large as the difference between the two on my modded WM1A, which - in turn - isn’t as large as the difference on my Onkyo DP-X1. Sometimes, I prefer SE over BAL signature-wise, so it’s not always better either.

In order to do a true balanced circuit, you need to basically double all the components. Dual differential if you would. This is what Ayre does so well adn why I will only use their products in balanced mode. The Pono was designed similarly as it's an Ayre design and build. That's why it's so great at it's price range. I honestly haven't heard anything that's close for under 700 at least.

sorry , not gonna give any hits to those people - especially after their stance on the phantom / @flinkenick thing

as far as i am concerned they are dead webspace to me

btw , curious if EE corrected its enormous mistake with how they treated Nick , did not see any new updates on the matter

cheers

They are dead to me also. We won't be hearing about how things work themselves out. To me, it never should have gone public the way it did. I"m sure that Nic and Jack will always be good friends as a true friendship will never let business get in the way :wink:...

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #13,005 of 40,582
With you, @ctsooner22!
Using my Phantoms at the moment with balanced Pono (have a nice adapter for the 2.5 mm balanced), sounding really nice. Just finished close to 200 hours burn in. Had tried it with the Pioneer xdp-300r, didn't like it, was thinking I made an error. Still feel like maybe a bit more "oomph", clarity may be beneficial, but Pono is really a good player (you can find them for $200-250 these days). I need a high end portable. Stuck in 1 place because I went in for the LH Labs Wave, TOTL version, 3 years ago about, seems to be some life there again, hope I'll get one not too long. Hard to justify spending another fortune on another portable when I'm hoping (and spend money) on these...
Going to take Pono/Phantom out on dog walk in a few (customs seem to transmit footfalls less than universals-I read somewhere why that was but forget. I can't go for a walk with my universals, use an on ear instead).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back