Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 15, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #12,781 of 40,609
Have you heard the original AMP4 as well? Curious to hear about the differences.
But yeah, this AMP4s sounds very appealing :)

Nope. Didn’t get to try the amp4 before. Won’t mind getting one from any of y’all if you all have it HAHA!

As compared to amp5, amp4s is less aggressive for Zeus. In fact both phantom and legend was overly aggressive to me when I was using the ares 2 cable and amp5 during my demo. I had to tone them down with a dhc cable lol.

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #12,782 of 40,609
96A52A2B-3A2F-4051-9FC8-655F058421B8.jpeg Still looking pretty good after 2 years plus eh hahahah

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #12,783 of 40,609
Nope. Didn’t get to try the amp4 before. Won’t mind getting one from any of y’all if you all have it HAHA!

As compared to amp5, amp4s is less aggressive for Zeus. In fact both phantom and legend was overly aggressive to me when I was using the ares 2 cable and amp5 during my demo. I had to tone them down with a dhc cable lol.

I've been wondering what the LegendX (and Bravado) might sound like with a silver cable like the Effect Audio Thor (or any of its variants)?
Anyone tried something like that?

I read a review of that cable (I think by our very own @PinkyPowers lol) over on The Headphone List which made me drool like a teething toddler :D

Apr 15, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #12,784 of 40,609
I've been wondering what the LegendX (and Bravado) might sound like with a silver cable like the Effect Audio Thor (or any of its variants)?
Anyone tried something like that?

I read a review of that cable (I think by our very own @PinkyPowers lol) over on The Headphone List which made me drool like a teething toddler :D
I can audition for u next week when I visit euphoria audio

Apr 15, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #12,785 of 40,609
I am totally crushed this morning... my right side custom Phantom simply broke... Not a nice way to start vacations with my beloved (no music for a week only took them), I can’t believe this happened... it had to be the best fitting ear too (I was wondering a bit about the left and thought about reshell warranty, fiddly seal)

IMG_0001.JPG

Crushed shell just closing the provided Empire carry case, I positioned each side carefully as usual and I didn’t even apply any force or anything I juste heard a heart breaking crack when closing... it’s even stranger that there is no significant pressure mark on the padding material?!? I should have used my other Pelican case :-/

I am OCD with gear nothing ever happened to me :frowning2:

I am a newbie to custom but the shell is quite thin and I thought there was some kind of filling material, isn’t there or am I confused with VE8?with gear I am still in total shock with this... has this ever happened ?

@Ethan Groover Can you guys help me ?

sorry for your loss, however temporary, but also, thank you for the psa, as all my iems are either metal or filled acrylic, this is something that wouldnt have entered my mind. hope there is resolution soon!

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #12,786 of 40,609
I always thought the case was also a bit snug (and my ciems look much less wide than yours) so I never used it, luckily I had another I use for all my gear. 1 big case. Hope everything works out.

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #12,788 of 40,609
So sorry to hear about this! On the plus side, EE service has a strong reputation and I've no doubt they'll sort you out.
Is it possible the shell could simply have been defective? As you say, with all the care you took, perhaps you just got the 1 in 1000 that happened to have a quality issue?
This can (and does) happen to any manufacturer, no matter how much care and attention they put in, so there's no blame being cast here.

By the way, where are you on holiday?
If you're in London, I'd be happy to see if I can find a pair of IEM's to lend you!
If elsewhere, perhaps another local Head-Fi person could help out? :)

Hey thanks for the offer, “unfortunately” I am in Spain in Mallorca or Majorque if you will

As for no IEM I’ll survive of course but one week no music is unheard of for me! No doubt I’lol enjoy finding the i4 and VE8 when I am back :p

Not sure. My Zeus is 2 year olds. So I cannot comment if EE have changed their way in making the shells. But my Zeus which is used daily is still robust as it is. My a12 have a slight little notch crack at the tiniest part of the nozzle.

But for the most part all my iems are surviving their 4th year with me thank god ...

Well I am puzzled as well...

hey @davidmolliere how much was the custom hit ? just curious how french customs fare next to the greek ones

Around 400 euros...

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #12,789 of 40,609
sorry for your loss, however temporary, but also, thank you for the psa, as all my iems are either metal or filled acrylic, this is something that wouldnt have entered my mind. hope there is resolution soon!

