Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 16, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #6,811 of 40,606

maybe i should not sell my athenas then and move on up to zeus xr ? choices.....

I think it really depends on what type of sound that you are looking for. Personally, I feel that the Zeus is not necessarily a direct upgrade to the Athena; they are both of a different signature.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #6,812 of 40,606
This Prototype H sounds like something I need to try.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #6,813 of 40,606
  From what I heard from Dean, they are in the final stages of prototyping and should be due in a couple of months! Hang in there, it's worth it 
beerchug.gif

Sure glad that's the case. it's been a while since I returned to head fi and I am still looking forward to my first CIEM. 
biggrin.gif

Also nice review on Athena. Glad you enjoyed it.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #6,814 of 40,606
Mar 16, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #6,815 of 40,606
Removed some off topic posts. Let's keep it to Empire Ears in this thread, please. :)
Sorry if that was caused by me bringing up the eartips.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #6,816 of 40,606
Adding on to the comments that have been mentioned here, as a basshead Prototype H is the best thing I've heard in a long, long time. I even preferred it to the Tia Fourte, and that's saying a lot as the Fourte was pretty impressive in its own right. 

Prototype H has the roundest, most textured and extended bass with a natural tone that even some hybrids fail to achieve. Pair that with superb resolution and coherency, and the Empire guys have me waiting with bated breath. I think I know what my next IEM is probably going to be...

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #6,820 of 40,606
Hello again. It's been a while since I checked in. FWIW I've bought an Apogee Groove and it just showed up. I was interested in it because of it's "Constant Current Drive" amp. However I had read it doesn't play nice with some multi-ba phones. Not the case with my Zeus XR-A. Thankfully as I was a little worried, because I hadn't seen that until after it was ordered. I'll save more thoughts until later, but it really adds some punch to the low end. Still tight, but more impact. Initially impressed. I also am on the Linum Super BAX tour, and just got that today also. So I'll do some listening and comparing and get back with more in-depth thoughts.

And why has Jack developed new awesome in-ears? I may have to disappear from here before they're officially released. Haha.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #6,821 of 40,606
I prefer a more *loud* bass than impact..... I'm hoping that the X is not overly inpactful or bloating.

The X is what you're looking for in that case. It has a bass that is wide and enveloping, with a rumble that is not heard, but felt. The bass has a tactility and physicality that I found outstandingly unique. On the other hand, the H is the more impactful, punchy, and dynamic bass, which is more heard and less felt. The more I think about it, and the more it gets brought up in this thread, the H and the X are brilliantly complementary to one another.

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #6,822 of 40,606

The X is what you're looking for in that case. It has a bass that is wide and enveloping, with a rumble that is not heard, but felt. The bass has a tactility and physicality that I found outstandingly unique. On the other hand, the H is the more impactful, punchy, and dynamic bass, which is more heard and less felt. The more I think about it, and the more it gets brought up in this thread, the H and the X are brilliantly complementary to one another.

so which of those is the next flagship the x or h, and which has more full layered mids 

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #6,823 of 40,606
so which of those is the next flagship the x or h, and which has more full layered mids 
I don't believe Jack ever said that either of the new Prototypes are flagships, just additions to the line-up. I haven't seen what I know about them spec wise specifically stated on here yet so I can't really say more, other than that I'm excited after listening to the H at Canjam NYC.

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #6,824 of 40,606
  Hello again. It's been a while since I checked in. FWIW I've bought an Apogee Groove and it just showed up. I was interested in it because of it's "Constant Current Drive" amp. However I had read it doesn't play nice with some multi-ba phones. Not the case with my Zeus XR-A. Thankfully as I was a little worried, because I hadn't seen that until after it was ordered. I'll save more thoughts until later, but it really adds some punch to the low end. Still tight, but more impact. Initially impressed. I also am on the Linum Super BAX tour, and just got that today also. So I'll do some listening and comparing and get back with more in-depth thoughts.

And why has Jack developed new awesome in-ears? I may have to disappear from here before they're officially released. Haha.

How's your XRA?

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #6,825 of 40,606
How's your XRA?

In a word? Awesome. I've had them for a month or two now. Don't really remember. They are beasts for live stage use. You just hear everything. And that's with some of the lower end wireless iem systems. For mixing they're great also. Like a microscope for the mids. Especially in the XIV setting. Wide deep soundstage. I can pinpoint panning of instruments. Another way of putting it, I've had them for a month of two and will be having a sale on the rest of my collection sometime soon. Definitely end game for me.... as long as I don't hear anything else about these new ones. Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back