Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 2, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #3,826 of 40,560
Anyone with a XR Zeus have a picture they can share?  I'd like to see what the XR switch looks like.  

Thanks,

I just need to write a good conclusion to the review and I'll be done with ti, been very busy in the past few weeks, it's a great iem and clearly shows what tuning can achieve and how different signatures really are appropriate for certain tracks (and of course genres). But it's no compromise iem, you get the best, no sibilance (unless on the track) , the highs are plenty extended, lots of snakes, bass is articulate.. Not too much quantity, decent slam. On either switch.

Hiss... Yes... They show your sources hiss. So if you got a noisy source it will show it. It comes with the ability to produce fine resolution, don't look at it as a trade off... Just look at it as you need a finer source. Mojo is decent, still with hiss but offer amazing PRaT, and never for a peaky sound. There are other sources that do not produce hiss.

Iematch was a failure for me, slamming resolution and fine details while offering no hiss. But that makes your 2k$ iems sound like 500$ iems.... So, while iematch works better with darker things like 64 ears... Not so much with Zeus XR, combined with mojo/x5/x7/note 5/idsd Micro..... Anyways.... They are top notch...they don't leave you missing out with anything, if you enjoy lifted booms and explosions these won't feed you exaggerated bass. While you get very good texture and definition, you don't get boomy quantity, k10 for example has bigger bass presence.... But... Mud

Don't forget... Buying something from Empire Ears also buys into their stellar customer service and professional help you get along the way. It should be the Gold Standard in customer service. I've never felt so special being a client anywhere, the team, and specifically Jack are exceptional folks.

See and hear for yourself

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #3,827 of 40,560

I just need to write a good conclusion to the review and I'll be done with ti, been very busy in the past few weeks, it's a great iem and clearly shows what tuning can achieve and how different signatures really are appropriate for certain tracks (and of course genres). But it's no compromise iem, you get the best, no sibilance (unless on the track) , the highs are plenty extended, lots of snakes, bass is articulate.. Not too much quantity, decent slam. On either switch.

Hiss... Yes... They show your sources hiss. So if you got a noisy source it will show it. It comes with the ability to produce fine resolution, don't look at it as a trade off... Just look at it as you need a finer source. Mojo is decent, still with hiss but offer amazing PRaT, and never for a peaky sound. There are other sources that do not produce hiss.

Iematch was a failure for me, slamming resolution and fine details while offering no hiss. But that makes your 2k$ iems sound like 500$ iems.... So, while iematch works better with darker things like 64 ears... Not so much with Zeus XR, combined with mojo/x5/x7/note 5/idsd Micro..... Anyways.... They are top notch...they don't leave you missing out with anything, if you enjoy lifted booms and explosions these won't feed you exaggerated bass. While you get very good texture and definition, you don't get boomy quantity, k10 for example has bigger bass presence.... But... Mud

Don't forget... Buying something from Empire Ears also buys into their stellar customer service and professional help you get along the way. It should be the Gold Standard in customer service. I've never felt so special being a client anywhere, the team, and specifically Jack are exceptional folks.

See and hear for yourself

Really digging that color shell.

Also, what player did you hook up on your Mojo?

Just curious.

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #3,829 of 40,560
Note 5, moto g1, ibasso dx80, dx90, fiio x5.

Best was by note 5

So feeding different sources to Mojo yields different results?

I am curious.

Also...I was thinking of building a compact triple stack in preparation for pulling my trigger on Supra II ADEL this December.

Here's what I planned so far.

Source Placeholder: Fiio X3 II
Coaxial Cable: DIY
DAC: Chord Mojo
Interconnect: Quartette-ONE Furutech Ver. Interconnect
Amplifier: ALO RX Nickel or ALO Continental V5 depending on my patience.

Thoughts? 
etysmile.gif

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #3,830 of 40,560
So feeding different sources to Mojo yields different results?

I am curious.

Also...I was thinking of building a compact triple stack in preparation for pulling my trigger on Supra II ADEL this December.

Here's what I planned so far.

Source Placeholder: Fiio X3 II
Coaxial Cable: DIY
DAC: Chord Mojo
Interconnect: Quartette-ONE Furutech Ver. Interconnect
Amplifier: ALO RX Nickel or ALO Continental V5 depending on my patience.

Thoughts? :etysmile:  

Busy at the moment I promise to reply in about 3 hrs, in short yes it does dependin if you feed coax/optica/digital

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,832 of 40,560
Alright. I'll wait then xP

Just got some time, I have a penonaudio.com l shaped micro usb to micro usb OTG cable at 30$ to connect things to my mojo. I find it to have no sonic difference vs 8$ cable of 6 in and a 12 dollar cable of 3 ft basic from Amazon. Now..... To mojo... When I feed it the same file via coax/optical/USB in.... It differs, mildly in quality, I like usb to be the best and cleanest signal. Optical would be second and coax last. Now... It gets weird ( explained lot better in my review) (((coming up)))

My note 5 puts out a nicer cleaner signal via USB OTG vs my laptop, vs my moto g1. It also is superior by far(I would say 2 percent... At this level of things minor differences are big thibgs) mostly in slam and separation of layers....