I did notice the Phantom to be significantly lighter than the VE8 and I thought the ARC thing meant there was some kind of filling on the Phantom too. Anyway thanks for the cheering... I am so down right now :frowning2:

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #12,790 of 40,609
I did notice the Phantom to be significantly lighter than the VE8 and I thought the ARC thing meant there was some kind of filling on the Phantom too. Anyway thanks for the cheering... I am so down right now :frowning2:

Please let the warm Mallorcan sun dry your tears away and think of me languishing in cloudy London :p
Don't worry, this will surely be swiftly fixed. Who knows, they might throw you an extra freebie by way of compensation :D

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #12,791 of 40,609

The ARC is supposed to be a powder-y coat of some kind if it borrows from EarWerkz's previous tech. The VE8 is half-filled, while all other VE IEMs are fully-filled AFAIK.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #12,792 of 40,609
Please let the warm Mallorcan sun dry your tears away and think of me languishing in cloudy London :p
Don't worry, this will surely be swiftly fixed. Who knows, they might throw you an extra freebie by way of compensation :D

You’re right I have to stop brooding, tough though as I loved the phantom so much... I just want them back and it’s going to be a while now... I’ll sure handle my CIEM like they’re glass made from now on... the irony is that I chose not to pick the simple Pelican I used last weekend to pick the Empire Pelican box for extra safety this time. No way they could have been crushed but they do move a little in that case...

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #12,793 of 40,609
I have to disagree, my Spartans underwent the same treatment as David's and cracked in a similar fashion... I just didn't wanna post pics.
I cannot comment on other companies other than aaw, but I felt that aaw's shells are thicker

I had a shell breakage with a pair of Unique Melody CIEMs, a few years ago. To be fair to UM, I must say that a work colleague sat on my jacket, and they were in the jacket pocket (I did honestly admit this to UM). That is excessive force.

However, as it turned out, the shells actually were much thinner than they should've been (and it was admitted to me, by their agent, that several of their customers had experienced the same issue, during that time period). This time period of manufacture was during their 'Global Promotion', approximately 5 yrs ago.

I strongly suspect that they had one or more technicians on the team who may have been rushing their workload by not exposing the liquid acrylic to UV light for enough seconds per batch (the UV hardens the liquid acrylic from the outside of the shell, inwards). It may even have been a newer member of the team, recently employed in order to help the company keep up with sudden demand (the Global Promotion marked UM's first major push into the international market).

Also see this UE vid: youtu.be/UPpHBFsvmlg?t=4m22s

I can't comment upon the reason for any incidences of EE shells perhaps not being as thick as one might prefer, but there appear to be interesting parallels, in terms of rapid expansion of the company.

In any case, UM were as good as gold and dealt with the re-shell efficiently and without charge.

I'm sure EE will handle any such re-shells with equal grace.

For anyone not familiar with the UV method of CIEM manufacture, explanatory videos can be found within this post:

www.head-fi.org/threads/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit.578855/#post-7871678

...and I should add that another factor that influence thickness of shells is that different colour acrylics can take different times to cure, due to varying levels of translucency. Therefore, a cure time that works perfectly for one colour may be insufficient for a darker or more opaque colour:

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #12,794 of 40,609
I had a shell breakage with a pair of Unique Melody CIEMs, a few years ago. To be fair to UM, I must say that a work colleague sat on my jacket, and they were in the jacket pocket (I did honestly admit this to UM). That is excessive force.

However, as it turned out, the shells actually were much thinner than they should've been (and it was admitted to me, by their agent, that several of their customers had experienced the same issue, during that time period). This time period of manufacture was during the Global Promotion they had at the time.

I strongly suspect that they had one or more technicians on the team who may have been rushing their workload by not exposing the liquid acrylic to UV light for enough seconds per batch. It may even have been a newer member of the team, recently employed in order to help the company keep up with sudden demand (the Global Promotion marked UM's first major push into the international market).

I can't comment upon the reason for any incidences of EE shells perhaps not being as thick as one might prefer, but there appear to be interesting parallels, in terms of rapid expansion of the company.

In any case, UM were as good as gold and dealt with the re-shell efficiently and without charge.

I'm sure EE will handle any such re-shells with equal grace.

For anyone not familiar with the UV method of CIEM manufacture, explanatory videos can be found within this post:

www.head-fi.org/threads/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit.578855/#post-7871678
I paid full price for a reshell as it was deemed not covered by warranty (expired recently) and also cos I wanted a new colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

• JayF
Back