Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #12,316 of 40,561
I tried two sizes, both sealed too well. The included tips sound great but creates too much of a negative pressure vacuum with my ears. I get none of it with foams, or other tips for that matter. Just the included ones.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #12,317 of 40,561
I would be overwhelmed with 2 new babies like this at the same time!

lol......well. Thank god my wife is on business trip and i have 1 or maybe 2 days alone with both chicks....

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #12,318 of 40,561
I tried two sizes, both sealed too well. The included tips sound great but creates too much of a negative pressure vacuum with my ears. I get none of it with foams, or other tips for that matter. Just the included ones.

i had the same prob with my Vegas and the Spinfits. It feels quite strange and i've heard absolutely nothing on the side where this vacuum issue occured.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #12,319 of 40,561
Well my custom Phantoms arrived today and I can’t seem to get a good seal without pressing them into my ears (and causing a lot of pain) so I may have to send them back for a refit.... sigh.

Funny thing, despite the problem I still can’t stop listening to them... they just sound so RIGHT and FULL (albeit distant with zero sub-bass, due to poor seal). And this is out of my iPhone.

EDIT: So I realized I just don’t know how to put them in completely, and once I got them in right they sealed up perfectly and all the pain is gone... and they just took my breath away.

These are my first CIEMs, please bear with me :ksc75smile:

EDIT2: after another 30 min I finally got the left one in... I guess this is why they say you need to work for anything worth having.

@noper, I posted a few suggestions about this, many moons ago, in the Noble thread, which might give you a little more insight (although I'm glad you seem to be getting the knack of inserting your Phantoms, now):

www.head-fi.org/threads/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns.684787/page-274#post-10554740

www.head-fi.org/threads/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns.684787/page-274#post-10554793

Hope this might help a little
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #12,322 of 40,561
Yea, but then pressure builds up over time.

I did the yarn trick above just with a very thin rubber band and holy crap. Sounds and feels like apex now, just let’s a tiny tiny bit of air escape and helps a ton.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #12,323 of 40,561
I misread the mod as using a little yam-had pictures of odd, messy listening with food in my head...

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #12,325 of 40,561
@noper, I posted a few suggestions about this, many moons ago, in the Noble thread, which might give you a little more insight (although I'm glad you seem to be getting the knack of inserting your Phantoms, now):

www.head-fi.org/threads/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns.684787/page-274#post-10554740

www.head-fi.org/threads/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns.684787/page-274#post-10554793

Hope this might help a little
Yep, for me giving a tug on the outer part of the ear (where they pinch when they drag you by the ear) while rotating in helped lock everything in place.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #12,326 of 40,561
Yea, but then pressure builds up over time.

I did the yarn trick above just with a very thin rubber band and holy crap. Sounds and feels like apex now, just let’s a tiny tiny bit of air escape and helps a ton.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with experimenting with reducing the amount of seal with universal tips.

However, for those who do feel like experimenting (and losing a few dBs of isolation), another way, instead of yarn or rubber band, etc., would be to experiment with very small drillbits (around 1mm - maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more). Using such a small drillbit, you could drill a hole along the side of a sponge universal tip:

foam-tip-2.gif

www.amazon.com/SE-82615MD-Speed-Steel-Drill/dp/B0052Z9TJG

Amazon Drillbits.jpg

Caveat #1)
it would be unfair to review an IEM when using tips modified in this way, since it would potentially affect not just the level of isolation but also the intended bass tuning.

Caveat #2) modifying universal tips to reduce seal is not necessary if your ears look like this:

hairy ear.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #12,328 of 40,561
So you didn't hear audio at all on the side of the vacuum? So weird. The thread tip really helps, kinda crazy.

yep nothing, there was just vacuum...the yarn tip sounds great. Will give it a try as well.

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #12,329 of 40,561
A slightly random question here, but I was just on the EE website checking out the two new product lines (Bravado, LegendX and Phantom tick all my boxes, if I can just save up the money) :)
I noticed they have "Titanium Silver" cables for sale on there too, which surprised me. I've been looking for a decent budget cable to tide me over until I can 'go big' :p
However, there's not much detail about them on the webpage. Could anyone tell me more about the make-up of the cables (titanium plated silver? or?) and it would be very useful if anyone could also tell me how you have found them to affect the sound signature?
I have a pair of Noble Audio Katana which I'm considering to pair them with, by way of reference.
Thanks all :)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #12,330 of 40,561
A slightly random question here, but I was just on the EE website checking out the two new product lines (Bravado, LegendX and Phantom tick all my boxes, if I can just save up the money) :)
I noticed they have "Titanium Silver" cables for sale on there too, which surprised me. I've been looking for a decent budget cable to tide me over until I can 'go big' :p
However, there's not much detail about them on the webpage. Could anyone tell me more about the make-up of the cables (titanium plated silver? or?) and it would be very useful if anyone could also tell me how you have found them to affect the sound signature?
I have a pair of Noble Audio Katana which I'm considering to pair them with, by way of reference.
Thanks all :)

I’m pretty sure that’s just a name they came up with for the colour of the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back