Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 26, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #5,596 of 40,588
My confusion, it says on the Asius website the G1 has "more clear bass". I will continue playing with the MAM's but it would seem using them sealed, except for certain occasions, defeats the main benefit of the technology. I'm guessing that means I should be searching for the IEM with the sound I'm looking for rather than a different ADEL module.

Just wondering out loud; If we could categorize the obsession to fulfill one's sound needs as a disease, wouldn't we be able to shake down our employer's for a treatment plan
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your advice!

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #5,597 of 40,588
  My confusion, it says on the Asius website the G1 has "more clear bass". I will continue playing with the MAM's but it would seem using them sealed, except for certain occasions, defeats the main benefit of the technology. I'm guessing that means I should be searching for the IEM with the sound I'm looking for rather than a different ADEL module.

Just wondering out loud; If we could categorize the obsession to fulfill one's sound needs as a disease, wouldn't we be able to shake down our employer's for a treatment plan
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your advice!

G1 module gives off a slightly V shaped sound signature. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #5,598 of 40,588

biggrin.gif

Thanks for your advice!

So about that description on G1, here is what happened; S1 was the first module in the market and people loved it, but only until MAM and B1 were released. B1 and Fully-Open MAM became people's new favorite and became the new reference points. These two modules offered better stage width and instrument separation. But it also reduced the quantity of the low frequencies. So, those who loved the bass on the S1, missed the same bass response with the B1 and Fully-Open MAM, while they loved the added stage width and improved separation. So Asius launched a 4th module, called the G1, which had more bass than the B1 and Fully-Open MAM, while retaining the wider stage and the improved separation. So the statement G1 has 'more clear bass' is in reference to the B1 and MAM Fully-Open.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #5,599 of 40,588

yup, in my opinion too, can't go wrong with both XIV or R tunings. I don't find the R tuning boring even when switching from the XIV tuning.

In a vacuum, the R would be a magnificent IEM. It did almost everything right, and then some. When moving between the X and the R, however, the loss in midrange weight and prominence is entirely noticeable. Subjectively, I wouldn't be able to live with the R, knowing that the X is but a flip of a switch away. The X's mids are absolutely wonderful, and lends a great hand in rendering some of the most intimate and emotional vocals ever heard in a earphone.

Both are great IEMs, no doubt. However, the XIV (or the X tuning) still stands as the top dog in the Empire Ears stable, IMO. Can't live without those awesome mids. 
smile.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #5,600 of 40,588
taking the price out of the equation , zeus seems to be the 'perfect' ciem to me (if there is a perfect ciem in this damn hobby 
tongue.gif
 )

2 amazing ciems in one shell , with enough sonic difference to justify hearing  them both - if i ever win a jackpot , this is the first ciem i would order 
gs1000.gif

plus sony 1a/ dx200 / whiplash twau 

dreams , they never cease in here 
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #5,601 of 40,588
The Zeus contain enough drivers for 7 Supra :p No wonder they sounded godly.
Having recently bought a pair of Supra, I can say that EE has my vote on comfortable fit, for universal IEMs. They also sound wonderful, and very well tuned. I really like them, glad to buy these. What I found a bit more ?? though, is that subjectively speaking, I found that Supra sound better than Noble Savant. Which are more expensive, but having the same number of drivers.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #5,602 of 40,588
  @Canyon Runner, noob question; sorry if this has been asked before, I recently purchased Spartan IV with MAMs - I've done some basic searches and read most of the instructions I can get my hands on - I can't find anything on how the MAM's should function other than all the way out for fully closed and tensioned membrane and all the way in for fully open but tensioned membrane. It sounds like the extreme positions are effectively the same.

However, I'm not sure how far "out" out is. I can certainly feel some resistance from about the middle out as I screw the MAM's out but I'm not sure how far it can screw out or when to stop - it seems to tighten but not stop. Conversely, the middle to open end there isn't any resistance until it hard stops. To me the feel of the stops at each end isn't similar. Any links or advice ?

I've seen Ike1985's instructions but they don't tell me what all the way "out" feels like. I hope that makes sense.

Can the MAM effectively replicate the other modules ?
I'm wondering if the G1 has a different/more bottom end than the MAM.

Thanks!

Hey man, PM me for more info so I can get down to the nitty gritty to make sure you've got a firm grasp of everything. I'm currently sick, so I'm not staying on top of the threads like I usually do. Trying to juggle a bunch of posts on my screen with my head this congested is proving to be a horrible idea, so PM is just easier. Then by all means when we get everything figured out, feel free to post it on here for other people that might be having an issue/questions. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #5,603 of 40,588

In a vacuum, the R would be a magnificent IEM. It did almost everything right, and then some. When moving between the X and the R, however, the loss in midrange weight and prominence is entirely noticeable. Subjectively, I wouldn't be able to live with the R, knowing that the X is but a flip of a switch away. The X's mids are absolutely wonderful, and lends a great hand in rendering some of the most intimate and emotional vocals ever heard in a earphone.

Both are great IEMs, no doubt. However, the XIV (or the X tuning) still stands as the top dog in the Empire Ears stable, IMO. Can't live without those awesome mids. 
smile.gif

Have you tried the G1 module by any chance? I feel that it gives more energy to the mids at the cost of a little soundstage. Mids are sweet and lush with G1.
  The Zeus contain enough drivers for 7 Supra :p No wonder they sounded godly.
Having recently bought a pair of Supra, I can say that EE has my vote on comfortable fit, for universal IEMs. They also sound wonderful, and very well tuned. I really like them, glad to buy these. What I found a bit more ?? though, is that subjectively speaking, I found that Supra sound better than Noble Savant. Which are more expensive, but having the same number of drivers.