It is ofcourse my preference, I like to go for clean, resolution, clarity, detail, separation in my first and foremost qualities of sound. Coax offered a more congested sound.... Please keep in mind... These differences are very mild, but audiable while in critical listening. Sibilance (when on tracks) was more prevalent on usb OTG in vs coax/optical) as usb in provides the cleanest purest sound. (When fed in Bitperfect.... BiTPERFECT) very very important... Android upsamples which distorts in my opinion.

Computer feeding ibasso dx80 (as dac) felt worse out of all of thr variations.,, ibasso dx80 while flawed and lacking resolution when used with Zeus, does have coax and optical out of the same output *exit*.... But boy.... U missing out with thay dx80. I preferred dx90 again... For that lovely clean sound. Mojo was good.. Dsd micro was good... Slight dry but good. Mojo is king so far... I'm sure desktop amps are significantly better

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #3,833 of 40,560
Alright. I'll wait then xP

To actually answer you... If you really must go 3stack.... Keep the Mojo as dac... Bypass with another amp (totally not necessary unless your hunting a certain sound)... But whatever you do, if you want pure clean sound get a smartphone and Feed mojo bitperfect... Must be bitperfect.... Please.... Just remember..... Bitperfect!.... For best sonic quality... Now be aware what this 3stack amp has... As I found mojo to be nice with little noise floor. But if you find better let me know.

Be aware... The differences are mild, but to me, at this Lvl of my hunt... They are surely and easily audible and major.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #3,834 of 40,560
To actually answer you... If you really must go 3stack.... Keep the Mojo as dac... Bypass with another amp (totally not necessary unless your hunting a certain sound)... But whatever you do, if you want pure clean sound get a smartphone and Feed mojo bitperfect... Must be bitperfect.... Please.... Just remember..... Bitperfect!.... For best sonic quality... Now be aware what this 3stack amp has... As I found mojo to be nice with little noise floor. But if you find better let me know.

Be aware... The differences are mild, but to me, at this Lvl of my hunt... They are surely and easily audible and major.

Thank you very much for your share, friend. :D

Frankly I am not sure what BitPerfect is because I don't normally use smartphones to listen to my music.

Though I suppose my Xiaomi 3 could use some of that music.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #3,835 of 40,560
Thank you very much for your share, friend. :D

Frankly I am not sure what BitPerfect is because I don't normally use smartphones to listen to my music.

Though I suppose my Xiaomi 3 could use some of that music.

Bitperfect is how you can feed mojo or other USB dacs unsampled signal. To get true clean signal, in Android an app like UAPP allows for you to feed mojo (or other dacs) bitperfect...... Because a Zeus deserves nothing else

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #3,836 of 40,560
Bitperfect is how you can feed mojo or other USB dacs unsampled signal. To get true clean signal, in Android an app like UAPP allows for you to feed mojo (or other dacs) bitperfect...... Because a Zeus deserves nothing else

So basically I just download BitPerfect and use it to play music on my smartphone while hook it up Mojo or other DACs?

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #3,837 of 40,560
So basically I just download BitPerfect and use it to play music on my smartphone while hook it up Mojo or other DACs?

You download *UAPP* and in the settings you choose usb out.... And bitperfect.... Bitperfect is a setting, not an app.. The app is UAPP in Google. Play Store.

Then you connect your phone to mojo or other dacs via a micro usb to micro usb OTG cable, and play music through UAPP with the bitperfect setting turned on

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #3,838 of 40,560
You download *UAPP* and in the settings you choose usb out.... And bitperfect.... Bitperfect is a setting, not an app.. The app is UAPP in Google. Play Store.

Then you connect your phone to mojo or other dacs via a micro usb to micro usb OTG cable, and play music through UAPP with the bitperfect setting turned on

Alright. Thanks for the info.

Maybe one day I'll try play it via my smartphone.

In a meantime though I am very much intrigued on the simplicity of a combo in between Fiio X3 II and ALO RX. Almost same size yet very pocket friendly still.

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #3,839 of 40,560
Alright. Thanks for the info.

Maybe one day I'll try play it via my smartphone.

In a meantime though I am very much intrigued on the simplicity of a combo in between Fiio X3 II and ALO RX. Almost same size yet very pocket friendly still.

Portability is very important on the go, expecially pocket friendly, Zeus is absolutely stunning over many full size headphones out there, offering far better detail retrieval and resolution than most HPs... So for it to be also portable is a killer, end game package

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #3,840 of 40,560
Portability is very important on the go, expecially pocket friendly, Zeus is absolutely stunning over many full size headphones out there, offering far better detail retrieval and resolution than most HPs... So for it to be also portable is a killer, end game package

Of course, not that I own either the X3 of RX, but it will surely be my to-go setup.

In a meantime, X1 + E12A with a great interconnect is all I got, but it's good enough.

And I am pretty damn sure if I got my Supra ADEL, it'll be a whole new world of difference compared to my XB50AP which I am looking to ditch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back