Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 5, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #3,886 of 40,577
Okay guys...troubling thought....

Fiio X3 II is gonna be here soon, but now comes a question...

Alo Rx or Chord Mojo?

I heard the Empire Ears respond well with Mojo, but what of the RX?

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,888 of 40,577
Okay guys...troubling thought....

Fiio X3 II is gonna be here soon, but now comes a question...

Alo Rx or Chord Mojo?

I heard the Empire Ears respond well with Mojo, but what of the RX?

mojo all the way

or get the new lg v20 and you have one device for everything

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #3,889 of 40,577
mojo all the way

or get the new lg v20 and you have one device for everything

I am still not sure if I want to use smartphones alone to listen to music but that thing does seem promising.

But isn't that phone.... expensive even compared to iPhones?

I dunno.

But the Mojo does feel like a gem worth having and pairing it with X3 is still pocket friendly....

Hmm.....

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #3,890 of 40,577
I am still not sure if I want to use smartphones alone to listen to music but that thing does seem promising.

But isn't that phone.... expensive even compared to iPhones?

I dunno.

But the Mojo does feel like a gem worth having and pairing it with X3 is still pocket friendly....

Hmm.....

​mojo is better but if if you do not like stacks, well lg v20 is a dam good phone and hiss and sounds way better than x3ii

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,891 of 40,577
​mojo is better but if if you do not like stacks, well lg v20 is a dam good phone and hiss and sounds way better than x3ii

Oh I don't mind stacks. I am just using the X3 ii as a placeholder for my music files because I wanna bypass it's DAC for something better like Mojo's.

I like alternatives but there dont seem to be many portable DACs that support coax in configuration.

Don't say the Hugo though. That thing's wayyyyy out of my price bracket.

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #3,892 of 40,577
Oh I don't mind stacks. I am just using the X3 ii as a placeholder for my music files because I wanna bypass it's DAC for something better like Mojo's.

I like alternatives but there dont seem to be many portable DACs that support coax in configuration.

Don't say the Hugo though. That thing's wayyyyy out of my price bracket.

​mojo is highly rec on here and I really like mojo with ee iems

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #3,894 of 40,577

This was incredibly helpful, I really appreciate you clearing things up - I was leaning toward B1 with the IEMs I have just ordered off Jack but now that you say that I'm pretty sure I'll rather the G1; I do no critical listening whatsoever and I listen for extended periods of time as I work long hours, my hearing is a little sensitive. I also listen to a lot of rap and bass heavy metal/rock (Primus because Les Claypool is a god, Korn, etc.) and some EDM as well so I guess that'll fit my preferences the best. I also listen to a lot of female (and male) vocalist jazzy type stuff like Lera Lynn, Diana Krall, Sarah Blasko, Tom Waits, Leonand Cohen and the likes so hopefully the lesser mid emphasis doesn't hit me too hard!

Would you say my assessment is correct and I'll be making the correct choice? Jack kindly offered to try both modules out with my IEMs and report back prior to me making a final decision.

I think the G1 would be the right way to go, if not, I'm sure we can probably work something out.

And everybody else can count me in for the Mojo + Empire setup. I don't leave the house with my Mojo, even though I always have it's bigger brother in my bag.

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #3,895 of 40,577
  I think the G1 would be the right way to go, if not, I'm sure we can probably work something out.

Hey, I appreciate the validation! Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond, I'm very excited to try your ADEL tech out especially as I've never tried proper IEMs before this (as said my hearing is very sensitive so always figured they'd be a no go, plus regular ones felt uncomfortable) - the MAM must be super fun to tinker with too.

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #3,896 of 40,577

And everybody else can count me in for the Mojo + Empire setup. I don't leave the house with my Mojo, even though I always have it's bigger brother in my bag.

B1 seemed to be more for soundstage, clarity and treble sparkle if I recalled correctly while G1 is more about the bass and thickness.

Both have their strength and I wouldn't mind to own either one for the Supra ADEL as I am sure it'll do wonders.

Though I must say that I am quite tempted with the G1 even though I do have preference for soundstage for live performance immersion. Which the B1 will undoubtedly do better.

Also...it seems like Mojo has different responses depending on which input it's used...is that true?

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #3,898 of 40,577
  Can someone explain the difference between MAM and ADEL, and their effect on the sound?

The MAM is ADEL. They all involve a diaphragm to reduce pressure in the ear and open up the IEM to some degree. The MAM is just the adjustable version (Manual Adjustable Module). I think you can emulate the S1 and B1 modules with the MAM, and be even more closed than the S1, and whatever you want in between; apparently can't quite do what the G1 does but I'll find out myself when the MAMs I ordered the other day arrive. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #3,899 of 40,577

The MAM is ADEL. They all involve a diaphragm to reduce pressure in the ear and open up the IEM to some degree. The MAM is just the adjustable version (Manual Adjustable Module). I think you can emulate the S1 and B1 modules with the MAM, and be even more closed than the S1, and whatever you want in between; apparently can't quite do what the G1 does but I'll find out myself when the MAMs I ordered the other day arrive. 

Have you any experience with the B1 module? If so, how does it perform on  genres like male vocal, female vocal, folklore indie, metal and live performance?

Any advice would help. Thanks.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #3,900 of 40,577
  Have you any experience with the B1 module? If so, how does it perform on  genres like male vocal, female vocal, folklore indie, metal and live performance?

Any advice would help. Thanks.

No sorry, I've only got the S1 and G1 currently. B1 struck me as possibly lacking sub-bass for my taste; and I always intended to get the MAM which apparently can do very similarly if I choose. I would hazard a guess that the B1 may be slightly fuller with male vocals and smoother overall, while the G1 bass and a little extra lower treble bite may suit a live performance more; but I suspect the difference is less than the difference between either and the S1.

To be honest, I think the IEM remains the main factor by far. You've got more experience than me when it comes to Empire IEMs.

While I'm here - @Canyon Runner, the thing about not offering the S1 module alongside the Empire lineup is it removes the static module option for best isolation, and in particular outdoor usage with wind noise. Wondering if there are any plans for new, or even re-worked modules to cover that situation in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back