Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 4, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #3,871 of 40,591

There are a total of 4 ADEL modules: S1, B1, G1 and MAM. EE has confirmed that they will not be including the S1 module as an option with their line of IEMs. But it can be purchased on Asius Technologies website if you wish. 

All the 4 modules I mentioned above are Adel modules, that includes the G1. I believe what you mentioned as ADEL in you post is actually the B1 module. I have no experience with the G1 module, but I hear it adds a slight boost to the bass and the treble. So by that rule, the treble on the Zeus models would experience a +1 instead of a -1.

Jack mentioned that G1 has more emphasis on bass and less on treble in comparison with B1, which emphasizes mids and highs with slightly reduced bass, and MAM is more similar to G1.

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #3,873 of 40,591
It seems like the G1 adds back the bass that the ADEL takes away.. using the ADEL you get a +1 bass / -1 treble..

Yeah, it kind of makes for a confusing choice unless you get the XR, but I hesitate spending the extra money for it when I know I will end up picking one tuning and sticking with that.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to audition the two Zeus models with the different modules.  That will be ideal.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #3,875 of 40,591
  Jack mentioned that G1 has more emphasis on bass and less on treble in comparison with B1, which emphasizes mids and highs with slightly reduced bass, and MAM is more similar to G1.

This is incorrect. The G1 is actually the only module of the 3 fixed ones, that the MAM is kinda hard to replicate that exact sound signature. The MAM and B1 are easily the most similar, if we're just talking blanket statements.

It's always going to depend on the IEM of choice, but as a rough outline you can think of the modules like this:

S1: Adds a bit of mid-bass.

B1: Leans out the bottom end, this lets more focus be put on the mids and treble since there's less bass to compete with. Wider sound stage compared to the S1. I use the B1 for more critical listening, reference type stuff

G1: Bump in the sub-bass range, adds a bit of sparkle up top. Still wider than the S1. I keep the G1s in my IEMs because they're more fun, I like bass. Its ideal for EDM, some more bassy metal stuff, and rap (especially trap, I named it after Gucci Mane for this very reason)

The MAM (Manually Adjustable Module): Allows you to close off all the ambient ports if you want for the most isolation, or open them up, much like going from a closed back headphone to an open back, on the fly (plus everything in between, hence being able to achieve the sound of the B1 and the S1).

- When you have the MAMs fully closed, you're going to get the most bass response. (Like a closed back headphone)
- Adjusting the thumbscrews a bit forward from closed will open up the ambient ports, while not tensioning the membrane yet leaving the membrane in it's most floppy position. This floppy position absorbs ALOT of that bottom end, kinda like a net in a batting cage really. You can really drop the bass off signifcantly in this position.
- Continuing to roll forward, the basket attached to the thumbscrew will begin to tension the membrane within the module, now you can start to dial in the amount of bass you want back in your sound signature. 
- When the thumbscrew is fully screwed into the module, the basket is fully tensioned against the membrane and the ambient ports are still open. This setting allows you to regain nearly as much bass as when the MAM is closed, only with a super wide soundstage and airy presentation. (Like an open back headphone)

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,876 of 40,591
Therefore, I think a Zeus R (8,8,9) is better than the Zeus 14 (8,10,7).. probably with an overall boost of some kind? (Maybe through better cable or ??) sorry I'm new to IEMs.. it will add +1 to each giving a score of (9,9,10).. near perfect??

With the XR... As I've experienced... The lows and highs of Zeus XIV are simply not as pronounced due to the lifted mids that take up 60% of the attention. The R.. While more resolving with a more tamed midrange and perhaps ever extended top end... Gets more attention for the highs...

