Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 25, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #14,356 of 40,593
Did you ever try the Sensaphonics? I had a pair for my Shure 846 and they worked very well. Would you mind posting a photo of yours with the Legend inserted so we can see sizing? Thanks.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #14,357 of 40,593
Did you ever try the Sensaphonics? I had a pair for my Shure 846 and they worked very well. Would you mind posting a photo of yours with the Legend inserted so we can see sizing? Thanks.
Sure man! One thing to keep in mind is I have really large ear holes so they look larger than they would for most.
20180625_213613~2.jpg 20180625_213559~2.jpg 20180625_213509~2.jpg

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #14,360 of 40,593
Hi all, finally looking to get a set of custom IEMs again now that it is more financially viable for me (my earwerkz supras were stolen a few years back and have missed them so much, especially since universals have always been too big for my ears). As such, I am looking to get people's thoughts on the new Empire Ears product line and what might be best for my taste.

I listen to a good variety of genres, so I am looking for something that is an all-arounder and forgiving to tracks and sources that might not be A1 (there will be times where these will be powered by a phone using a music streaming service). I remember enjoying the sound of the supras when I had them, and since then I have spent alot of time listening to my Fostex TH-X00 (mahogony) over-ears, which I am also very happy with. I like the overall signature of the Fostex, with the weight and extension of the bass being something I keep coming back too (adds an extra dimension to alot of music IMO). At times however, I do find the bass on the Fostex to be a bit much, as it overpowers other elements of the track (Stevie Wonder's "Living for the City" comes to mind as an example here). The impact of the Fostex's bass can also at times be distractingly good (something I am mildly concerned about when reading about the X-series W9s...I need to be able to get work done with these IEMs in haha).

My main questions to anyone who has experience with the new lineup (and/or the other headphones I have listened to):

1. What are the differences in the sound charateristics in the X-series? I have heard good things about the bravado and the Legend X, but haven't seen too much on the vantage and nemesis.

2. How does the X-series line up against the Phantom (the most interesting of the EP series to me)

3. How does the new line-up compare to the old Supra (and/or, the Fostex TH-X00, for anyone who has experience with them).

4. What are the strengths of the more expensive models, over the more affordable (i.e., bravado and spartan) ones?

1) For the differences between each model in the X line-up, you can refer to my THL article here: http://theheadphonelist.com/empire-ears-ep-x-launch-event-euphoria-audio-a-new-era/3/

2) The X line-up have an inherent signature that differs quite clearly from the Phantom. The hybrids have a more sub-bass oriented low-end with a focus on rumble, texture and physicality. The Phantom's bass extends just as much; palpably physical and visceral even though it isn't as accentuated. But, the WIX drivers obviously have a physicality and guttural-ness that the Phantom can't attain due to the different technologies. The Phantom's bass is warmer and more natural in tone, while the hybrids have a low-end that's more fun and exciting. The X IEMs have generally leaner midranges, due to subdued lower-midrange and a more present upper-treble. This means notes come across more clearly and contrast better against the background. However, the Phantom is significantly more resolving, complete and natural here; portraying notes as solid bodies full of texture and gossamer detail. The Phantom's warmer tonal balance simply makes those details less readily apparent. The X line-up have peaks in the upper-treble for easier detail perception as well as a greater sense of air, while the Phantom remains linear. As a result, the Phantom sounds more laid-back and less thrilling. But, the Phantom is more natural in tone; truer to the recording in my experience. Thankfully, the Phantom nails extension, creating a stable, layered and well-resolved stage at all times.

3) With the new line-up, you'll experience superior extension and linearity compared to the Supra. Notes will come across as better resolved, more complete and more precisely rendered inside a stable stage. The low-end in particular is more solidly founded in all these models. I heard the TH-X00 a year or two ago and based on memory, the Bravado may be the most like it in tone.

4) Again, with the pricier units, you'll experience greater technical performance. The Legend X - for example - has a balance that somewhat resembles the Bravado (though I think the Bravado has more treble energy), but the former is completely and utterly superior in stage width, stage depth, stability, background blackness, note resolution, decay, etc. Aside from the discrepancies in tone and signature, a more realistic and immersive listening experience by way of increased technical performance is what you get when you pay for the pricier units.

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #14,361 of 40,593
Sure man! One thing to keep in mind is I have really large ear holes so they look larger than they would for most.

can you post a pic wearing them , see how comfy they are

is the fit like wearing a custom ? they sure look kinda ugly compared to a custom but if the fit is seamless it's fine

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #14,362 of 40,593
Thanks for the kind words! The Legend X is VERY much my preferred sound signature and has been my go to for daily activities and listening. Out of the box they bump pretty hard in the lower region but after about 100 hours or so the W9 dynamic drivers settle down a bit and become more resolving. I switch between the LX and the ESR depending on my mood and what they're being used for.

To follow up on what @Devon Higgins said the ESR & Bravado tour is officially up! This will be one of many tours and we'll definitely be extending it globally based upon interest in your region. Devon btw is the latest addition to the Empire fam and will be replacing Ethan Groover as our go-to customer service representative for Head-Fi members so please do not hesitate to ping her for anything you all might need. I apologize sincerely for the lack of responses that you may have received from Ethan but I assure you all the Devon is rock solid and i'm confident that she'll represent us well. If you have any inquiries that have not been answered from Ethan please forward it to Devon via PM or e-mail (and CC me) ASAP for immediate assistance.

