Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 4, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #12,331 of 40,559
FYI, I have a Spartan IV Universal that I am letting go for a great price. It is Blue Face (solid) and transparent blue shell. They are about 5 weeks old with maybe 10 hours total. I am going to move in the EE line up. $520 shipped to CON US. Check my ad.

Thanks!

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #12,332 of 40,559
Listening in total fervor to Gautier Capuçon's Intuition (Classical at its best) with my Phantoms and i don't want anything else. So natural, intimate and charming what i hear. Everything sounds so right on point. Its really astonishing....

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #12,333 of 40,559
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with experimenting with reducing the amount of seal with universal tips.

However, for those who do feel like experimenting (and losing a few dBs of isolation), another way, instead of yarn or rubber band, etc., would be to experiment with very small drillbits (around 1mm - maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more). Using such a small drillbit, you could drill a hole along the side of a sponge universal tip:

:ksc75smile:

This ear might get too much moisture caused by over ear headphone?!

www.amazon.com/SE-82615MD-Speed-Steel-Drill/dp/B0052Z9TJG

Caveat #1)
it would be unfair to review an IEM when using tips modified in this way, since it would potentially affect not just the level of isolation but also the intended bass tuning.

Caveat #2) modifying universal tips to reduce seal is not necessary if your ears look like this:

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #12,334 of 40,559
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with experimenting with reducing the amount of seal with universal tips.

However, for those who do feel like experimenting (and losing a few dBs of isolation), another way, instead of yarn or rubber band, etc., would be to experiment with very small drillbits (around 1mm - maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more). Using such a small drillbit, you could drill a hole along the side of a sponge universal tip:

www.amazon.com/SE-82615MD-Speed-Steel-Drill/dp/B0052Z9TJG

Caveat #1)
it would be unfair to review an IEM when using tips modified in this way, since it would potentially affect not just the level of isolation but also the intended bass tuning.

Caveat #2) modifying universal tips to reduce seal is not necessary if your ears look like this:

Dude needs to hire a good Gardner for those shrubs!

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #12,336 of 40,559
A slightly random question here, but I was just on the EE website checking out the two new product lines (Bravado, LegendX and Phantom tick all my boxes, if I can just save up the money) :)
I noticed they have "Titanium Silver" cables for sale on there too, which surprised me. I've been looking for a decent budget cable to tide me over until I can 'go big' :p
However, there's not much detail about them on the webpage. Could anyone tell me more about the make-up of the cables (titanium plated silver? or?) and it would be very useful if anyone could also tell me how you have found them to affect the sound signature?
I have a pair of Noble Audio Katana which I'm considering to pair them with, by way of reference.
Thanks all :)

The titanium cable is available only in the accessory section, if you order any earphone, your <<only>> cable option is the Ares II and you can choose the plug you need.
BTW Ares II is an amazing cable!!!

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #12,337 of 40,559
Is it just me or the Phantom pairs beautifully with the Mojo?
I think there is a lot of journeys to be had with different sources, as reported by many.

I must say - and I am just 12 hours into burn in - I am just in love with the Phantom... it's a highly addictive drug, the tuning is so beautifully done :pray:

I have posted this earlier in first impressions, I am really surprised in the bass department especially sub bass is really great... BA bass done right and beautifully. The mids I expected to be beautiful but they are superb really, full bodied but with the right amount of air... instruments timbre is indeed remarkable, subtleties of the musicians interpretation is conveyed so well. Vocals deserve a special mention... very emotional. The treble is not lacking either, although I would say is rather serving the overall signature than showing off.

I find myself in a dreamy state of being, floating like a phantom :wink: ?

:relieved:

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #12,338 of 40,559
Again, kudos to you for posting pics of what I had picked in the website builder but dropped as it didn’t look half as good there, otherwise I wouldn’t have changed it :)
To be fair they’re probably not as dashingly stunning as my VE8, but it has nothing to do with Empire just well, good wood faceplates rock :p
Then again, as good as they look they sound greater :ghost:A/B).

so glad to have helped out :wink:....LOL.....

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #12,340 of 40,559
Full copper
912A3300-E42E-4CCB-A9A0-1436D551EBC8.jpeg

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #12,341 of 40,559
I think there is a lot of journeys to be had with different sources, as reported by many.

