Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 23, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #9,257 of 40,675
At the shop there is only Adel version of Zeus-XR on demo. I have read that the Zeus-XR without Adel should give slightly more bass, and nick's shoutout choose non-adel version makes me think about the non-Adel over the Adel version of Zeus XR. But I will not have access to a demo by the end of the sale...

Although sound isolation is important to me, I have not heard the non-adel Zeus in person, not really sure which one to choose.
@Deezel177 has been doing a pretty good job at quoting himself, but just to confirm ADEL increases the airiness of the stage, opens its dimensions a bit further. But the presentation lacks focus and dynamics in comparison to non-ADEL. The resolution is a bit lower, and the imaging is more diffused. Besides, the bass loses in quantity and extension. If your primary preference is a spacious and airy stage or suffer from tinnitus, ADEL might be the better option. Personally I prefer it without, paired to a copper cable.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #9,258 of 40,675
Really hope if someone has experience with Adel O1 Zeus XR vs non-Adel ZeusXR. In that case I might be able to get the best of both worlds. Swap in MAM or O1 anytime I wish. I loved airy stage of an Open backs headphone, I always draw myself in comparing the IEM against my beloved HE1000. But I would also love to have good sound isolation in specific situations. I guess I might put my finger crossed with the Adel O1

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #9,259 of 40,675
Really hope if someone has experience with Adel O1 Zeus XR vs non-Adel ZeusXR. In that case I might be able to get the best of both worlds. Swap in MAM or O1 anytime I wish. I loved airy stage of an Open backs headphone, I always draw myself in comparing the IEM against my beloved HE1000. But I would also love to have good sound isolation in specific situations. I guess I might put my finger crossed with the Adel O1

I'd direct you towards @tkteo. He should be able to help you.

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #9,260 of 40,675

personally, I would just go for the non-ADEL Zeus XR. In my case I did purchase a XR with ADEL. After using the G1 and MAM modules, I felt that any similarity to an open back headphone was minimal, and with the G1 or MAM in semi-open to open position, I lose the vocal imaging that first attracted me to the Zeus XV tuning in the first place.

my Zeus XR is now permanently on the orange and the G1 is inserted into my 64 A8. I don't even bother with the MAM anymore.

(yes I know my profile still states Zeus XR G1 cos that's what I purchased initially)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #9,261 of 40,675
Nov 23, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #9,263 of 40,675
I have tinnitus and gladly switched to non Adel, from Adel version. I felt the Adel brought out the "perceived" negative traits of the Zeus. The result is a more focused signature with plenty of transparency and resolution and more than enough brightness. While I really preferred Adel/Apex on 64 Audio U12 I didn't really care for it with Zeus.

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #9,264 of 40,675

Earlier in the year we followed @NaiveSound and his pursuit of IEM perfection. We saw him get the XR (probably the first one made for a customer IIRC), then upgrade to XRA which he disliked, the community helping him out with modules and suggestions, and finally changing back to XR. He found peace at last. Pure drama. Anyway he tried O1 module with XRA and said it didn't sound like his beloved XR non-ADEL. He sums it up here.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...rmerly-earwerkz.786335/page-433#post-13284358

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #9,265 of 40,675
Honestly, I went straight to the source and that was Jack himself who said carrot module is not the same, when I was in the same boat and not real happy with the Adel version. I actually held off on my review of the XRA because I knew there just had to be something better that I was missing. So I reviewed the XR and it's fantastic, IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #9,266 of 40,675
Earlier in the year we followed @NaiveSound and his pursuit of IEM perfection. We saw him get the XR (probably the first one made for a customer IIRC), then upgrade to XRA which he disliked, the community helping him out with modules and suggestions, and finally changing back to XR. He found peace at last. Pure drama. Anyway he tried O1 module with XRA and said it didn't sound like his beloved XR non-ADEL. He sums it up here.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...rmerly-earwerkz.786335/page-433#post-13284358

Yeah a Rollercoaster of waste of time!

Because all the time I was funking around, I didn't enjoy my iems, because I didn't have them, I was just so curious about adel, and just as dissapointed.

Ussualy I enjoy audio hunting selling/borrowing/buying/trading..... But wow, not with XR.

Is the type of thing you just keep, it made me so happy, I sold all headphones and iems

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #9,268 of 40,675
I've been listening to a lot of my Spartans lately. Since my review, I haven't put them in much, but this week I've sort of been rediscovering them. Damn, they really are phenomenal. Such deep, rich lows, airy, well-extended highs, and vocals of amazing clarity and naturalness. They are sort of perfection.

N5II & Spartan 01.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #9,269 of 40,675
I'm blown away. Yes great info. I'll be getting mine without the Adel. That's my taste. I also now am using my new/used AK380cu and amp. WOW....as I posted on a ak thread, I think the 380cu is kind of close to my reference Ayre QX5 dAC/server. That's a true reference piece and you need to spend well over 20k IMHO to get a better DAC/balanced amp. Even my friend's daVinci DAC's need an amp. I like mine better than the top Woo amp, which is awesome. Been using the ZMF heavily modded Ori's that I like better than the LCD4's which are also a true ref can. I can't wait to get my impressions to EE to get my ref CIEM's. I'll need to get a Pono balanced cable if I want to run them balanced through the Ayre and also a 2.4mm balanced one for the AK380cu and amp (I'll pay for this cable before the Pono one as I use it on the go, lol).

I have already shared about the Spartan's with many of my 2 channel friends as I think they'd love them for their tonal balance and nice extension.

I strongly recommend those who haven't read Nic's shootout to do so. The beginning of it is a must to as you can figure out Nic's 'flavor or tastes' and then bounce them off of yours. He is as good as any reviewer I know in setting up his tastes and HOW he listens. It's made me change how I share with others in the 2 channel world. Then you can really get a feel for what he's saying when he posts about differences he hears. I promise you that you will fully appreciate the posts here even more. I know most are familiar with his shootout by now and do this even if you don't realize you do.

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #9,270 of 40,675
I'm blown away. Yes great info. I'll be getting mine without the Adel. That's my taste. I also now am using my new/used AK380cu and amp. WOW....as I posted on a ak thread, I think the 380cu is kind of close to my reference Ayre QX5 dAC/server. That's a true reference piece and you need to spend well over 20k IMHO to get a better DAC/balanced amp. Even my friend's daVinci DAC's need an amp. I like mine better than the top Woo amp, which is awesome. Been using the ZMF heavily modded Ori's that I like better than the LCD4's which are also a true ref can. I can't wait to get my impressions to EE to get my ref CIEM's. I'll need to get a Pono balanced cable if I want to run them balanced through the Ayre and also a 2.4mm balanced one for the AK380cu and amp (I'll pay for this cable before the Pono one as I use it on the go, lol).

I have already shared about the Spartan's with many of my 2 channel friends as I think they'd love them for their tonal balance and nice extension.

I strongly recommend those who haven't read Nic's shootout to do so. The beginning of it is a must to as you can figure out Nic's 'flavor or tastes' and then bounce them off of yours. He is as good as any reviewer I know in setting up his tastes and HOW he listens. It's made me change how I share with others in the 2 channel world. Then you can really get a feel for what he's saying when he posts about differences he hears. I promise you that you will fully appreciate the posts here even more. I know most are familiar with his shootout by now and do this even if you don't realize you do.

Awesome purchase, my friend! :D I agree 100%; Nic is one of the best reviewers out there because he works so hard to write for the reader, and not himself. He's definitely changed the way I write, and he's at least 80% responsible for the support I've gotten on my reviews. Enjoy your future IEM, bud; don't forget the pics. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back