Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 31, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #7,696 of 40,630
As did mine!

For sure outer ear keeps growing as you get older, so does nose I believe. This is why old dudes have larger ears and noses sometimes. I won't allow my canals to change though because they're stuffed with CIEMs 10+ hours everyday. ^_-

I am cautious about customs as I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 6 times a week, so unfortunately from time to time I get some cauliflower ear that changes the shape of things.

May 31, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #7,697 of 40,630
See you in singapore next year?
We shall see. I was going to go last year but I would have had to take a bunch of days off of work, and even though I found a good price on a flight, the entire stay would have costed a lot of money -- money that wound up going to my family. Also, wrestling (Collegiate) season was still going on.

It may be even tougher to go next year if the event is during a state or national tournament I'll attend like it was two years ago (my wrestler I coached in high school became a National Runner-Up at the NCAA Championships last year, during CanJam Singapore).

May 31, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #7,698 of 40,630
waiting for jack to show so i can finalize my zeus xr purchase :L3000:

May 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #7,699 of 40,630
I am cautious about customs as I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 6 times a week, so unfortunately from time to time I get some cauliflower ear that changes the shape of things.

But that's only on the outside I would think, do you not drain? I use drain and use headgear, I've never had an issue in over a decade.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #7,700 of 40,630
But that's only on the outside I would think, do you not drain? I use drain and use headgear, I've never had an issue in over a decade.
It can affect the entire ear. Any sport that runs the risk of cauliflower ear (Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, MMA, etc.) would make it difficult for the practitioners to use customs, if their ears change shape (the entire ear) from time to time. It also depends on the person as well because they may still have cauliflower ear (like myself), but I've taken care of my ears enough to where I still have room for the housing of a CIEM. However for some, there isn't any way past using ear protection (may be easier to get choked, etc.), and for those with severe cauliflower ear, customs will not work for them. My friend who trains UFC fighters is one of them. He's practiced and taught Jiu-Jitsu for years, and his ears are literally swollen, hardened and shut - nothing can fit in his ears except an over-ear headphone - CIEMs are unfortunately completely out of the question for him. Fortunately he likes over-ear headphones so at least he gets his personal music in that way.

Edit: didn't see the edited post. If you drain, it may help, but it may change the individual's ear shape inside if they have severe swelling of the ear (like my friend's ears). Using headgear (mentioned above) will help decrease episodes of the constant bludgeoning of the ears, but usually in Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, and MMA sparring, you don't want to use headgear because it will be a definite hindrance to your practice.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #7,701 of 40,630
So I've found myself actively thinking about going to Canjam this year in London. Priced up some coach tickets which work out about £60.00 for 3 of us which doesn't seem too bad in all honesty. By comparison a group of three travelling by train costs £153.00! Being a can jam newbie had a few questions (maybe better off in the canjam thread perhaps but a couple are Empire related).

1) Do Empire still take impressions at shows, and if so are they free or do they charge? To be honest this is the main reason I'm contemplating going after having a "couple" of refits not going great I figured I'd go straight to the source as it were. Plus it would be nice to meet Jack and the team.

2) Do the various stalls have merchandise to sell or is it demos only? Was just wondering how much cash (never enough!) to take with me. On that point are credit cards accepted or is it cash only?

3) Any preference as to which day to go on? I imagine Saturday will be quite busy and wondering if sunday would be any quieter?

Because of the length of the trip (relatively speaking compared to moedawg's!) I would get there around 12:15 and have to leave around 16-17:30 to get the coach back home. Would 3-4 hours be enough time to get a good taste of what can jams about or will it pass in the blink of an eye?

Any other pointers gratefully recieved!

May 31, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #7,702 of 40,630
So I've found myself actively thinking about going to Canjam this year in London. Priced up some coach tickets which work out about £60.00 for 3 of us which doesn't seem too bad in all honesty. By comparison a group of three travelling by train costs £153.00! Being a can jam newbie had a few questions (maybe better off in the canjam thread perhaps but a couple are Empire related).

1) Do Empire still take impressions at shows, and if so are they free or do they charge? To be honest this is the main reason I'm contemplating going after having a "couple" of refits not going great I figured I'd go straight to the source as it were. Plus it would be nice to meet Jack and the team.

2) Do the various stalls have merchandise to sell or is it demos only? Was just wondering how much cash (never enough!) to take with me. On that point are credit cards accepted or is it cash only?

3) Any preference as to which day to go on? I imagine Saturday will be quite busy and wondering if sunday would be any quieter?

Because of the length of the trip (relatively speaking compared to moedawg's!) I would get there around 12:15 and have to leave around 16-17:30 to get the coach back home. Would 3-4 hours be enough time to get a good taste of what can jams about or will it pass in the blink of an eye?

