Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 12, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #14,686 of 40,591
How do you find the Encore compares with the Spartan Pinky? The Noble universal form factor looks fantastic but also quite large and I wonder how comfortable they are.

From my review:

Right off I must compare this to Noble Audio Kaiser Encore ($1,850). And goddamn it is a righteous battle. These two share mostly the same signature. They’re both very neutral, with an elegant balance of warmth and lots and lots of air. I hear Encore as having the denser, more tangible sound, though. Spartan is kind of thin and ethereal.

Encore’s treble is the major deviation. It’s a little more prominent, lacking some of that warmth Spartan uses to sound easy and natural. Encore has a bit more energy in those highs. It’s also thinner, and cooler. There’s a brightness which Spartan shies away from, and it does aid in Encore’s detail retrieval. I would not call Encore harsh, but I could see some feeling it is, especially if you’re used to a more relaxed, warm treble. All in all, I’d call Spartan’s upper frequencies as having a more natural timbre.

Encore and Spartan possess large, vivid vocals, rendered naked, with every detail and texture highlighted. They both achieve a marvelous transparency which is nigh unto the best in the industry. Encore, however, is indeed clearer by a small margin. It’s just that extra inch more resolving, exposing those details just a little better. Note weight seems about the same, though Spartan has an ounce more warmth. While Encore is clearer, I think Spartan is just as transparent. I’m not sure how far you can separate clarity and transparency, as they seem tied closely together, but I hear them as two different qualities, and somehow Spartan matches (or nearly does) Encore’s amazing transparency. Let me assure you, that is high praise.

Bass is one of Encore’s more peculiar aspects. Like with Spartan, it’s measured for neutrality. Yet Encore has less mid-bass, and thus overall warmth is reduced. Spartan sounds a tad fuller down below, its lows adding natural warmth to the mids and highs. Encore’s bass is exquisitely nimble, and even more textured than Spartan. It has great depth, and good, controlled impact. Yet Spartan rumbles in a more satisfying manner, and may even reach deeper.

As I said, Spartan’s soundstage is impressive, but Encore is bigger. Wider, for sure, but maybe not as tall, and I do think Spartan portrays depth in a more 3D fashion. Encore bests Spartan in resolution, hands down. The image is so sharp and realistic you know exactly where each string on the guitar is, like you can reach out and pluck them yourself. Encore’s separation is just a bit higher, thanks to its sharper, more resolved stage.

Spartan gets you about 90% of the way to Encore’s performance, and for much less gold. And it does some things I like better, such as treble tone and bass quantity. Still, it’s clear Encore is TOTL in this profile. But hot damn, Spartan puts up one hell of a fight.

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #14,687 of 40,591
How do you find the Encore compares with the Spartan Pinky? The Noble universal form factor looks fantastic but also quite large and I wonder how comfortable they are.

Encore universal looks big on photos but it’s actually quite small. And they are quite comfortable to me.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #14,688 of 40,591
The Phantom - to me - should never be the go-to IEM for sheer detail retrieval (especially when paired with its stock 4-wire cable). The Phantom's main defining trait is the tonal balance it maintains throughout its frequency response; a linear flow from bass to treble that keeps everything in perfect balance. I'd call the N8 and the A12t neutral in tone rather than natural, because of peaks in the lower- and upper-treble. They definitely have pleasing, musical and fun signatures (the N8 more so than the A12t), so they would fit the criteria of detailed with good sound. But, in my opinion, they are certainly more coloured than the Phantom are; especially in their brighter upper-midranges and sub-bass-focused low-ends. :)

hello. Thank you for reply even when you are busy. I am also waiting to see the A6T comparison. I also say thank for confirming my thinking that the Phantom is not good for detail retrival. I agree that that the Phantom is not so coloured. But I agree with @crinacle that because it is so unclear “Muddy”? That the signature was hard to appreciate because I could not hear any detail.
But I also want to ask you about the cable. I decided to get the N8, and the shop also made me my ear impression for the custom. But I want to use a cable that is feel more weightless and comfortable when wearing. The shop let me try the Effect Horus and it was very weightless. But the cable is not cheap, but I do like how it feels. Is the Horus a good cable to change from stock cable?

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #14,689 of 40,591
If you don’t wanna feel the cable at all can try Linum cables

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #14,690 of 40,591
hello. Thank you for reply even when you are busy. I am also waiting to see the A6T comparison. I also say thank for confirming my thinking that the Phantom is not good for detail retrival. I agree that that the Phantom is not so coloured. But I agree with @crinacle that because it is so unclear “Muddy”? That the signature was hard to appreciate because I could not hear any detail.
But I also want to ask you about the cable. I decided to get the N8, and the shop also made me my ear impression for the custom. But I want to use a cable that is feel more weightless and comfortable when wearing. The shop let me try the Effect Horus and it was very weightless. But the cable is not cheap, but I do like how it feels. Is the Horus a good cable to change from stock cable?

