Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 4, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,856 of 40,613
  Well, admittedly I got the minor rumble of bass from Zeus R during the listen as it was paired with the Effect Audio ARES II Cable which gave a lift of bass on it. (From my memory it does sounded more neutral when I listened to it with a stock cable back then on my first experience with Empire Ears)

Also, the HUM Hypno has no bass boost, only gains. And it's done with low gain. And err no, the EQ is off all the time on X1 with line out on.

The Zeus-R sounded mildly boosted to my ears on the bass, probably due to the cable and that led me to the impression as I merely wrote what I got out of my ears that time.

So all in all, I apologize if I came off as misleading as I haven't stated that in my impression write up.

redface.gif

I shall be more thorough with my write up on the Zeus-R model eventually as I've spent a lot of time with it during my meet up with Kozato as I tried the ARTHUR along.

If you have the possibility, do you mind trying Zeus with Arthur's cable and comparing? Since that's the main difference between the two, besides Arthur's internal wiring.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #3,857 of 40,613
  If you have the possibility, do you mind trying Zeus with Arthur's cable and comparing? Since that's the main difference between the two, besides Arthur's internal wiring.

The EXCALIBUR?

Well, unfortunately I didn't try it that way since I enjoyed a bit too much on Zeus-R with PWAudio's 4-Wire 1960s cable that truly unlocked the potential of Zeus-R on all spectrum.

But if I got another time to audition the ARTHUR and Zeus-R again on December, I'll definitely take note of doing that and give a comparison.

L3000.gif

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #3,858 of 40,613
  The EXCALIBUR?

Well, unfortunately I didn't try it that way since I enjoyed a bit too much on Zeus-R with PWAudio's 4-Wire 1960s cable that truly unlocked the potential of Zeus-R on all spectrum.

But if I got another time to audition the ARTHUR and Zeus-R again on December, I'll definitely take note of doing that and give a comparison.

L3000.gif

Thanks man. I've heard great things about the PW Audio 1964, it's definitely on my wishlist!

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #3,859 of 40,613
  Thanks man. I've heard great things about the PW Audio 1964, it's definitely on my wishlist!

Should you desire, I can do a brief comparison between ARTHUR with EXCALIBUR vs Zeus-R with PWAudio 1960s

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #3,860 of 40,613
  Should you desire, I can do a brief comparison between ARTHUR with EXCALIBUR vs Zeus-R with PWAudio 1960s

Well sure man, you can do it for kicks but I'm primarily interested in Zeus-R vs Arthur with the Excalibur, as that is the defining difference between them. But of course, PW Audio vs Excalibur is also interesting. They are roughly similarly priced I believe right.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #3,861 of 40,613
I was thinking the Cerebus might be for me, but if it has less quantity of bass than K10 I am not interested. Definitely it does not sound like a basshead iem, I think your understanding of neutral might be bass-light.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #3,862 of 40,613
  I was thinking the Cerebus might be for me, but if it has less quantity of bass than K10 I am not interested. Definitely it does not sound like a basshead iem, I think your understanding of neutral might be bass-light.

I've certainly heard much more bassy IEMs than the Cerberus. But those usually shoots so far up in the price that it's almost unfair to compare against in a figurative way.

But I will say though that K10U (only heard the universal version) does have a looooot of bass.

And yes, my understanding to neutral might mean bass-light, which could be incorrect in terms of understanding.
  Well sure man, you can do it for kicks but I'm primarily interested in Zeus-R vs Arthur with the Excalibur, as that is the defining difference between them. But of course, PW Audio vs Excalibur is also interesting. They are roughly similarly priced I believe right.

Well, you'll have to wait till December since that's when Kozato is ready to visit Malaysia again with Empire Ears stuffs for auditioning.

Then I will try and be thorough with comparing them.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #3,863 of 40,613
  I've certainly heard much more bassy IEMs than the Cerberus. But those usually shoots so far up in the price that it's almost unfair to compare against in a figurative way.

But I will say though that K10U (only heard the universal version) does have a looooot of bass.

Yes, and I won't not say the K10UA has a lot of bass, but it does have a nice full bass response that is a bit elevated.

