Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 27, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #5,626 of 40,587
You need to talk to Steve then. In fully closed state, there is tension on the membrane. A correctly operating one can't flop.
I've talked to him about it and he said it's rare for it to happen when fully closed but it does for me. I also swapped the modules to opposite sides to check and it still only happened in my right ear with them fully closed so I know it's not the modules.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #5,628 of 40,587
I've talked to him about it and he said it's rare for it to happen when fully closed but it does for me. I also swapped the modules to opposite sides to check and it still only happened in my right ear with them fully closed so I know it's not the modules.

That doesn't make sense.  If the modules are under tension - how can they flop?  I'd get them back to Steve to get them tested.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #5,629 of 40,587

I've spent the past week with my Athena VIII ADEL and I couldn't be happier with it. It's the best constructed, fitting, and looking CIEM I currently have, and its sound is an absolute pleasure to experience: full-yet-defined, balanced and musical bass, luscious, fun, and resolving mids, and a smooth treble with enough sparkle for great clarity.

The ADEL module has also been a revelatory piece of technology for me; significantly reducing hearing fatigue, providing a pitch-black background for great dynamics, soundstage and separation, and preventing the 'fun' bass from becoming overbearing and "noisy" (for a lack of a better term), even if it comes at a cost of reduced isolation.

In short, kudos to the EE team as well as Asius Technologies, I'm predicting an incredibly successful year in 2017 and many more to come!

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #5,630 of 40,587
That doesn't make sense.  If the modules are under tension - how can they flop?  I'd get them back to Steve to get them tested.
The membrane doesn't get tensioned when fully closed, it just closes the module and because of that it "tightens" it but its just because the air behind the membrane can't escape. My right ear canal changes shape a lot, therefore changing the internal volume, so it still moves the membrane. And it still only does it in my right ear even when I swap the modules to opposite sides. I pretty much only use the MAM fully open or a little less than that so it doesn't bother me much.

Edit: I'm planning on being at Canjam NYC so I could just talk to him then, as long as he gets his voice back, hope him and Jack get better soon.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #5,631 of 40,587
Hi, 

Can anyone compare  ZEUS XIV and R   to   Hidition NT6, please?

Listening to my NT6 pierces me ears a little in treble, even with copper cables so I'm looking for something similar but a bit smoothe on the top end but with keeping that great clarity. Plus I wish to buy an IEM with a little more mid bass slam. 

Thanks in advance:)

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #5,632 of 40,587
  Hi, 

Can anyone compare  ZEUS XIV and R   to   Hidition NT6, please?

Listening to my NT6 pierces me ears a little in treble, even with copper cables so I'm looking for something similar but a bit smoothe on the top end but with keeping that great clarity. Plus I wish to buy an IEM with a little more mid bass slam. 

Thanks in advance:)

1st bold : i had the same effect with a 150$ copper cable

2nd bold :  try the whiplash hybrid v3 (8-con) , it should fix all your problems/shortcomings and give you what you want

btw , very interested in a NT6 /zeus xr comparison , as zeus seems to be the one ciem i would love to get as an upgrade to my NT6 ( along with se5 ult)

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #5,633 of 40,587
Thinking about getting my XR switched to an adel. But only with mam so I can shut off adel entirely when I need higher quality sound.

Now I hear there is rattling issues with the MAM or modules in general? How can one fight that?

Rattling issues are not an issue for me with regard to MAM.  It's not so much rattling as it is flopping.  When the membrane is the least tensioned it can be it will tend to flop around if you headband or tilt your head left and right.  I don't listen at that setting as I don't like the thump-less/bass-less sound at that setting.  If you do your listening sitting down, flopping or "rattling" as you say will not be an issue for you at all.  I listen a8-10 hours a day at my desk and her 0 flops.  I tend to listen at the impedance matched setting and 1/2 to 1/4 turn from fully open (knob all the way in).

Just to poke you a little bit...I knew you would eventually want ADEL.  I tried no-ADEL yesterday by closing my MAMs all the way and I could only stand the pressure for a few minutes before I had to switch back to ADEL and was greeted by the lovely fluttering of the membrane as pressure left my canals and then the fluttering stopped and the pressure was normalized.  Once you go ADEL you never go back.  Also I don't perceive ADEL as lower quality (less resolution/detail), it's just different.  If you want me to elaborate I can.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #5,634 of 40,587
Dang... Well that seems aweful, because it disturbs fidelity if it makes noise when you move...

I guess now...is what module should I get? I guess mam due to me wanting no adel at certain times...

You are freaking out about nothing.  The vast majority of MAM settings result in no flopping at all. Relax.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #5,635 of 40,587
OK. Great, I have The non adel XR right now. But due to a change in careers I'll need to hear outside noise while listening to music.

I like the way Zeus sounds currently I don't need any Soundstage increase or anything. I hear adel looses bass and I am dreading that, but I need it solely at work. At home when listening will be done with the MAM closed.

To me it sounds (I haven't experienced adel yet) like adel *breaks the seal* without actually breaking the seal. But I do appreciate its intent to stop or slow the pneumatic pressure.

There is no downside to getting ADEL MAM, you can always disable it completely and go back to typical damaging high pressure listening.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #5,636 of 40,587

I've spent the past week with my Athena VIII ADEL and I couldn't be happier with it. It's the best constructed, fitting, and looking CIEM I currently have, and its sound is an absolute pleasure to experience: full-yet-defined, balanced and musical bass, luscious, fun, and resolving mids, and a smooth treble with enough sparkle for great clarity.

The ADEL module has also been a revelatory piece of technology for me; significantly reducing hearing fatigue, providing a pitch-black background for great dynamics, soundstage and separation, and preventing the 'fun' bass from becoming overbearing and "noisy" (for a lack of a better term), even if it comes at a cost of reduced isolation.

In short, kudos to the EE team as well as Asius Technologies, I'm predicting an incredibly successful year in 2017 and many more to come!

Check out MAM, I love mine.  I also have G1/B1/S1 and since I've got MAM I'd say I use MAM 90% of the time.  I love being able to change things up if I'm listening to warm Doom metal I'll crank the bass to exaggerate the effect, sometimes when I listen to cold-mastered black metal I'll put the basket all the way in to make the song warmer.  Have fun!!

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #5,637 of 40,587
I'd like to knwo if there will be a sale soon like on BlackFriday on the EE line? I have the Zeus R in universal, and I am interested in testing the XIV sound signature, so it may be an occasion to buy a XR universal pair

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #5,638 of 40,587

Check out MAM, I love mine.  I also have G1/B1/S1 and since I've got MAM I'd say I use MAM 90% of the time.  I love being able to change things up if I'm listening to warm Doom metal I'll crank the bass to exaggerate the effect, sometimes when I listen to cold-mastered black metal I'll put the basket all the way in to make the song warmer.  Have fun!!

I'll definitely be giving it a try when I get the chance, thanks!

I'd like to knwo if there will be a sale soon like on BlackFriday on the EE line? I have the Zeus R in universal, and I am interested in testing the XIV sound signature, so it may be an occasion to buy a XR universal pair

Nearest sale is probably gonna be at the two upcoming CanJams.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #5,640 of 40,587
there is the same sensivity / Hiss problem with the new XR than with Zeus R ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back