Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 15, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #12,766 of 40,613
Oh my. Hopefully they can help get that fixed. That is not good.

I am trying hard to still enjoy my vacations...
Thinking it’s a nightmare and I’ll wake up. In shock...

I stretched myself a bit financially to get them (French custom tax didn’t help) and the Phantom is my dream signature just the best IEM ever for me and by far!

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #12,767 of 40,613
@davidmolliere EE will take care of you , worry not & enjoy your vacations - maybe this is universe's way of telling you to pay more attention to your beloved one ? :L3000:

i see people saying about tips and sources , how this tip finally makes my Legnd/Phantom sound good or this source does not do justice etc

I i must say that Zeus XR sounds great out of WM1A (I am sure it scales great with even better sources) plus custom means no tips hassle

Great job EE

PS : @ctsooner22 , have a speedy recovery man , your strong spirits are an inspiration to us all

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #12,768 of 40,613
@davidmolliere EE will take care of you , worry not & enjoy your vacations - maybe this is universe's way of telling you to pay more attention to your beloved one ?

Good point :wink:

and thanks for cheering me up, just as broken as those shells :-/

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #12,769 of 40,613
Good point :wink:

and thanks for cheering me up, just as broken as those shells :-/

I know how you feel, man. This is why I’m always so paranoid about putting my shells in a snug-fitting case. I always put them in either faceplate down, or faceplate facing up as horizontally level as possible, so pressure (if there is any) gets applied throughout a larger area. Regardless, I hope the repairs don’t end up being too costly, and I hope you can go back to enjoying your music very soon. :)

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #12,770 of 40,613
I know how you feel, man. This is why I’m always so paranoid about putting my shells in a snug-fitting case. I always put them in either faceplate down, or faceplate facing up as horizontally level as possible, so pressure (if there is any) gets applied throughout a larger area. Regardless, I hope the repairs don’t end up being too costly, and I hope you can go back to enjoying your music very soon. :)

The thing is I AM paranoid already and I did put them faceplate laying down flat just like always... I don’t get it :frowning2:

The case is snug but there is a soft padding on the empire case and there is no pressure mark I am downright puzzled... should have taken the bigger case as usually do but I thought that I’d use the case made for it...

After all this, rush order, customs fee... bad luck :frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #12,771 of 40,613
The thing is I AM paranoid already and I did put them faceplate laying down flat just like always... I don’t get it :frowning2:

The case is snug but there is a soft padding on the empire case and there is no pressure mark I am downright puzzled... should have taken the bigger case as usually do but I thought that I’d use the case made for it...

Sorry to hear that, it's like a nightmare come true! Hope it gets sorted out for you quickly so you can get back to enjoying them. Have a great trip in the meantime.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #12,772 of 40,613

Sorry to hear about that mate. Those shells look much thinner than I expected. I haven't had any hands-on with an EE custom (still no word on my Bravado) but I thought their universals felt quite robust.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #12,773 of 40,613
Thanks for the well wishes all. Out of surgery and resting in hospital. Not sure how long but could be a few days to two weeks. We will see. I forgot to give my wife the Phantoms and AK380cu. Darn.

Jazz, hit me up with ur digits when u can. This is such an awesome thread. Thanks

Tim, thanks for the advice to figure out how to use the signature to show my gear. I just needed to press the save button. Really appreciate that.

Hope the op went well and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #12,774 of 40,613

So sorry to hear about this! On the plus side, EE service has a strong reputation and I've no doubt they'll sort you out.
Is it possible the shell could simply have been defective? As you say, with all the care you took, perhaps you just got the 1 in 1000 that happened to have a quality issue?
This can (and does) happen to any manufacturer, no matter how much care and attention they put in, so there's no blame being cast here.

By the way, where are you on holiday?
If you're in London, I'd be happy to see if I can find a pair of IEM's to lend you!
If elsewhere, perhaps another local Head-Fi person could help out? :)

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #12,775 of 40,613
I am trying hard to still enjoy my vacations...
Thinking it’s a nightmare and I’ll wake up. In shock...

I stretched myself a bit financially to get them (French custom tax didn’t help) and the Phantom is my dream signature just the best IEM ever for me and by far!

Sorry to hear that about your EE custom. This is weird all 3 of my EE custom are build like a tank. The shells are one of the thickest and looks way more solid then my a12.

I seriously do not think the way you keep it in a case will cause the shell to fracture like this. I for one have a very terrible habit of squeezing my iem into a box in the most ungentle way I know...

I’m sure @Jack Vang will sort you out though!

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #12,776 of 40,613
I have a tri-copper coming in the next few weeks terminated with a 4.4....but I'm having a really hard time finding an AMP 4, I hope they start making them again. I love that AMP 4 though I gots to have one!

I’m pairing the latest amp4s with Zeus and it’s the best pairing I have heard inawhile. I have posted how the amp4s sounded with the Zeus in the DX200 thread.

You guys who are vocal centric should seriously give Zeus a try. It is simply amazing. If Phantom and legend X seems to be too bassy for you all, please give Zeus a try. Don’t skip out on this awesome beauty!

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #12,777 of 40,613
Sorry to hear that about your EE custom. This is weird all 3 of my EE custom are build like a tank. The shells are one of the thickest and looks way more solid then my a12.

I seriously do not think the way you keep it in a case will cause the shell to fracture like this. I for one have a very terrible habit of squeezing my iem into a box in the most ungentle way I know...

I’m sure @Jack Vang will sort you out though!
I have to disagree, my Spartans underwent the same treatment as David's and cracked in a similar fashion... I just didn't wanna post pics.
I cannot comment on other companies other than aaw, but I felt that aaw's shells are thicker

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #12,778 of 40,613
I have to disagree, my Spartans underwent the same treatment as David's and cracked in a similar fashion... I just didn't wanna post pics.
I cannot comment on other companies other than aaw, but I felt that aaw's shells are thicker

Not sure. My Zeus is 2 year olds. So I cannot comment if EE have changed their way in making the shells. But my Zeus which is used daily is still robust as it is. My a12 have a slight little notch crack at the tiniest part of the nozzle.

But for the most part all my iems are surviving their 4th year with me thank god ...

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #12,779 of 40,613
I’m pairing the latest amp4s with Zeus and it’s the best pairing I have heard inawhile. I have posted how the amp4s sounded with the Zeus in the DX200 thread.

You guys who are vocal centric should seriously give Zeus a try. It is simply amazing. If Phantom and legend X seems to be too bassy for you all, please give Zeus a try. Don’t skip out on this awesome beauty!

Have you heard the original AMP4 as well? Curious to hear about the differences.
But yeah, this AMP4s sounds very appealing :)

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #12,780 of 40,613
you guys , this is ciem shells we are talking about , not kevlar vests

maybe the pressure from the case was too much , maybe the shells were faulty

in any case , i am sure that EE will take care of it -it's just a bummer and an extra hassle

hey @davidmolliere how much was the custom hit ? just curious how french customs fare next to the greek ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back