In my opinion, driver count is just a number. Look at how great Andromeda sounds with just 5 per ear. It's the implementation that really matters.
  Hey man, PM me for more info so I can get down to the nitty gritty to make sure you've got a firm grasp of everything. I'm currently sick, so I'm not staying on top of the threads like I usually do. Trying to juggle a bunch of posts on my screen with my head this congested is proving to be a horrible idea, so PM is just easier. Then by all means when we get everything figured out, feel free to post it on here for other people that might be having an issue/questions. 

Get well soon man

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #5,604 of 40,588
Well i meant that, even one Supra is already great. they're well tuned. and with the resources/engine enough for 7 Supra and tuning ability/quality of EE. No wonder Zeus has that incredible sound.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #5,605 of 40,588
  G1 module gives off a slightly V shaped sound signature. 

Have you tried the G1 module by any chance? I feel that it gives more energy to the mids at the cost of a little soundstage. Mids are sweet and lush with G1.

Hey man, what you have described in these 2 posts seem to contradict each another. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #5,606 of 40,588

Hey man, what you have described in these 2 posts seem to contradict each another. 

I understand where this is coming from. It's a little hard to describe.
B1 gives a mid forward open sound with less bass impact and less sparkle up top. It's this expansive relaxing sound like relaxing in the evening on a beach.
G1 has more bass impact and more sparkle. G1 has a smaller soundstage. This gives more energy to the mids. Mids are lusher and stronger. However, they are still not as forward as B1. Do keep in mind that the "V shape" I'm describing is still pretty reference, it's just compared to the B1. A similar analogy would be relaxing music in a disco.

B1 mids are forward as compared to the rest of the sound.
G1 mids are stronger and lush but a little laid back compared to the rest of the spectrum.
B1 is more coherent. G1 is overall clearer across the spectrum.

PS: Do note, I'm describing these modules how they sound with the U12.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #5,608 of 40,588
  @Canyon Runner, noob question; sorry if this has been asked before, I recently purchased Spartan IV with MAMs - I've done some basic searches and read most of the instructions I can get my hands on - I can't find anything on how the MAM's should function other than all the way out for fully closed and tensioned membrane and all the way in for fully open but tensioned membrane. It sounds like the extreme positions are effectively the same.

However, I'm not sure how far "out" out is. I can certainly feel some resistance from about the middle out as I screw the MAM's out but I'm not sure how far it can screw out or when to stop - it seems to tighten but not stop. Conversely, the middle to open end there isn't any resistance until it hard stops. To me the feel of the stops at each end isn't similar. Any links or advice ?

I've seen Ike1985's instructions but they don't tell me what all the way "out" feels like. I hope that makes sense.

Can the MAM effectively replicate the other modules ?
I'm wondering if the G1 has a different/more bottom end than the MAM.

Thanks!

With the basket directly behind the membrane (knob all the way in) an "increased bass" effect is created as the sound that is passing through the membrane is being immediately blasted back at it by the basket directly behind the membrane.

"Out" is where you can't turn the knob anymore, you've hit the rear inside of the module-the limit.  It will stop, also the operation of the device should loosen up a bit overtime and you will become aware of exactly all settings overtime, do not fret.  You can also tell when you're in the closed position (knob all the way out) because both isolation from outside noise and pressure will be the greatest.  Listen for a few minutes with the knob all the way out (closed with no ADEL in operation), feel the pressure, then turn the knob in reactivating ADEL and feel the membrane flutter and release the pressure.  Become familiar with the sense of pressure and fluttery pressure release so you can identify it.  You can also experience this fluttering by listening with the knob all the way in for awhile and then backing it out a bit.

MAM can sort of replicate the other modules as others have said but it is not a complete replication.  For example, MAM has 6 vent holes and the other modules only have one.  Also MAM has a sliding basket and the others do not.  I can tell differences between all of them.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #5,609 of 40,588

biggrin.gif

Thanks for your advice!

For starting out, try...

1. Each module tune to your individual left and right ear anatomy
2. Turned all the way in for maximum bass
3. Turned all the way in for maximum bass and then back the knob out 1/4 to 1/2 turn to half turn
4. Back the knob all the way out(closed with no ADEL operating) and then dial it in 1/4 to 1/2 turn
5. Fully closed/Maximum isolation/No ADEL benefits
6. Middle setting, floppiest membrane, least bass.

Of course you have a ton of adjustments between each setting as well but for me those are the major ones.  I typically use 1 and 3 99% of the time.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #5,610 of 40,588
  taking the price out of the equation , zeus seems to be the 'perfect' ciem to me (if there is a perfect ciem in this damn hobby 
tongue.gif
 )

2 amazing ciems in one shell , with enough sonic difference to justify hearing  them both - if i ever win a jackpot , this is the first ciem i would order 
gs1000.gif

plus sony 1a/ dx200 / whiplash twau 

dreams , they never cease in here 
biggrin.gif

Don't forget that Zeus is even more customizable with MAM, G1, B1, S1 and any future module's Asius releases! Truly a tinkerer's IEM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back