Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 8, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #12,511 of 40,539
I personally don’t feel BA drivers make much of a difference with burn in as well, but dynamic drivers are a different story. Try the CA Vegas, burn in is pretty apparent. Bass tamed down as well just like what the LX is exhibiting

Personally, I stand with the side that burn in does change the sound, but not a night/day difference. It certainly wont make a bass monster stop being a bass monster. However, I also recognize that my impressions are at odds with the general consensus of the community, but then again I'm not a reviewer so at least I know that my words, wont have that much of an impact even if I've found my impressions to be wrong and need to backtrack. At the least I know that people wont be buying stuff solely on the premises of my words or impressions, which leads to a need for credibility and impartiality of opinions.
Personally, I'd recommend ppl to buy it on first impressions, as burn in is too variable a method to use to change the sound. If you think its too bassy, dont buy it. If you think its perfect on first listen, buy it and enjoy it. I'd never recommend people to buy an iem for a sound that comes AFTER a debatable issue of burn-in is done. I guess its also why I've never accepted an offer to burn in stuff for others lol, partially because I myself dont exactly understand what is happening. Its one thing to observe a change, another to understand how it works. Till one day we actually quantify how burn-in works, I'd rarely suggest that one buys a product for a sound that comes after a less-than-understood process.

Does that make sense? I feel that even on a public forum, there is a need to take ownership of one's impression and words, and I dont want to be responsible for making a statement that leads to a poor decision because of a personal bias or lack of information.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #12,512 of 40,539
Ok to the point of burn in. Tbh I really do not believe in a BA iem having burn in effects at all. Balance armatures to me do not have any parts that requires burning in and whoever may say that a BA iem sound changes after breaking in most probably are having certain type of brain burn in. But I respect all opinions.

However as for dynamic drivers, burning in is indeed something I might consider, since we all know that dynamic drivers uses a membrane to produce the sound. This membrane will flex and relax when pushing out air. To me, I will believe to a certain extent that a new membrane in a dynamic driver will have certain degree of burn in when exposed to longer hours. I personally have noticed a tighter and more controlled treble and mids for dynamic drivers after longer uses.

However one problem with dynamic drivers imo is that burning in, will in fact lead to a tighter bass response aka weaker bass as compared to first listen, so this may explain why some of you mentioned that the bass isn’t as hard hitting as first listen.

Like I have always emphasised, to me first impression Beats every other thing. I always attend canjam with nothing but my iphone. If I can walk away from a booth and remember the sound of the iem, I will say that is a winner.

Right now, legend x and CTM davinci X are the ones that left me crazily impressed after my listening session with my crappy iphone.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #12,513 of 40,539
When I got my UERM, I asked the folks at Ultimate Ears about burn in. They said they don't consider it a factor. I probably should've asked Jack today when I was talking to him, but didn't. Oh well.

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #12,514 of 40,539
Ok to the point of burn in. Tbh I really do not believe in a BA iem having burn in effects at all. Balance armatures to me do not have any parts that requires burning in and whoever may say that a BA iem sound changes after breaking in most probably are having certain type of brain burn in. But I respect all opinions.

However as for dynamic drivers, burning in is indeed something I might consider, since we all know that dynamic drivers uses a membrane to produce the sound. This membrane will flex and relax when pushing out air. To me, I will believe to a certain extent that a new membrane in a dynamic driver will have certain degree of burn in when exposed to longer hours. I personally have noticed a tighter and more controlled treble and mids for dynamic drivers after longer uses.

However one problem with dynamic drivers imo is that burning in, will in fact lead to a tighter bass response aka weaker bass as compared to first listen, so this may explain why some of you mentioned that the bass isn’t as hard hitting as first listen.

Like I have always emphasised, to me first impression Beats every other thing. I always attend canjam with nothing but my iphone. If I can walk away from a booth and remember the sound of the iem, I will say that is a winner.

Right now, legend x and CTM davinci X are the ones that left me crazily impressed after my listening session with my crappy iphone.

To play devil’s advocate, one should also consider the fact that both Empire’s balanced-armature drivers and cross-over technology are proprietary and - therefore - unique. Although I’m attributing most of the physical burn-in towards the components within the cross-over, your comments have planted the seed in me that the BA’s could have some capacity or a role as well. But, as always, these are more spitballs than genuine, scientific discussion. At the end of the day, it’s all about sound, and I still stand by the impressions I wrote all those weeks ago.

