Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 31, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #7,711 of 40,670
Thanks! To be honest I'll probably only be going the one afternoon for a variety of reasons. Am disabled for one thing, so whilst I can get about fairly easily I still have to watch myself over doing it! I plan on using this experience to see how I get on with it and if I'm ok maybe plan for both days next time!
Happy to give any assistance I can!

No worries - you can attend for however long you'd like - please make sure to come and see me (I shouldn't be difficult to find).

See you there! :left_facing_fist: (imagine a brown-colored fist)

May 31, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #7,712 of 40,670
I'll be echoing Moe too ^^
I was there from 10:30am till after closing time on both days of both Canjam Londons (minus the half day of volunteering at the entrance), I can tell you that personally time flies waaaaaayyyy too fast there.
And that's me who was just interested in daps, iems and cables. So no DAC/Amps, no cans. And I still missed out on soo many of the known totl gear.
So my advice would be to check the exhibitor list, make a short list of the booths you absolutely want to check out first.
Make an easy/fast accessible playlist of 3-5 songs for you to audition the gear you're interested in on a micro sd/ full TF/usb key. Just to gain time as some players have wonky interfaces, or laggy scrolling.
Bring your favorite ear tips and light clothing, it gets hot.
There's soo many stuff, you'll eventually forget some aspects so taking notes/notepad helps a ton. Especially when you wanna post your impressions on the CJ London thread.
Hope to see you there :wink:

May 31, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #7,713 of 40,670
Happy to give any assistance I can!

No worries - you can attend for however long you'd like - please make sure to come and see me (I shouldn't be difficult to find).

See you there! :left_facing_fist: (imagine a brown-colored fist)

Echoing others, one full day is a minimum. I always go expecting to only be a few hours because I don't want to be tempted to buy more stuff but most times end up going from 9-5. Most stalls don't sell directly. I think Jack mentioned a few times that EE will be there but plans change

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #7,714 of 40,670
It can affect the entire ear. Any sport that runs the risk of cauliflower ear (Judo, Ju Jitsu, Wrestling, MMA, etc.) would make it difficult for the practitioners to use customs, if their ears change shape (the entire ear) from time to time. It also depends on the person as well because they may still have cauliflower ear (like myself), but I've taken care of my ears enough to where I still have room for the housing of a CIEM. However for some, there isn't any way past using ear protection (may be easier to get choked, etc.), and for those with severe cauliflower ear, customs will not work for them. My friend who trains UFC fighters is one of them. He's practiced and taught Ju Jitsu for years, and his ears are literally swollen, hardended and shut - nothing can fit in his ears except an over-ear headphone - CIEMs are unfortunately completely out of the question for him. Fortunately he likes over-ear headphones so at least he gets his personal music in that way.

Edit: didn't see the edited post. If you drain, it may help, but it may change the individual's ear shape inside if they have severe swelling of the ear (like my friend's ears). Using headgear (mentioned above) will help decrease episodes of the constant bludgeoning of the ears, but usually in Ju Jitsu, Judo, and MMA sparring, you don't want to use headgear because it will be a definite hindrance to your practice.

The above is true.

I don't have extensive cauliflower ear but I have some on the outside and some on the inside where the CIEM would be located. On a few occassions it was specific instances that I could have drained but didn't, and there is also just some slight build up over time. I did use headgear (which is a bit annoying tbh) for probably 3 years, from blue belt and a little into purple. I have been a brown belt for a couple of years now and I think over the last 4 years I haven't really had any ear issues with jiu jitsu as my game has changed to be far less grindy. My intention is to get some customs probably by the end of the year, I am thinking either some A18's or Tia Fourte (if they release them in custom) or possibly one of Jack's new creations. Further ear changes through jiu jitsu is a ledgit possibility though and given that I am playing in the flagship end of iem's things a pretty pricy, could always get a reshell though if something happened, or just quit jiu jitsu (jokes).

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #7,715 of 40,670

NYC was huge, the most attended CanJam up to that point (SoCal 2017 later had more attendance and exhibitors). I was sad when I heard you couldn't make both days. I was hoping to get to chat more than the brief time we did. Next year!

Already told my wife, next year CanJam NYC will be a 2-day event for me :wink: One day was NOT enough!

Jun 1, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #7,716 of 40,670
So I've found myself actively thinking about going to Canjam this year in London. Priced up some coach tickets which work out about £60.00 for 3 of us which doesn't seem too bad in all honesty. By comparison a group of three travelling by train costs £153.00! Being a can jam newbie had a few questions (maybe better off in the canjam thread perhaps but a couple are Empire related).