For emergencies, immediate assistance, & weekend replies (or even just to say hi) i'm still available personally and my new contact information is as follows:

Email: Jack@EmpireEars.com
Text: 678-478-3915
Office: 770-945-0065 EXT 1002
WeChat: J_Vang
WhatsApp: 678-478-3915
Line: 678-478-3915

For all international texters, don't forget to add +1.

Moving on to the Phantom affair with @flinkenick from a while back. What happened was especially difficult for me personally, since I have had what I consider a long and outstanding relationship with Nic. I think all of us - including Nic – truly regret how things went down, especially after such a successful cooperation during the development of the new lineup. We not only appreciated Nic’s good ear, but his honest and straightforward approach with us. It is our position Nic played an essential role in the feedback process of the Phantom, and in determining whether the end product would be suitable for the high-end audio enthusiast market. In the end, we realize that recognition for the Phantom itself was not the issue, but that an employee’s response to a reviewer’s social media post could have been more tactfully placed, regardless of the content. We hope to work with him in the future, and continue to bring you all the best you have come to associate with Empire Ears.

What a wholesome post :)

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #14,364 of 40,593
Ares ll 8-wire is a wonderful upgrade at the top of your price range. I never used an Ares, on the ll, but the bespoke cable is wonderful.
I asked EA.
But I continued reading reviews ( on devil's invitation...), and now I'm also wondering how the Leonidas would pair with the Zeus... Worth the big extra money, above my price range? Would I loose warmth and musicality as it's not - as recommended with Zeus - copper ?
Same question about Lionheart...
Another cable in between ?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #14,365 of 40,593
Unfortunately, with the Legend X slick, sleek nozzle the the tips stay in my ear. The sound is awesome but I find myself pulling the tips put of my ears. It is not the same as pulling a regular eartip out of your ear because obviously the custom isn't going to get pushed further down inside you ear. It does cause the IEM to not sit as flush inside my ear(they stick out more) but that is to be expected.

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #14,366 of 40,593
Thanks for the kind words! The Legend X is VERY much my preferred sound signature and has been my go to for daily activities and listening. Out of the box they bump pretty hard in the lower region but after about 100 hours or so the W9 dynamic drivers settle down a bit and become more resolving. I switch between the LX and the ESR depending on my mood and what they're being used for.

To follow up on what @Devon Higgins said the ESR & Bravado tour is officially up! This will be one of many tours and we'll definitely be extending it globally based upon interest in your region. Devon btw is the latest addition to the Empire fam and will be replacing Ethan Groover as our go-to customer service representative for Head-Fi members so please do not hesitate to ping her for anything you all might need. I apologize sincerely for the lack of responses that you may have received from Ethan but I assure you all the Devon is rock solid and i'm confident that she'll represent us well. If you have any inquiries that have not been answered from Ethan please forward it to Devon via PM or e-mail (and CC me) ASAP for immediate assistance.

For emergencies, immediate assistance, & weekend replies (or even just to say hi) i'm still available personally and my new contact information is as follows:

Email: Jack@EmpireEars.com
Text: 678-478-3915
Office: 770-945-0065 EXT 1002
WeChat: J_Vang
WhatsApp: 678-478-3915
Line: 678-478-3915

For all international texters, don't forget to add +1.

Moving on to the Phantom affair with @flinkenick from a while back. What happened was especially difficult for me personally, since I have had what I consider a long and outstanding relationship with Nic. I think all of us - including Nic – truly regret how things went down, especially after such a successful cooperation during the development of the new lineup. We not only appreciated Nic’s good ear, but his honest and straightforward approach with us. It is our position Nic played an essential role in the feedback process of the Phantom, and in determining whether the end product would be suitable for the high-end audio enthusiast market. In the end, we realize that recognition for the Phantom itself was not the issue, but that an employee’s response to a reviewer’s social media post could have been more tactfully placed, regardless of the content. We hope to work with him in the future, and continue to bring you all the best you have come to associate with Empire Ears.

Thanks so much for this Jack. So many have wanted to see this and now they do. You and Nic are so well liked and I'm glad that you have done such a difficult thing by posting your thoughts and actions. You have done so in a very respectful way and I hope that those who were upset, read this post by you and realize that EE is trying to do the right thing. Typical class act by you and I hope this post by you doesn't get lost as folks need to read this as your IEM's are as good as anyting on the market right now. I also know that Dean is working on some more special things as you keep pushing the envelope on IEM's.

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #14,367 of 40,593
i know my wallet says nooooo but i am very eager for a Legend/Phantom European tour as i am very curious how they sound next to Zeus

speaking of Zeus XR i still feel this is a beast , 100% satisfied with it , pairs great with my WM1A and has made my NT6 redundant (will probably end up FS here)

once more , i am hugely grateful/indebted to @Jack Vang - i only own this amazing CIEM because of his huge help

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #14,368 of 40,593
I asked EA.
But I continued reading reviews ( on devil's invitation...), and now I'm also wondering how the Leonidas would pair with the Zeus... Worth the big extra money, above my price range? Would I loose warmth and musicality as it's not - as recommended with Zeus - copper ?
Same question about Lionheart...
Another cable in between ?
Several people I trust who got the Leo said it did not pair well with the Zeus. Someone else I trust (and my own reading) said the the Lion does not pair well. The Ares ll is an excellent cable that pairs extremely well with the Zeus. Unless you hate it, stick with it. Anything other than the Ares ll 8-wire is going to change the sound signature (a lot).

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #14,369 of 40,593
Does the bass in legend x sound is overwhelming? I use se846 for bass and the bass is amazing, is there anyone compare the shure Se846 vs Legend x?
Se846 is soooo out of date. Legend X blows it clean out of the water and then some. Even the bravado is better lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back