Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,188 of 40,671
Jan 30, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #1,189 of 40,671
Thanks again for turning me onto yet another DAP @Mython.

You're like a monkey on my back today 
wink_face.gif

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,190 of 40,671
Hey everyone. Just wanted to drop in real quick to let everyone know that i've been extremely ill. I've apparently caught the "NAMM" flu. When you're shaking hands and exchanging currency with numerous people from several different countries you're bound to being exposed to foreign viruses. For the time being if you have any questions at all about your orders please contact Jimmy at Jimmy@EmpireEars.com. For product inquiries please contact Doron@Empireears.com. Sorry for any inconveniences. 

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #1,191 of 40,671
I wish you a quick recovery Jack!

Hey everyone. Just wanted to drop in real quick to let everyone know that i've been extremely ill. I've apparently caught the "NAMM" flu. When you're shaking hands and exchanging currency with numerous people from several different countries you're bound to being exposed to foreign viruses. For the time being if you have any questions at all about your orders please contact Jimmy at Jimmy@EmpireEars.com. For product inquiries please contact Doron@Empireears.com. Sorry for any inconveniences. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #1,194 of 40,671
Received my custom Zeus last week. Been listening to them sporadicly this weekend, more so these past few days.

I really like them. Feel neutralish with slightly boosted bass, perfect for me. I was worried that, living in Sweden, if the fit wasn't good I'd have to send them back and wait some more but they fit perfectly and seal very good.

With regards to source: I've been using them with a Mojo and also Aune B1.

Just the Mojo:
I can hear a very faint hiss when no music is playing, so it's there but it doesn't bother me, once I play music I cannot hear it. I feel this is a very good combo and being portable it's perfect for when I need to travel.

Mojo + Aune B1 2015:
The good news is that the hiss is gone, cannot hear it any longer. But I don't like the combo - Aune B1 is a bit warm and I feel that this combo is just too warm, I'm missing details in the highs... thats the best I can describe it. Now the B1 isn't the new version that has a lower gain and made to suit IEMs so I cannot say if that one will make things different. From what I've heard, the sound signature of the old and new B1 is the same, only the gain has changed, so I don't think upgrading B1 will change my mind.

Good work Jack & the Empire Ears gang!

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,195 of 40,671
Henke: If it's the original B1, I didn't find it overly warm on its own but it does have 10 Ohm output impedance. When I tested Zeus with Soundaware Esther Analog DAP which is very warm (much, much warmer than B1) and also has 10 Ohm output impedance, I had the same results as you did - immediately noticeable and drastic reduction in the highs. Personally, I think it's the high output impedance. Stick with low output impedance sources like Mojo, and you'll get that good, honest Zeus sound!

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,196 of 40,671
@Henke: If it's the original B1, I didn't find it overly warm on its own but it does have 10 Ohm output impedance. When I tested Zeus with Soundaware Esther Analog DAP which is very warm (much, much warmer than B1) and also has 10 Ohm output impedance, I had the same results as you did - immediately noticeable and drastic reduction in the highs. Personally, I think it's the high output impedance. Stick with low output impedance sources like Mojo, and you'll get that good, honest Zeus sound!

Yeah, that sounds more like it, I agree that the B1 didn't feel warm with my HE-500 so it was weird but haven't experienced how impedance impact sound. I haven't had the pleasure of listening to a lot of gear so I lack experience... very clealy I do :wink:.

Thanks for the input, and yeah, I'm skipping the B1 for my Zeus: I find the Mojo is doing a mighty fine job.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,197 of 40,671
Somewhat OT, but what the heck...

BTW, Aune B1 rocks as a portable amp for dynamics and planars. I use mine for my HE400. Like you said it doesn't sound warm there. I just throw it in High Gain + Class A mode, and it sounds great!

As an aside, some of us IEM guys who reviewed the B1 complained about lack of IEM friendliness - high output impedance and overly aggressive low gain setting. Happily, Aune responded very quickly by releasing an updated version with lower output impedance. It's still a bit high at 3 Ohms, but it's a lot better than 10 Ohms. And the Low Gain setting is less aggressive, giving you more play on the volume potentiometer with sensitive IEM. You can tell you've got the new one because it's got a volume indicator dot in the volume knob. If there isn't a dot, you've got the old one.
:beerchug:

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,200 of 40,671

All the best, bro! Get well soon. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back