1) Do Empire still take impressions at shows, and if so are they free or do they charge? To be honest this is the main reason I'm contemplating going after having a "couple" of refits not going great I figured I'd go straight to the source as it were. Plus it would be nice to meet Jack and the team.

2) Do the various stalls have merchandise to sell or is it demos only? Was just wondering how much cash (never enough!) to take with me. On that point are credit cards accepted or is it cash only?

3) Any preference as to which day to go on? I imagine Saturday will be quite busy and wondering if sunday would be any quieter?

Because of the length of the trip (relatively speaking compared to moedawg's!) I would get there around 12:15 and have to leave around 16-17:30 to get the coach back home. Would 3-4 hours be enough time to get a good taste of what can jams about or will it pass in the blink of an eye?

Any other pointers gratefully recieved!
If Empire Ears do not make it (for whatever reason), then Gisele Flower of Aid2Hearing will be there for an alternative for advice on impressions and getting you sorted. She is sometimes referred to as "the audiologist to the musicians", has a lot of experience and is generally highly regarded among Head-Fiers. So her booth might well be worth a stop.

Jun 1, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #7,717 of 40,670
This is just a trap to get you on a ping pong table, you have been warned.:wink:
I see a pattern here. @moedawg140 was very eager to invite me to Canjam too and I am beginning to suspect how this goes...
"Come to Canjam! We'll meet up and have fun!"
"Oh, look! A ping pong table... That looks like fun!"
[Big evil grin]
[Many exhausted Head-Fiers lying on the floor around the ping pong table gasping for air.]
:sweat_smile:

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #7,718 of 40,670
Already told my wife, next year CanJam NYC will be a 2-day event for me :wink: One day was NOT enough!
Its all good for now until her amnesia kicks in sometime next year

Jun 1, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #7,719 of 40,670
Its all good for now until her amnesia kicks in sometime next year

I'm not worried about that. My fear is that kids will stay home with grandparents while she comes along... to have her own shopping spree in NYC for two days while I'm at the show lol!!!

Jun 1, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #7,720 of 40,670
If Empire Ears do not make it (for whatever reason), then Gisele Flower of Aid2Hearing will be there for an alternative for advice on impressions and getting you sorted. She is sometimes referred to as "the audiologist to the musicians", has a lot of experience and is generally highly regarded among Head-Fiers. So her booth might well be worth a stop.

I recommend flying United, they have the best customer service. :imp:

Jun 1, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #7,721 of 40,670
I'm not worried about that. My fear is that kids will stay home with grandparents while she comes along... to have her own shopping spree in NYC for two days while I'm at the show lol!!!
Oh hell yes...a much more valid concern

Jun 3, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #7,722 of 40,670
I wanted to say after some time with the M20 Apex module in my XRA. I instantly liked the signature and have really grown to appreciate it. I use the XIV setting mostly and the module has created a bit more bass to the mix. It may not be earth shattering to you but it does accentuate the bass and doesn't constrict the the stage or impede the layering that are characteristic in the XRA. To me it has been a very positive effect. If you have the Apex M20 module give it a try...YMMV. I haven't tried the M15 but my guess would be it would over emphasize what the XRA already excels at.

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #7,723 of 40,670
Just dropping in real quick while I have a chance. I've been pretty busy these past few weeks so apologies for my lack of activity on the thread. I'm still actively responding to PMs, emails, and texts so don't hesitate to reach out! Also,@Canyon Runner is an official part of the EE family now so he can also be reached. Empire is definitely attending London CanJam BTW.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #7,724 of 40,670
Just dropping in real quick while I have a chance. I've been pretty busy these past few weeks so apologies for my lack of activity on the thread. I'm still actively responding to PMs, emails, and texts so don't hesitate to reach out! Also,@Canyon Runner is an official part of the EE family now so he can also be reached. Empire is definitely attending London CanJam BTW.

Cool!

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #7,725 of 40,670
Hey guys, I know I've kinda taken some time away from Head-Fi for a bit (that's kinda what happens when you move cross country and start getting used to normal office hours). But as Jack mentioned, I'll be back on here every day after work, at least to check my PMs and respond to posts if needed.

If something is dire (like your IEMs showed up and you have an issue & you're pissed) you can PM me on here, I have PM alerts set to go to my phone and I'll always get back to you ASAP. You can always hit me up on FaceBook as well (Steve Keeley, picture of my Zeus ADELs against TE37s).

Whatever I can do to help and be accessible, I will!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back