Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 21, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #9,226 of 40,594
After about 38 hours (we were at Disneyland the past few days, so I couldn't run it, but I gave it a few more hours after our return) my Zeus XR is really opening up. Sounds great at this point, even though I know I'm getting an exchange/different cable tomorrow. Bottom and mids really filled in, treble is still smoothing out, transparency is incredible. The nice thing about upgrading to a TOTL is that you expect to hear "more" than you were previously hearing, and I already am, even compared to my UERM. Lots of sounds buried in the mix are more obvious now, and sounds that previously may have been cancelling each other out are distinct. The syncopation in the Stones' "Paint It Black" is superb. Paired with the Astell SP1000, the Zeus is really shining! I'm going to get it up to about 50 hours and then, with the new Ares ll cable, will just be listening to my heart's content.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #9,227 of 40,594
Thanks for the recommendations. I was planning on plussound anyway since they have that black Friday deal soon and I was going to purchase their bluetooth cable then. Also they are the only company I know of that has a mic option as I do plan on using my phone often.

There are black Friday deals for the g1 module however $20+ shipping seems ridiculous. I'll look into the m15 module from 64 audio for now.
m15 has the same sound as the b1 module, if u would like a different sound, go for the m20 or u can pm me if u want to try and maybe buy the g1

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #9,228 of 40,594
Does anyone have a frequency response graphs of Zeus? Thank You

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #9,229 of 40,594
Does anyone have a frequency response graphs of Zeus? Thank You

You can find one on @crinacle's database, but be sure to read all of his disclaimers so you know what you're getting into. I'd also recommend - instead of looking at the Zeus graph on its own - comparing the Zeus graph against graphs of other IEMs you know. That way, you have a reliable reference, and you have a more accurate idea of what the Zeus sounds like.

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #9,230 of 40,594
Lol, I can imagine.. Leo is a very impressive cable.. I know I am going to regret after selling it. But I am left with no choice.. As I have to fall victim to an amp purchase. :)
Yeah, I really need to try Leo out one day. I am first getting Lionheart though, so that is going to be great!

I can just imagine it now. You looking in the mirror:
"Look at that nice amp..."
"You know you want it..."
"Don't you want it?"
"Yes, you do want it."
"And you will get it!"
"You are unstoppable!"
"Go for it!"

:sweat_smile:

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #9,231 of 40,594
You can find one on @crinacle's database, but be sure to read all of his disclaimers so you know what you're getting into. I'd also recommend - instead of looking at the Zeus graph on its own - comparing the Zeus graph against graphs of other IEMs you know. That way, you have a reliable reference, and you have a more accurate idea of what the Zeus sounds like.

Oh just to take note, it seems that the universal I measured may not be representative. Here's the graph for the Arthur (which is basically Zeus with different internal wiring I think?) and someone's custom Zeus. Quite different from the demo that was in Music Sanctuary at the time.

Nov 22, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #9,233 of 40,594
Was in the neighborhood so I stopped by to say hi to the Empire Ears crew at their office today. Folks, if you're ever in Atlanta you'll have to make time to visit the Empire labs. @Jack Vang and his father, Dean, are so damn welcoming and the facility is really nice. It's a treat to see where the magic happens since all of their IEMs are made on-site. It was great to meet @Ethan Groover for the first time as well... thanks again for letting me snag your USB C adapter so I could try out the Mojo and REI!

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #9,234 of 40,594
Was in the neighborhood so I stopped by to say hi to the Empire Ears crew at their office today. Folks, if you're ever in Atlanta you'll have to make time to visit the Empire labs. @Jack Vang and his father, Dean, are so damn welcoming and the facility is really nice. It's a treat to see where the magic happens since all of their IEMs are made on-site. It was great to meet @Ethan Groover for the first time as well... thanks again for letting me snag your USB C adapter so I could try out the Mojo and REI!
Impressions please :)

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #9,235 of 40,594
Impressions please :)

Didn't love the REI. It puts out a ton of power but it was a bit flat-sounding and rough. The Mojo was quite good. I haven't appreciated it in the past when I've heard it, but the pairing with EE's IEMs was quite nice. There's a certain refined and nuanced presentation that the Chord has that the Cozoy couldn't match. It's much smoother and more liquid in presentation, which is probably why the REI sounded a bit rough around the edges in comparison.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #9,236 of 40,594
I would like to as if I am using the MAM Adel model with Zeus-XR and I have it all the way closed, will that be equivalent to a non-adel version of Zeus-XR and will provide same amount of sound isolation as Zeus-XR non-adel?

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #9,237 of 40,594
Oh just to take note, it seems that the universal I measured may not be representative. Here's the graph for the Arthur (which is basically Zeus with different internal wiring I think?) and someone's custom Zeus. Quite different from the demo that was in Music Sanctuary at the time.

Thank you for your measurements, I would like to ask what do you mean by "No ADEL emulation" when measuring Zeus? Using MAM and close it all the way? or O1 model or you are using a Non-Adel version of Zeus for measurement?

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #9,238 of 40,594
The new shell design is more streamlined. The Adel version did not get a refresh only the non-Adel.

I got an Email reply from Empire Ears when I ask about new shell. They say "Both the non-adel and adel units going forward have a smaller and more comfortable shell." .

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #9,239 of 40,594
That's great news, when I received mine Jack said Adel didn't get a new shell design. It appears they have completed it now.

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #9,240 of 40,594
I would like to as if I am using the MAM Adel model with Zeus-XR and I have it all the way closed, will that be equivalent to a non-adel version of Zeus-XR and will provide same amount of sound isolation as Zeus-XR non-adel?
nope, slightly (5%) less in isolation and resolution but better soundstage(15%) so i think the trade off is ok for my spartans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back