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #12,515 of 40,539
To play devil’s advocate, one should also consider the fact that both Empire’s balanced-armature drivers and cross-over technology are proprietary and - therefore - unique. Although I’m attributing most of the physical burn-in towards the components within the cross-over, your comments have planted the seed in me that the BA’s could have some capacity or a role as well. But, as always, these are more spitballs than genuine, scientific discussion. At the end of the day, it’s all about sound, and I still stand by the impressions I wrote all those weeks ago.

Totally agree. Now you have also planted a seed into my mind about whether crossovers have certain burn in properties...

Maybe jack and his Engineers can give us some engineering insights on their opinion!

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #12,516 of 40,539

To play angel's advocate, it is not whether the driver is "proprietary" or not. The mechanisms of a balanced armature driver simply do not allow for significant changes from mechanical wear (because of the whole "armature" thing). I'd argue that the changes are even less for resistors, wiring, inductors etc. that go between each driver.

The case for dynamic driver burn in is at least somewhat scientifically sound (even if the changes are debatedly outside the threshold of human hearing). For balanced armature setups, I don't see it and neither do most people in the industry.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #12,518 of 40,539
As one of the first zepp'ers, please don't do this guys. We're all friends at zepp - this isn't some backstreet alley please. Though, if you wanted to meet outside SLS. ahhaahhaha

Haha don’t worry guys, I for one am a peace loving guy who simply have no bone to pick with anyone, but I’m not so sure about this 13candles guy... look at my dp, it’s Elmo! How bad can I be :D

It would be nice to hear his opinions on head fi though. I’m sure this will be a civil meet :)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #12,519 of 40,539
Guys let’s move on from this. I think we have all gotten side tracked by this stupid weird confrontation. I apologise to all this drama.

Let’s get back to discussing our fav topic the IEMs alright? :).

Btw did anyone try legend with ares 2+?

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #12,520 of 40,539
As one of the first zepp'ers, please don't do this guys. We're all friends at zepp - this isn't some backstreet alley please. Though, if you wanted to meet outside SLS. ahhaahhaha

Guys let’s move on from this. I think we have all gotten side tracked by this stupid weird confrontation. I apologise to all this drama.

Per above, please get back on thread. I've deleted some posts and sent out warnings.

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #12,521 of 40,539
I liked the EVR the best out of the new EE lineup that I tried out today. The new hybrids have insane bass power and rumble, but I find them too specific in taste -- unless I were an absolute basshead, I couldn't spend $2k+ on such a robust sounding IEM! However, also had a listen to the Zeus XR and that sounds more like my type of flagship

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #12,522 of 40,539

Tried it
I don't think ares 2+ is a good idea...
Unless you want more bass :confounded:

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #12,523 of 40,539
My LX just hit the 200hr-ish mark and I'm not really one for weird head-fi hype, but the bass is significantly different than when I got them. I think 2ish db less in the sub and miss bass region, and they sound a tad bit wider. The bass out of the box is a bit much, but it settled down for me, but your mileage may vary. I think I'll get these as CIEMs. Anyone want my Universals? :p

Agree :D .....consider to go custom as well. God, this will never end.

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #12,524 of 40,539
Seems like quite the blanket statement here. Nothing but positive vibes and feedback from when I was there for the 3 Empire events that our good friends over at Euphoria and Zeppelin hosted months prior to CanJam SG. I'm humbled to have enough fans to keep me coming back this often. Love Singapore and all of our clientele there!

(If it's any consolation our current SG distributor, in 2 months, exceeded what our previous dealer did in a year and a half.)
(Excuse my big head)
Lov

Nice, so apparently Rome can indeed be built in one day, or in this case two months lol.

But while we are on the topic of gratitude and humility, the recent posts about the phantom is interesting to say the least. But, like everyone here, we believe in listening to what the Empire crew has to say about it before making any judgements.

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #12,525 of 40,539
Hi All,

New to this thread, but I have been hearing great things about Empire Ears and the wonderful sound from their IEMs. I had the chance to meet Dean and Jack at NYC Canjam this year and it was a pleasure to talk to them. I also auditioned the phantoms and have to say they were one of the best iems that I've heard at the show.

I'm planning on buying a pair of custom phantoms soon and having trouble choosing what combination faceplates and shells on the online designer. From the photos on this thread, it appears that the online representation is a little different compared to the photos of the iem under natural lighting. Does anyone here have experience with the blue burl face plates? I was thinking about pairing it with the translucent aqua shell, but not sure if the blues are compatible. If anyone has this faceplate on their pair, I would be extremely grateful if you can post some photos of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back