Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 8, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #12,526 of 40,614
Haha coming from 2ch myself it's comments like these that have my mind made up between ESR and Phantom (can't audition in Canada). Guess it'll have to be a DX200 w/Amp4 then (too bad Tidal offline doesn't live up MicroSD card SQ wise tho). Hugo 2 w/ESR was the other alternative.

@ctsooner22 although you'd never be mistaken for coming off as anything less than exuberant, I find your opinions very helpful for someone like myself who based on all the positive reviews, owned a pair of JH13FP roughly 4 years ago (driven off DX100 up to a Eximus DP1) and thought, "Is this it?" I ended up sticking with headphones for the times when listening to my 2ch rig wasn't agreed to by all haha. Now coming back to ciems due to lifestyle and a strong belief that they have come a long way since my JH13FP, and I don't want to make the same mistake I did before. To hear that you run your Phantoms off your QX-5 and they still scale up definitely tells me I'll be happy with them too.

Sorry OT - @ctsooner22 I like Ayre too. I used to own a AX-7e and you'd would've been hard pressed to find a more engaging integrated in it's price range at the time. Honestly if I was looking for a desktop dac/amp the Codex would've made my A list. As you say balanced is a must with them though! Why do they even include RCA's lol?? I do hope Ayre is in good hands with the sad passing of Charles back in November. One of the brightest minds in audio engineering, bar none.

Good work on the Niagara too!! I got to play around with the 5000 at home and was really taken aback by it. Mopped the floor with the Torus AVR20 I had here (no slouch). Do you have the 5 or 7000? PM me

PM sent. LOL...Ayre will be fine. I'm not sure I should post this, but the investment group knew a few years ago that Charlie wouldn't live much longer, so they bought in a young engineer from Colorado State U I think it is (CSU) and Charlie trained him. He was instrumental in the new 8 series line they are currently launching (for those of you who want a GREAT all in one box for 2 channel that comes with a wonderful DAC and headphone amp, THIS is a must audition along with some other great 1 box solutions coming to market now) and has plenty of new reference gear that he's also been working on. Michael in now in charge of sales since my friend Alex left to go to Audioquest. :)

Yes, this was what was concluded at CanJam SG 2016. Admittedly, I was also hesitant to believe in physical burn-in, but my experiences with the Phantom have changed that somewhat. I do believe that the majority of changes I’ve encountered are due to brain burn-in, but there’s a degree of change that I must say goes beyond that - such as the slight drop in sub-bass and the calmer upper-midrange. It isn’t implausible to hypothesise that EE’s complex synX technology would allow for these slight changes. If I’m not mistaken, aren’t you one of the largest proponents of physical burn-in, Aaron? To the point of selecting specific burn-in tracks, rest times and volumes? I mean, what do you make of these changes? I’d quote some of the statements you’ve made regarding burn-in in the past, but there are just FAR too many to choose from... :D

Daniel, you know my feeling about burn in. Yes, drivers physically move so folks can make their own conclusions, but engineers have told me it's the capacitors and sometimes wire depending on the physical composition of them. We all have our own thoughts and either way, if you are happy you are happy and if not, you move on. To me, that's pretty simple.

Hi All,

New to this thread, but I have been hearing great things about Empire Ears and the wonderful sound from their IEMs. I had the chance to meet Dean and Jack at NYC Canjam this year and it was a pleasure to talk to them. I also auditioned the phantoms and have to say they were one of the best iems that I've heard at the show.

I'm planning on buying a pair of custom phantoms soon and having trouble choosing what combination faceplates and shells on the online designer. From the photos on this thread, it appears that the online representation is a little different compared to the photos of the iem under natural lighting. Does anyone here have experience with the blue burl face plates? I was thinking about pairing it with the translucent aqua shell, but not sure if the blues are compatible. If anyone has this faceplate on their pair, I would be extremely grateful if you can post some photos of it.

If you want to figure out what looks good together, call them on the phone as they are very helpful and know what goes great together. I changed my mind so many times (I wish I had teh money as I had at least 5 top versions, lol). I ended up with the blue printed circuit board with the Royal translucent shells. I love them as do others. They build them under a microscope and they look awesome.

