Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 26, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #5,614 of 40,559
Thinking about getting my XR switched to an adel. But only with mam so I can shut off adel entirely when I need higher quality sound.

Now I hear there is rattling issues with the MAM or modules in general? How can one fight that?

I've never heard any rattling.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #5,615 of 40,559
Thinking about getting my XR switched to an adel. But only with mam so I can shut off adel entirely when I need higher quality sound.

Now I hear there is rattling issues with the MAM or modules in general? How can one fight that?

MAM has some flopping when it's semi-open. This doesn't happen when it's closed. Normal modules don't flop.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #5,617 of 40,559
Thanks, I appreciate it. Is this rattling heard over the music if you move around?

It happens to me whenever I move my head. I have to be absolutely still if i don't want it to flop. I believe different people may have different experiences because of ear anatomy although I may be wrong.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #5,618 of 40,559
It happens to me whenever I move my head. I have to be absolutely still if i don't want it to flop. I believe different people may have different experiences because of ear anatomy although I may be wrong.

Dang... Well that seems aweful, because it disturbs fidelity if it makes noise when you move...

I guess now...is what module should I get? I guess mam due to me wanting no adel at certain times...

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #5,619 of 40,559
Dang... Well that seems aweful, because it disturbs fidelity if it makes noise when you move...

I guess now...is what module should I get? I guess mam due to me wanting no adel at certain times...

IMO you want to get an Adel version. For me the health benefits make it worth it. The way it adds width and openess to the soundstage is a super nice bonus. And the ability to tweak the signature is also very handy. But there's not huge differences in modules. The XR switch does way more than a module will, at least to me. I also have the MAMs and have yet to hear any kind of flopping or noise coming from them.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #5,620 of 40,559
IMO you want to get an Adel version. For me the health benefits make it worth it. The way it adds width and openess to the soundstage is a super nice bonus. And the ability to tweak the signature is also very handy. But there's not huge differences in modules. The XR switch does way more than a module will, at least to me. I also have the MAMs and have yet to hear any kind of flopping or noise coming from them.

OK. Great, I have The non adel XR right now. But due to a change in careers I'll need to hear outside noise while listening to music.

I like the way Zeus sounds currently I don't need any Soundstage increase or anything. I hear adel looses bass and I am dreading that, but I need it solely at work. At home when listening will be done with the MAM closed.

To me it sounds (I haven't experienced adel yet) like adel *breaks the seal* without actually breaking the seal. But I do appreciate its intent to stop or slow the pneumatic pressure.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #5,621 of 40,559
Do you have customs or universals? I ask because I spent quite some time with the non-adel zeus XR universals, before ordering my customs w/ADEL. And at least to me, my customs w/ADEL have more low end and punch compared to the universals without. I'm chalking it up to bone conduction, but it made the already outstanding signatures even better. I too was afraid of losing low end with the modules, but that's simply not the case at all. It was the opposite really. At least for me.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #5,622 of 40,559
Do you have customs or universals? I ask because I spent quite some time with the non-adel zeus XR universals, before ordering my customs w/ADEL. And at least to me, my customs w/ADEL have more low end and punch compared to the universals without. I'm chalking it up to bone conduction, but it made the already outstanding signatures even better. I too was afraid of losing low end with the modules, but that's simply not the case at all. It was the opposite really. At least for me.

I have XR (non adel) in custom

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #5,623 of 40,559

Eh, as far as I know, it's pretty much dependent on your ear anatomy. Also I'm not sure that EE is doing conversions, I was a special case with what else I was having done with the custom material for my faceplates and the fit issues I was originally having that are now solved, they had to rebuild the entire CIEM for me anyways, which is why Jack did it for me.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #5,624 of 40,559
MAM has some flopping when it's semi-open. This doesn't happen when it's closed. Normal modules don't flop.
It definitely happens when fully closed in my right ear, it's more dependant on the individual's internal ear anatomy.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #5,625 of 40,559
You need to talk to Steve then. In fully closed state, there is tension on the membrane. A correctly operating one can't flop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back