I must say - and I am just 12 hours into burn in - I am just in love with the Phantom... it's a highly addictive drug, the tuning is so beautifully done :pray:

I have posted this earlier in first impressions, I am really surprised in the bass department especially sub bass is really great... BA bass done right and beautifully. The mids I expected to be beautiful but they are superb really, full bodied but with the right amount of air... instruments timbre is indeed remarkable, subtleties of the musicians interpretation is conveyed so well. Vocals deserve a special mention... very emotional. The treble is not lacking either, although I would say is rather serving the overall signature than showing off.

nope... it's not just you :D Mojo + Phantom (and LX also) is a beautiful pairing as well. Right now i prefer the ibasso DX200 though. Strange is with the Phantom right now i honestly don't fell the need to burn in like i'm used to. It really sounds completely "ready" to me. Weird, huh? No burn in?! :wink:.... maybe my ears prank me and i don't see through this sneaky game just because i'm floating on a cloud...
You sound like a perfect example for a lucky man fallen in love :D... Same here btw.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #12,342 of 40,559
7299798A-E96E-41B1-B20E-81E4F192A59F.gif
nope... it's not just you :D Mojo + Phantom (and LX also) is a beautiful pairing as well. Right now i prefer the ibasso DX200 though. Strange is with the Phantom right now i honestly don't fell the need to burn in like i'm used to. It really sounds completely "ready" to me. Weird, huh? No burn in?! :wink:.... maybe my ears prank me and i don't see through this sneaky game just because i'm floating on a cloud...
You sound like a perfect example for a lucky man fallen in love :D... Same here btw.

How could you do this to me?

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #12,344 of 40,559
We never publicly offered owner transfers, though we did do them occasionally on a case-by-case basis - many of those units multiple times at discounted rates. The official cutoff date for owner transfers will be April 30, 2018 and this option will not be available for the X & EP series. Please feel free to contact @Ethan Groover in regards to any inquiries related to this. We highly encourage you guys to purchase universals if you're looking to resell later on down the road. For CIEM owners we'll provide support for as long as we're around. :beerchug:
Thank you so much for this chance Jack.

I'm sorry if my previous post had opened a can of worms. It wasn't my intent.
As far as I know, I had assumed that ciems users looking to sell their ciems had always reduced their asking price by the amount needed for the reshell+ownership transfer cost in order to match +/- the price of UIEMs in the classifieds.
I doubt we ever expected for this to be free of charge or to mean a loss to you. Personally, I believe that this service should of always been profitable and not at a loss. Products or service, it's a business and you got employees and family you support.
If you tell us that this is the cost or that it increased (it's normal and ok) with your own profit/margin included included in that price for the service and we'll adapt accordingly by reducing our asking price.
It's just nice to have a chance to recoup even a couple hundred bucks so we can fund our next ciem crave.

I'm still mad thankful for when you reshelled at 250 per side or 350, and I hope the current price be it 550 or 650 is not a loss for you. I repeat, even if it's 1k for this service, we'll just adapt our asking price. You go and make a decent living with an amazing company and vibe at shows (and off shows :wink: )

I'm well aware of the concept of in the beginning you "bend over backwards" and eventually when you grow up you might be pushed into "I don't have time for this crap".

I hope HeadFi mods/admins will be lenient this time and allow me to say that: hey I got one of the first Zeus ciems ever out there and they're looking for a new home to share its intimate vocal heaven. I rather someone get it at a crazy deal than for it to remain in a peli case unused.

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #12,345 of 40,559

I totally share your feelings and opinion on the signature! It's like a 'New Gold Dream' state of mind and although I own some and have heard quite a few other totl IEMs over the past years, I'm gonna pull this card: ''The Phantom is my favourite IEM from all the ones that I've heard/auditioned so far, at this moment!'' It does everything just right, also based (of course) on my own signature preferences! :ksc75smile:

I think the Phantom probably shines with daps that are a bit on the clear / bright side of the signature spectrum :thinking:
The synergy with the Lotoo Paw Gold for example is one on a 'match made in heaven' level to my ears...
20180405_103206.jpg

I also almost can't believe that there is still room for improvement compared to how great they already sound, after only one day of listening :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back