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #12,527 of 40,614
But while we are on the topic of gratitude and humility, the recent posts about the phantom is interesting to say the least. But, like everyone here, we believe in listening to what the Empire crew has to say about it before making any judgements.

we need an official word on the matter from someone high in command at EE
Ethan is just a yes man/employee for the company - i can not believe that his statements were not dictated by someone high up in EE chain command

there have been too many ****ups lately at EE ,one with DJ saying that ADEL is not good tech for EE ciems , one with EE abruptly cutting the reshell option and now this incident with ethan coming out and discrediting @flinkenick 's input on Phantom

very sad to see this happen to a person and a company that are very high in my respect meter

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #12,528 of 40,614
Ethan is just a yes man/employee for the company - i can not believe that his statements were not dictated by someone high up in EE chain command

there have been too many ****ups lately at EE ,one with DJ saying that ADEL is not good tech for EE ciems , one with EE abruptly cutting the reshell option and now this incident with ethan coming out and discrediting @flinkenick 's input on Phantom

very sad to see this happen to a person and a company that are very high in my respect meter

All I can say is, EE being a sponsor of headfi, the banhammer to silence users questioning EE, or mass delete option because it is deemed to contravene the forum rules (which as far as what I can see, it doesn't) , will hopefully not be used to cover this up without a settlement or explanation to the users.

As for the mismanagement of issues with EE, I can't say that I am aware of it. This thread has been nothing short of rather overly positive to say the least, and as @crinacle said, any opinions contrary to that, if there were any, are rapidly responded to with ad hominen attacks, and then buried to oblivion.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #12,529 of 40,614
Edited, as being non relevant at this moment anymore...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #12,530 of 40,614

At the very end of the day the front end is a team of myself, DJ, and Ethan. Both DJ and Ethan being quite new this and working a "normal" Monday-Friday 9 to 5 schedule. I do not have a PR team readily available to address everything the moment that it happens, especially when it's on a public forum. @proedros I addressed your concerns with the ownership transfers and the statement provided by Empire Ears was approved by our CEO so i'm not sure how much higher up in the chain you're seeking. We're in talks with TheHeadphoneList.com in regards to this specific situation and we're looking to resolve it in the most diplomatic way possible. If it cannot be resolved we will release another statement to elaborate on the first statement we released.

Stop derailing the thread folks and lets get back on topic. Please and thanks with a Legend X on top! :)

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #12,531 of 40,614
Back on track. I was listening to West Side Story on my new Phantoms, sounded great!
West-Side-Story-Main-Review.jpg

Then my younger son and I went to see Isle Of Dogs. Great soundtrack, can't wait to hear it on my new Phantoms. The music during the scene of the two packs fighting over scraps in a bag was really good; my 14-year-old, who mostly listens to gaming music, wants to have a copy.
254743263-3.jpg

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #12,532 of 40,614
I liked the EVR the best out of the new EE lineup that I tried out today. The new hybrids have insane bass power and rumble, but I find them too specific in taste -- unless I were an absolute basshead, I couldn't spend $2k+ on such a robust sounding IEM! However, also had a listen to the Zeus XR and that sounds more like my type of flagship
The Zeus is fairly different from the newer models. It's got delicacy and transparency (though it's got bottom end when the music has it), but as someone else here said (sorry, can't remember who), with the Phantom you can hear AND feel the music. That seems about right to me, although I'm finding that certain tracks do better with one or the other. Some music you want to feel and some you just want to immerse you like a cloud.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #12,533 of 40,614
Guys let’s move on from this. I think we have all gotten side tracked by this stupid weird confrontation. I apologise to all this drama.

Let’s get back to discussing our fav topic the IEMs alright? :).

Btw did anyone try legend with ares 2+?
I tried the Zeus XR with the Ares ll+ and it filled in the bottom too much for me. I can only imagine what it would do to the Legend.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #12,534 of 40,614
I tried the Zeus XR with the Ares ll+ and it filled in the bottom too much for me. I can only imagine what it would do to the Legend.

I am in fact running the original Zeus(first edition) with ares II+ with DX200+amp5 and it seems to tighten up the bass a wee bit and increase the high mids a tad. Sound stage was slightly widen and the sound is surprisingly energetic.

Not sure if the Zeus XR is the same as my original Zeus’s tuning though. But yes I will Guess legend X with II+ will be a bass Monster. Guess a SPC cable will tame down the bassy nature of the legend . Interesting....

