Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 24, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #14,326 of 40,591
Hello
What cable (100-300 usd price range) would you recommend as an upgrade from Ares ( not Ares II) cable, for pairing with my Zeus XR Adel G1 ?
Subsidiary question : does anyone know the Penon audio GS849, for same pairing ?

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #14,327 of 40,591
Hi all, finally looking to get a set of custom IEMs again now that it is more financially viable for me (my earwerkz supras were stolen a few years back and have missed them so much, especially since universals have always been too big for my ears). As such, I am looking to get people's thoughts on the new Empire Ears product line and what might be best for my taste.

I listen to a good variety of genres, so I am looking for something that is an all-arounder and forgiving to tracks and sources that might not be A1 (there will be times where these will be powered by a phone using a music streaming service). I remember enjoying the sound of the supras when I had them, and since then I have spent alot of time listening to my Fostex TH-X00 (mahogony) over-ears, which I am also very happy with. I like the overall signature of the Fostex, with the weight and extension of the bass being something I keep coming back too (adds an extra dimension to alot of music IMO). At times however, I do find the bass on the Fostex to be a bit much, as it overpowers other elements of the track (Stevie Wonder's "Living for the City" comes to mind as an example here). The impact of the Fostex's bass can also at times be distractingly good (something I am mildly concerned about when reading about the X-series W9s...I need to be able to get work done with these IEMs in haha).

My main questions to anyone who has experience with the new lineup (and/or the other headphones I have listened to):

1. What are the differences in the sound charateristics in the X-series? I have heard good things about the bravado and the Legend X, but haven't seen too much on the vantage and nemesis.

2. How does the X-series line up against the Phantom (the most interesting of the EP series to me)

3. How does the new line-up compare to the old Supra (and/or, the Fostex TH-X00, for anyone who has experience with them).

4. What are the strengths of the more expensive models, over the more affordable (i.e., bravado and spartan) ones?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #14,329 of 40,591
Ares ll 8-wire is a wonderful upgrade at the top of your price range. I never used an Ares, on the ll, but the bespoke cable is wonderful.
Thank you.
What stock câble did you get if not an Ares ?
Could you compare with other cables before buying the Ares II ?

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #14,330 of 40,591
Ares ll. Well, the Zeus came with a Whiplash silver/copper but it was defective. Replaced immediately with the Ares ll.

OP (you) said Ares, NOT Ares ll.

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #14,331 of 40,591
Showed a bunch of my friends (4-5 of them) who listen to $10-20 earphones my Bravado + Cayin N5ii and they were blown away by the separation of frequencies and the bass haha.

“It doesn’t sound like a ball of music in your ears. You can actually hear the drums being hit.”

:)

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #14,332 of 40,591
Ares ll. Well, the Zeus came with a Whiplash silver/copper but it was defective. Replaced immediately with the Ares ll.

OP (you) said Ares, NOT Ares ll.
Didn't understand your last sentence ???
For me, stock cable that came with Zeus was Ares (at least, EE told me it would be Ares, but I'm not sure if they were talking about Ares or Ares II ; I don't know how to differentiate both...).

So I should consider Ares II as a worthy upgrade over Ares (of I can be sure that I don't already have Ares II)...
Could you compare with other cables before choosing Ares II ? Or did EE send you an Ares II as replacement for Whiplash ?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #14,333 of 40,591
Hello
What cable (100-300 usd price range) would you recommend as an upgrade from Ares ( not Ares II) cable, for pairing with my Zeus XR Adel G1 ?
Subsidiary question : does anyone know the Penon audio GS849, for same pairing ?
If you got your Zeus in the past year it most likely came with an Ares ll. My answer was that I have several Ares ll. I have NOT had an Ares. The cable I am suggesting for you as an upgrade is an Ares ll 8-wire bespoke..

I have not heard an Ares. You can check on the EA site re the differences between the Ares and the Ares ll. Would the Ares ll be an upgrade over the Ares? Seems so, according to EA.
Again, I am assuming you have the Ares ll if you got your Zeus within the past year- certainly if you got it after November of last year.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #14,334 of 40,591
So it looks like I have made a mistake...
Thank you for your explanations.

Assuming I have an Ares II :wink:, what cable(s) would be a worthy upgrade for my Zeus XR ?
Probably in my price tag I have to look rather for second hand market...

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #14,336 of 40,591
Please read my posts. I have suggested an upgrade cable.
Ares ll 8-wire ?
Would mean my stock ARES II is a 4 wire ? Sorry if my questions are obvious, but I'm a little lost in the cable jungle...

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #14,340 of 40,591
Hi all... for customs there are different faceplate options available, like carbon fiber and wood... do they have any effect on the sound signature?

Thanx
none whatsoever. maybe metal faceplates have shielding effect but its kinda negligible. metal shells do have an effect due to different resonance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back