I am starting to get the impression I might find the EE house sound a little bass-light. Twister6 review of the Zeus in comparison to other iems I have heard kind of indicated that for me.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #3,864 of 40,613
  Yes, and I won't not say the K10UA has a lot of bass, but it does have a nice full bass response that is a bit elevated.

I am starting to get the impression I might find the EE house sound a little bass-light. Twister6 review of the Zeus in comparison to other iems I have heard kind of indicated that for me.

Well, as far as I know, Empire Ears' house sound bass is more about quality than quantity. Their greatest objective, as far as my ears can remember, are overall resolution. Which might explain why so many people love pairing the Empire IEMs with the Chord Mojo which has amazing resolution itself as a DAC.

So if you want full, meaty bass that has a lot of body, rumble and dynamism, the EE might not be what you're looking for.

Though to be fair, there's still the Savage series to look forward to.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #3,865 of 40,613

Well, in all fairness Zeus is not an indicator of their house sound across the entire line up
wink.gif
People have mentioned in this thread about Savage 5 and 9 which supposed to be bass heavy, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm certain there are some other EE models with a boosted low end.  But for sure man, Zeus is probably not for you
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #3,866 of 40,613

Well, in all fairness Zeus is not an indicator of their house sound across the entire line up
wink.gif
People have mentioned in this thread about Savage 5 and 9 which supposed to be bass heavy, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm certain there are some other EE models with a boosted low end.  But for sure man, Zeus is probably not for you
biggrin.gif

A Savage ADEL series seemed like a dream come true when paired with the G1 Modules which is supposedly bassy and fun.

basshead.gif

That's a looooooooooot of bass together~

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #3,867 of 40,613
I sent Jack an email and he confirmed that its something like this with ADEL and G1 pairing..

Correct me if I'm wrong on the "scores" I think below..

Zeus 14
Bass - 8 +1 (G1) -1 (ADEL) ==> 8
Mids - 10
Highs - 8 -1 (G1) ==> 7

Zeus R
Bass 8 + 1 (G1) -1 (ADEL) ==> 8
Mids 8 (you mention Zeus 14 has better mids)
Highs - 10 - 1 (G1) ==> 9

so with Zeus 14, you get awesome (10s) mids, higher than Zeus R, but low on the highs (7s compared to Zeus R 9s)
and with Zeus R you will get excellent (9 vs 7 for Zeus R) highs, but suffer a bit on the mids (8s compared to Zeus 14 10s)

but with Zeus XR, you can switch between both.. getting 10 mids, or 9 highs... either way...

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,868 of 40,613
Therefore, I think a Zeus R (8,8,9) is better than the Zeus 14 (8,10,7).. probably with an overall boost of some kind? (Maybe through better cable or ??) sorry I'm new to IEMs.. it will add +1 to each giving a score of (9,9,10).. near perfect??

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3,869 of 40,613
I sent Jack an email and he confirmed that its something like this with ADEL and G1 pairing..

Correct me if I'm wrong on the "scores" I think below..

Zeus 14
Bass - 8 +1 (G1) -1 (ADEL) ==> 8
Mids - 10
Highs - 8 -1 (G1) ==> 7

Zeus R
Bass 8 + 1 (G1) -1 (ADEL) ==> 8
Mids 8 (you mention Zeus 14 has better mids)
Highs - 10 - 1 (G1) ==> 9

so with Zeus 14, you get awesome (10s) mids, higher than Zeus R, but low on the highs (7s compared to Zeus R 9s)
and with Zeus R you will get excellent (9 vs 7 for Zeus R) highs, but suffer a bit on the mids (8s compared to Zeus 14 10s)

but with Zeus XR, you can switch between both.. getting 10 mids, or 9 highs... either way...

There are a total of 4 ADEL modules: S1, B1, G1 and MAM. EE has confirmed that they will not be including the S1 module as an option with their line of IEMs. But it can be purchased on Asius Technologies website if you wish. 

All the 4 modules I mentioned above are Adel modules, that includes the G1. I believe what you mentioned as ADEL in you post is actually the B1 module. I have no experience with the G1 module, but I hear it adds a slight boost to the bass and the treble. So by that rule, the treble on the Zeus models would experience a +1 instead of a -1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back