Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #14,372 of 40,593
Se846 is soooo out of date. Legend X blows it clean out of the water and then some. Even the bravado is better lmao
I would recommend the phantom in this case cos the iPhone is not a good enough source :frowning2:. Maybe you'd like to get micro size dap like the shanling m0 to go with the iems? Will bring out better sound easier

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #14,373 of 40,593
I asked EA.
But I continued reading reviews ( on devil's invitation...), and now I'm also wondering how the Leonidas would pair with the Zeus... Worth the big extra money, above my price range? Would I loose warmth and musicality as it's not - as recommended with Zeus - copper ?
Same question about Lionheart...
Another cable in between ?
I haven't heard the Zeus, but if you're unsure about upgrading your Ares II to an Ares II 8 wire you could always contact EA directly and ask for advice on bespoke cables with regard to the kind of sound you're after. You could for instance purchase a 4 wire cable that's a mix of copper and gold-plated silver, or copper and gold-plated copper. I'm sure they'd know best which combination of wires will tweak the sound the way you're looking for.

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #14,374 of 40,593
I would recommend the phantom in this case cos the iPhone is not a good enough source :frowning2:. Maybe you'd like to get micro size dap like the shanling m0 to go with the iems? Will bring out better sound easier
You recommend the m0 with legend? Is it better than red dragonfly? I have mojo and I rarely use it. I have received an email from empire recommended the Legend lx more than phantom, they even mentioned it works good with iPhone without amp but I am afraid to do the same mistake with the A18t (64 audio) which tended to be more reference than musical.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #14,375 of 40,593
Moving on to the Phantom affair with @flinkenick from a while back. Nic played an essential role in the feedback process of the Phantom, and in determining whether the end product would be suitable for the high-end audio enthusiast market. In the end, we realize that recognition for the Phantom itself was not the issue, but that an employee’s response to a reviewer’s social media post could have been more tactfully placed, regardless of the content. We hope to work with him in the future, and continue to bring you all the best you have come to associate with Empire Ears.

Thank you for clearing this @Jack Vang!!
I love you both !!

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #14,376 of 40,593
Thank you for clearing this @Jack Vang!!
I love you both !!

giphy.gif

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #14,377 of 40,593
Several people I trust who got the Leo said it did not pair well with the Zeus. Someone else I trust (and my own reading) said the the Lion does not pair well. The Ares ll is an excellent cable that pairs extremely well with the Zeus. Unless you hate it, stick with it. Anything other than the Ares ll 8-wire is going to change the sound signature (a lot).
That's good to know, thank you for your advice :)
But can you tell me more (or give me a link), why Leonidas et Lionheart don't pair well with Zeus ?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #14,378 of 40,593
To all Phantom - owners... the mother of all questions... what is your favourite cable for them? :) I know, Ares II 8 wire is an option (check)... what else?
What do you think about Lionheart or Leo with the Phantoms?

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #14,379 of 40,593
I haven't heard the Zeus, but if you're unsure about upgrading your Ares II to an Ares II 8 wire you could always contact EA directly and ask for advice on bespoke cables with regard to the kind of sound you're after. You could for instance purchase a 4 wire cable that's a mix of copper and gold-plated silver, or copper and gold-plated copper. I'm sure they'd know best which combination of wires will tweak the sound the way you're looking for.
I will try to ask them, but chatting is more complicated because of the time lag...

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #14,381 of 40,593
Sold my leonidas. Ill use my Ares II for now. Janus D next to pair with my LX? Thoughts/recommendations?

i'd recommend the Thor Silver II 8 wire (with PSquared plug) . Absolutely awsome cable for the LX.

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #14,383 of 40,593
Thank you @Sound~Patriot , I was about to complete the checkout for the Janus D, i'll wait a few days and see what other recommendations I get!

have u already checked the LX/Thor Silver II 8 wire review from @PinkyPowers? Might be helpful for your decision..

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #14,385 of 40,593
To all Phantom - owners... the mother of all questions... what is your favourite cable for them? :) I know, Ares II 8 wire is an option (check)... what else?
What do you think about Lionheart or Leo with the Phantoms?

I personally love the Thor Silver II with the Phantom. It adds warmth to the mid-bass, headroom to the upper-treble and attenuates the Phantom's sometimes irksome lower-treble peak. I can only imagine what the 8-wire pairing would sound like... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back