Remember its also about what you notice... The XIV does not sacrifice highs.... It just feeds you mid-range that make the highs just slightly quieter

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #3,877 of 40,591
the best pair of IEMs that compliment each other, for me would be the Supra ADEL with G1 module and Noble Savant :D

One side is strong but still neutral, well controlled bass and the other side is silky smooth treble

Anyway, I will be writing about the Spartan IV soon. But not sure how long it'll take me to finish up.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #3,878 of 40,591
With the XR... As I've experienced... The lows and highs of Zeus XIV are simply not as pronounced due to the lifted mids that take up 60% of the attention. The R.. While more resolving with a more tamed midrange and perhaps ever extended top end... Gets more attention for the highs...

Remember its also about what you notice... The XIV does not sacrifice highs.... It just feeds you mid-range that make the highs just slightly quieter

I'd ask you to please do use a tone generator, say http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html, set for constant treble Hz, and use your physical faceplate XR switch and  report back on this statement

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #3,879 of 40,591
  S1: Adds a bit of mid-bass.

B1: Leans out the bottom end, this lets more focus be put on the mids and treble since there's less bass to compete with. Wider sound stage compared to the S1. I use the B1 for more critical listening, reference type stuff

G1: Bump in the sub-bass range, adds a bit of sparkle up top. Still wider than the S1. I keep the G1s in my IEMs because they're more fun, I like bass. Its ideal for EDM, some more bassy metal stuff, and rap (especially trap, I named it after Gucci Mane for this very reason)

This was incredibly helpful, I really appreciate you clearing things up - I was leaning toward B1 with the IEMs I have just ordered off Jack but now that you say that I'm pretty sure I'll rather the G1; I do no critical listening whatsoever and I listen for extended periods of time as I work long hours, my hearing is a little sensitive. I also listen to a lot of rap and bass heavy metal/rock (Primus because Les Claypool is a god, Korn, etc.) and some EDM as well so I guess that'll fit my preferences the best. I also listen to a lot of female (and male) vocalist jazzy type stuff like Lera Lynn, Diana Krall, Sarah Blasko, Tom Waits, Leonand Cohen and the likes so hopefully the lesser mid emphasis doesn't hit me too hard!

Would you say my assessment is correct and I'll be making the correct choice? Jack kindly offered to try both modules out with my IEMs and report back prior to me making a final decision.

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #3,881 of 40,591
Looking forward to hearing your views on the Athena.

definitely gonna share my impressions here but let's get them first , i am always super extra stressful when i am waiting a package from the other side of the world to arrive 
tongue.gif

the 'my package got lost/stolen' is probably in my top-3 of small fears (not counting death etc)

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #3,882 of 40,591
I heard B1 is more for male vocals, and G1 helps more for female vocals..

A slight correction to what you heard, B1 is better for male performers from Western Hemisphere born between late August and early December on the last Friday of the month.  While, G1 helps a lot female vocals recorded on the first Monday of every month between the hours of 2pm and 4pm.
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #3,884 of 40,591
Yeah, it kind of makes for a confusing choice unless you get the XR, but I hesitate spending the extra money for it when I know I will end up picking one tuning and sticking with that.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to audition the two Zeus models with the different modules.  That will be ideal.

From my experience, no you won't settle on one. They're both amazing and can compliment different things. For anything more "modern" the R stays uncongested and clear. But in things more acoustic the 14 is amazing. I was listening to some Norah jones the other day. In the R position it was an amazing sounding album. I'm guessing it sounded much like they heard in the mixing room when recording it. When I switched to the 14, it was like I was in the room with her and the band. Amazing. But on some things, IMO the 14 gets a bit congested in the mids. And it's amazing how it still sounds great. But the R sounds better.

And to the suggestion of using a test tone and switching back and forth. That would prove difficult as there is a volume difference between them. Not a huge one, and I don't remember which is louder, maybe the 14, but it's enough you can't just switch back and forth to test like that.

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #3,885 of 40,591
A slight correction to what you heard, B1 is better for male performers from Western Hemisphere born between late August and early December on the last Friday of the month.  While, G1 helps a lot female vocals recorded on the first Monday of every month between the hours of 2pm and 4pm.
:beerchug:

THIS!!! :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back