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #12,535 of 40,614
The Zeus XR is the XlV and the R combined (with a switch to go back and forth). So your tuning and mine with the switch at X are the same. Sounds like you like a bit more oomph in the lower end than I do. :)

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #12,536 of 40,614
if you don't want to break the bank , PW audio no5 is a very nice (and relatively cheap at 150 euros) cable for Zeus XR

my budget is extra tight to go for one of those 500-1000 euros cables , but no5 keeps me happy (for now at least)

and it works fine with both XR settings (imho)

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #12,537 of 40,614
The Zeus is fairly different from the newer models. It's got delicacy and transparency (though it's got bottom end when the music has it), but as someone else here said (sorry, can't remember who), with the Phantom you can hear AND feel the music. That seems about right to me, although I'm finding that certain tracks do better with one or the other. Some music you want to feel and some you just want to immerse you like a cloud.
Might have been this post :wink:

I also think that the Zeus and Phantom complement each other very well. I'm surely enjoying them both to the fullest over here these days :ksc75smile:
Congrats on your purchase and happy listening!

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #12,538 of 40,614
The Zeus XR is the XlV and the R combined (with a switch to go back and forth). So your tuning and mine with the switch at X are the same. Sounds like you like a bit more oomph in the lower end than I do. :)

Woot don’t take my words for it yet. I just got my ares II+ today. My opinions might change as I just realised I have been listening mainly to female vocals songs.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #12,539 of 40,614
Might have been this post :wink:

I also think that the Zeus and Phantom complement each other very well. I'm surely enjoying them both to the fullest over here these days :ksc75smile:
Congrats on your purchase and happy listening!
Well, damn, at least it was a great quote. :)
Sorry, just couldn't remember who, should have know it was someone as cool as you. :)
I just got back from my first walk with the Phantom (yesterday was chair time, and then I let it go all night on its own, so about twenty hours on it now), and it became apparent quickly which albums worked and which didn't (in comparison to the Zeus X). And this is still unbalanced. I think I may swap cables for a bit until Jack sends me a 2.5. First I tried Donald Fagan's The Nightfly (24 bit). Nope, better to my ears with the Zeus, all the delicacy was gone. Then tried my Sting hits playlist, which the Zeus had trouble with in the very upper end (poor mixing/mastering, perhaps, sounded splashy to me with the AKSS). Sounded great, upper tamed enough without removing it, lower mids and bottom end nice and solid. Then threw on Jimi Hendrix's Axis Bold As Love, which sounded great with the Zeus. Better with the Phantom, more body. OK, time to try Steely Dan. Put on Aja, which is one of my reference albums. Wow, lots of mid and lower heft, lots of sound punch hitting in both ears, this album shines with the Phantom! Really good with the Zeus, but this fills it out without losing more than a slight bit of very very upper tippity-tap treble. The Phantom makes it propulsive. J.D. Souther, definitely the Zeus. Box Of Rain-era Grateful Dead, Zeus. Thomas Dolby, tossup. My remastered 24 bit Beatles? Phantom. Pretenders? OMG, Phantom. Fleetwood Mac, depends on the album/track. Gypsy, Phantom. Sentimental Lady, Zeus. Aimee Mann? Tossup. Joan Osborne, Zeus (Phantom made her voice too heavy). Timbuk 3, Zeus, though very nice with the Phantom. Marvin Gaye's live Troubleman, wow, Phantom. Stones? Both, depending on track.. George Michel's Outside, which is about as Pop as I get, Phantom. Prince and Bobby Womack, Phantom. It's A Shame by the Spinners, which sounds fabulous on the Zeus? Fabulous in a different way on the Phantom. Hey, this is fun. Overall, the Phantom has the heft, the Zeus has the delicacy, I'm hearing a bit less at the very very top end and a lot more in in the mids and lower end. Right now as I'm writing this (still listening ) I've got the Tubes What Do You Want From Life on, which is appropriate.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #12,540 of 40,614
Agree :D .....consider to go custom as well. God, this will never end.

I may have held off on purchasing my Nemesis if I had know there would be a fire-sale of universal LXs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am really enjoying my Nemesis (even with ~100hrs on them), but I'd still like the chance to listen to the LXs just to hear the differences.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back