Jack did impressions at the 2016 SoCal CanJam, he didn't make it to the 2017. Stalls do sell at shows, some still ship, but some have inventory, it depends on the booths. I hear that CanJam is not as big as others, so if you want to just talk with one seller, one day should be fine, up to you which.

May 31, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #7,703 of 40,630
The time will pass very quickly, at least for me it did. I'm pretty sure they are still doing impressions for free.

May 31, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #7,704 of 40,630
Jack did impressions at the 2016 SoCal CanJam, he didn't make it to the 2017. Stalls do sell at shows, some still ship, but some have inventory, it depends on the booths. I hear that CanJam is not as big as others, so if you want to just talk with one seller, one day should be fine, up to you which.

CanJam NYC was pretty big, at least in my opinion :wink: I think Jack (or Dean) still offer free impressions. Plus, many manufacturers offer show discounts which is a big plus.

May 31, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #7,705 of 40,630

1) Should be free! They've not charged for impressions and no one else has either at the events.

2) Some vendors have merchandise to sell and some won't. You can most always purchase merchandise that is on sale with a credit card, or they will direct you to their online shop. The prototypes won't be on sale. Sometimes certain manufacturers will sell a demo if you work it out with them.

3) I would personally go both days, especially if you plan to talk to Head-Fiers (I hope to meet you!) Time flies, in my opinion, and is only good to go one day if you have a plan of only checking out a few booths. With certain shows that are three days (like this upcoming LA Audio Show), I'll be spending two full days there but only an hour or two on Friday to pick up some new gear from manufacturers.

Oh and with regards to just being at CanJam for a few hours, there will more than likely be after-event activities as well. Last year was Go-Karting at an uber-awesome track with hills, and we played table tennis at my current favorite table tennis place in the world: Bounce, which is just a mile or so away from CanJam London!

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing you there!

May 31, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #7,707 of 40,630
Being a can jam newbie had a few questions.
1) Dean took my impressions in NYC, so as long as Empire themselves are there and not going through a distributor then I think you'll be covered. I don't see them not making the trip themselves. Heck, they do Singapore and Japan shows.

2) Depends on the exhibitor, but some will sell at the show and some won't. Companies that sell exclusively through dealers usually don't sell while brands that sell direct or have no local distributor are more likely to have inventory on-hand. Many accept card.

3) Sunday tends to be quieter, but you'll usually have an hour or two less than Saturday. While I'm not a fan of it, some exhibitors have packed up early in the past so that time could potentially be even shorter. You'll meet more people on Saturday and there's usually something going on afterwards, but it is more crowded and the environment is sometimes more noisy on Saturday. It's tough to pick which day to attend if you can only make one, but I'd personally choose to go with Saturday for the experience. Yes it's likely to be more crowded, but you'll meet more people and it's hard to not love the energy in the room that Saturday brings. Still, if you're wrangling a family it may be easier to manage on Sunday. On either day you're going to be moving quickly if you want to hit as much as you can in 3-4 hours. Make a list of must-hears ahead of time.

Either way, it'd be great to see you at the show.

CanJam NYC was pretty big, at least in my opinion
NYC was huge, the most attended CanJam up to that point (SoCal 2017 later had more attendance and exhibitors). I was sad when I heard you couldn't make both days. I was hoping to get to chat more than the brief time we did. Next year!

May 31, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #7,708 of 40,630
1) Should be free! They've not charged for impressions and no one else has either at the events.

2) Some vendors have merchandise to sell and some won't. You can most always purchase merchandise that is on sale with a credit card, or they will direct you to their online shop. The prototypes won't be on sale. Sometimes certain manufacturers will sell a demo if you work it out with them.

3) I would personally go both days, especially if you plan to talk to Head-Fiers (I hope to meet you!) Time flies, in my opinion, and is only good to go one day if you have a plan of only checking out a few booths. With certain shows that are three days (like this upcoming LA Audio Show), I'll be spending two full days there but only an hour or two on Friday to pick up some new gear from manufacturers.

Oh and with regards to just being at CanJam for a few hours, there will more than likely be after-event activities as well. Last year was Go-Karting at an uber-awesome track with hills, and we played table tennis at my current favorite table tennis place in the world: Bounce, which is just a mile or so away from CanJam London!

This is just a trap to get you on a ping pong table, you have been warned.:wink:

May 31, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #7,709 of 40,630

Thanks! To be honest I'll probably only be going the one afternoon for a variety of reasons. Am disabled for one thing, so whilst I can get about fairly easily I still have to watch myself over doing it! I plan on using this experience to see how I get on with it and if I'm ok maybe plan for both days next time!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back