If you like the ergonomics of the Horus, you can try any number of Effect Audio's other cables. The Ares II, Thor II, Eros II, Leonidas and Lionheart all use the same insulation that the Horus does. Alternatively, I love the N8 paired with the PWAudio Saladin, which is just as ergonomic as those other cables are. I'm sure you can demo them at your store to see which bring about the sound changes you're after.

If you don’t wanna feel the cable at all can try Linum cables

If you can get past its springy and easily-tangled nature; that is. :wink:

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #14,691 of 40,591
Thanks Pinky, doesn't sound like Encore is for me as I'd like something with deeper sub-bass than the Spartans for my next IEM. The Phantom may not be ideal either since detail retrieval is one of my highest priorities, nor something from the X series as I'm wary of the extra fatigue in long listening sessions DD drivers may cause, along with cohesion/speed issues with BAs. I'll keep looking.

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #14,694 of 40,591
If you like the ergonomics of the Horus, you can try any number of Effect Audio's other cables. The Ares II, Thor II, Eros II, Leonidas and Lionheart all use the same insulation that the Horus does. Alternatively, I love the N8 paired with the PWAudio Saladin, which is just as ergonomic as those other cables are. I'm sure you can demo them at your store to see which bring about the sound changes you're after.

If you can get past its springy and easily-tangled nature; that is. :wink:
Actually if you just hold one end of the cable and drop it onto the table, it coils by now itself

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #14,695 of 40,591
Actually if you just hold one end of the cable and drop it onto the table, it coils by now itself

Well yes, but that quality is disturbingly apparent during listening. The cable retains memory to the point of forming spring-like loops at all times. This has resulted in it getting caught on things, etc. Though, this is specifically referring to the 2-wire Bax. The 4-wire SuperBax is much stronger ergonomically.

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #14,696 of 40,591
LOL I see @Deezel177 took the diplomatic approach here :wink:

Hahahaha! A scene from a British tv series (Blackadder; historical comedy) just popped into my head after reading that.
It's where the King (played by the legendary Brian Blessed) has just returned from one of the crusades:

Harry: We're all terribly pleased you're back, Father.

King: I'm not. I miss the smell of blood in my nostrils, and the Queen's "got a headache".

Harry: Oh dear. But we do have a fascinating week ahead. The Archbishop of York has asked me if you'd care to join his formation Italian dance class, and I ought to give him an answer.

King: Do you want me to be honest or tactful?

Harry: Er, tactful, I think.

King: Tell him to get stuffed! :D

Thankfully, @Deezel177 has a somewhat more refined sense of tact.. :p

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #14,697 of 40,591
Well yes, but that quality is disturbingly apparent during listening. The cable retains memory to the point of forming spring-like loops at all times. This has resulted in it getting caught on things, etc. Though, this is specifically referring to the 2-wire Bax. The 4-wire SuperBax is much stronger ergonomically.
Ahhh that explains. I thought the superbax actually have good ergonomics. Only minus point is that its way too light, can’t do the hang your iem on your ear without it dropping move

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #14,698 of 40,591
Ahhh that explains. I thought the superbax actually have good ergonomics. Only minus point is that its way too light, can’t do the hang your iem on your ear without it dropping move
Yeah well, that might (please make a vid and show/teach us that move) be so. But with the regular Linum BaX you can also floss your teeth, which makes it 'bang for buck' imo :grin:

Btw, yesterday I received a (used, but mint condition) EA x MS Eos cable, which I picked up from the classifieds.
I put it on the Phantom and I must say that I really like the (synergy) combination so far. It gives a cleaner (less warm) sound, better resolution and more impressive soundstage compared to the Ares II.
The 8 wire Ares II seems the even better way (synergy wise) to go though, so I'll keep hunting.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #14,700 of 40,591
2 days ago my Ares II 8 wire (PSquared 2,5 mm plug) arrived. Holy mother.....what a pairing @ Hugo2 !
The listening session today was like a multiple orgasm for my ears…..better said an eargasm or a multiple-3 hour-sweet spot.

The first difference I noticed was the stronger, deeper but also tighter and awsome controlled bass. I always said the Phantom isn’t the best for electronic. Better for classical and instrumental music….but no, hell no! Not true. The Phantom sounds incredible when it comes to bass heavy full breakbeats and dub step beats….or progressive house/techno. Everything sounds booombastic :D ….not as fat and thunderous like the LX (I love it ! Don’t get me wrong !), but more elegant and natural. The bass is definitely there with all its power. The Ares II 8 wire is definitely the best pairing for my linking so far (I tried the Leonidas, Lionheart, Thor Silver II 8 wire and yesterday the standard Ares II).

Phantom_Ares_II8wire_3a.jpg

Yesterday the ibasso Amp8 arrived. Now burning in. Can’t wait to plug the Phantom with the Ares II 8 wire in ….but step by step.

For Phantom/Ares II 8 wire owners who love electronic music just try the following tracks out…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back