Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 20, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #12,977 of 40,577
If you have a Phantom try it with Van Morrison's Astral Weeks album. You can thank me later.
. Thanks so much. :). Go with customs. Wife loving he Bravado's. I do too lol. Fun.

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #12,979 of 40,577
I know this is kind of out the blue, guys; but I have a question: I just sold my zeus xr adel universals to buy the legend x. Now, I have a Fiio x7 mark II with the am3a module. EE doesn't have anymore ares 2 cables that are balanced 2.5 terminated. Should I wait the five weeks to get it--that's when they say the cables will be available? Or should I get the 3.5 and perhaps buy an adapter? The only problem is I will be without my IEMS, and I don't have any others. So what should I do? I did hear the difference between balanced vs unbalanced with the Zeus' on my X7. And that difference was noticeable. Will an adapter from 3.5 to 2.5 destroy the quality?

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #12,980 of 40,577
I know this is kind of out the blue, guys; but I have a question: I just sold my zeus xr adel universals to buy the legend x. Now, I have a Fiio x7 mark II with the am3a module. EE doesn't have anymore ares 2 cables that are balanced 2.5 terminated. Should I wait the five weeks to get it--that's when they say the cables will be available? Or should I get the 3.5 and perhaps buy an adapter? The only problem is I will be without my IEMS, and I don't have any others. So what should I do? I did hear the difference between balanced vs unbalanced with the Zeus' on my X7. And that difference was noticeable. Will an adapter from 3.5 to 2.5 destroy the quality?

You can’t convert 3.5mm single-ended to 2.5mm balanced. Single-ended signals share a single ground, while a balanced signal has two separate grounds for the left and right poles. You can convert balanced to single-ended by connecting the two grounds together, but you can’t convert single-ended to balanced because you can’t “split” the SE’s unified ground.

If you can’t hear a difference, then I’d recommend just going for the single-ended 3.5mm and using the unbalanced output on your DAP. You can always have a third party or Effect Audio themselves reterminate it to a balanced plug in the future.

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #12,981 of 40,577
hey guys, finally got the chance to audition the phantom and the legend x, and boy do I love them! phantom didn't really do it as much for me as i listen to mostly synthetic productions like edm, hip hop and pop, but the legend x is everything I could've asked for. I'm gonna order one in a couple weeks!

just debating, since the universal fit was perfectly fine on me, should I still get it custom? if I do, I am looking at the more premium designs, so it'll be around 200-300cdn extra with impressions and all.
I know it may not be much extra to many on this thread, but it'll be my first big purchase. any opinions would be great, and if there's any other “basshead iem” that I should consider, please lemme know thanks!

If the universal fits perfectly well and sounds good for you, why not stick with that. The universal looks classy and it saves you money. You're in for a treat either way with the X, it's superb :)

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #12,982 of 40,577
What’s the consensus on final audio, acoustune and spinfit tips?

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #12,983 of 40,577
If the universal fits perfectly well and sounds good for you, why not stick with that. The universal looks classy and it saves you money. You're in for a treat either way with the X, it's superb :)

True!... as i love the fit of my universal Legends. Very comfortable and a great seal.... and yes as you said they look classy. And last but not least reselling will remain an option :)

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #12,985 of 40,577

I’d ask for them to ship the legend x now with the basic pro quad cable, black or titanium silver colored. They are your classic thin spc single ended cables available in the accessories section for ‘cheap’ (pay if you have to) and when the 2.5mm Balanced Ares 2 is back in stock get it mailed to you.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #12,986 of 40,577
hey guys, finally got the chance to audition the phantom and the legend x, and boy do I love them! phantom didn't really do it as much for me as i listen to mostly synthetic productions like edm, hip hop and pop, but the legend x is everything I could've asked for. I'm gonna order one in a couple weeks!

just debating, since the universal fit was perfectly fine on me, should I still get it custom? if I do, I am looking at the more premium designs, so it'll be around 200-300cdn extra with impressions and all.
I know it may not be much extra to many on this thread, but it'll be my first big purchase. any opinions would be great, and if there's any other “basshead iem” that I should consider, please lemme know thanks!
Nice! I couldn't make it over today but Charles was quick to point out his musical preferences had him gushing over the LX. He curiously only brought in 3.5mm terminations tho:frowning2: Bravado, Phantom and LX. No in-between'ers either. But hey-ho finally get to hear these two!!!

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #12,987 of 40,577
Sometimes I think the difference between 3.5 and 2.5 balances isn’t that huge when you’re doing 320 ogg from Spotify or 256 aac from Apple

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #12,988 of 40,577
Sometimes I think the difference between 3.5 and 2.5 balances isn’t that huge when you’re doing 320 ogg from Spotify or 256 aac from Apple

The difference between balanced and unbalanced - to me - lies in the manufacturer’s specific implementation of the circuit. For example, the differences between BAL and SE on my AK70 isn’t as large as the difference between the two on my modded WM1A, which - in turn - isn’t as large as the difference on my Onkyo DP-X1. Sometimes, I prefer SE over BAL signature-wise, so it’s not always better either.

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #12,989 of 40,577
Decided the jump the gun and got a pair of phantoms. The bass and vocal edge over the kaiser encore finally got to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back