Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 27, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #1,141 of 40,684
I haven't heard the SE5 or A12. I have heard the U10. The Adele loaded iem seem to produce its sonic image a bit differently. It's lighter feeling and airy throughout. Things aren't dense like with many multi-BA's. While there's a feeling of open spaciousness, it's not a pinpoint, exacting kind of image. At least that's how I've interpreted it over a couple of days.

I liked the A12 (non-ADEL version) that I listened to at CanJam SoCal last year (sounded not too far off from my Legend R) more than the A12 (ADEL "automatic" [thats what I was told it was by a 64 Audio rep] equipped version) that I listened to three days ago at NAMM. The non ADEL model sounded more airy, detailed and coherent than the ADEL "automatic" equipped version, which in contrast sounded like there was a veil over the frequency range and even pretty muddy, especially compared to other IEMs in the price range and compared to various lesser-priced IEMs as well. For the sake of listening via matched sources, I listened via my iPhone at CanJam SoCal and my iPhone at NAMM.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,143 of 40,684

I liked the A12 (non-ADEL version) that I listened to at CanJam SoCal last year (sounded not too far off from my Legend R) more than the A12 (ADEL "automatic" [thats what I was told it was by a 64 Audio rep] equipped version) that I listened to three days ago at NAMM. The non ADEL model sounded more airy, detailed and coherent than the ADEL "automatic" equipped version, which in contrast sounded like there was a veil over the frequency range and even pretty muddy, especially compared to other IEMs in the price range and compared to various lesser-priced IEMs as well. For the sake of listening via matched sources, I listened via my iPhone at CanJam SoCal and my iPhone at NAMM.

Hey Maurice, there was never a non-ADEL A12. Hence the name... A for ADEL (U for Universal, even though they also have ADEL). So I'm not really sure what you're referring to. There is a manual module, that allows the user to adjust how effective they want ADEL to be. From completely closed/disabled for the most isolation (like a standard IEM), to all the way open, giving a very similar sound stage and airyness like an open back headphone. Plus the range in between, letting you match your ear drums impedance, giving more depth and texture to the sound.

The Automatic ADEL Modules are fixed at about 70% open, a happy spot between fidelity and isolation. That's what comes with all 64 Audio U and A Series IEMs. Manual Modules are an upgradable option, just like all the other modules that will be coming out. Like the one allowing for complete isolation on stage, while allowing ADEL to act like its been dialed wide open, best of both worlds for a performer.

My only guess is you heard but had them completely closed, therefore disabling ADEL in the first place, making them seem less airy, congested and a smaller sound stage, just like a non-adel equipped IEM.

Hope that clears that up.

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,144 of 40,684
Hey Maurice, there was never a non-ADEL A12. Hence the name... A for ADEL (U for Universal, even though they also have ADEL). So I'm not really sure what you're referring to. There is a manual module, that allows the user to adjust how effective they want ADEL to be. From completely closed/disabled for the most isolation (like a standard IEM), to all the way open, giving a very similar sound stage and airyness like an open back headphone. Plus the range in between, letting you match your ear drums impedance, giving more depth and texture to the sound.

The Automatic ADEL Modules are fixed at about 70% open, a happy spot between fidelity and isolation. That's what comes with all 64 Audio U and A Series IEMs. Manual Modules are an upgradable option, just like all the other modules that will be coming out. Like the one allowing for complete isolation on stage, while allowing ADEL to act like its been dialed wide open, best of both worlds for a performer.

My only guess is you heard but had them completely closed, therefore disabling ADEL in the first place, making them seem less airy, congested and a smaller sound stage, just like a non-adel equipped IEM.

Yeap wondering about the same thing too since my A12 sounds nothing like what Maurice had heard :thinking:. Plus there shouldn't be any non Adel version of A12 since the start since 64 ears decided to launch the A series on Kickstarter to transition fully to Adel technology.

Back to Zeus, yes it has the best pin point razor sharp accuracy of instrumental placing and imaging. Best based on all the iem I have tried actually!!! Not to say that mids... Best I heard too and I am a midfanatic!!!

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #1,145 of 40,684

Yeap wondering about the same thing too since my A12 sounds nothing like what Maurice had heard :thinking:. Plus there shouldn't be any non Adel version of A12 since the start since 64 ears decided to launch the A series on Kickstarter to transition fully to Adel technology.

Back to Zeus, yes it has the best pin point razor sharp accuracy of instrumental placing and imaging. Best based on all the iem I have tried actually!!! Not to say that mids... Best I heard too and I am a midfanatic!!!

The representative at CanJam SoCal said that the A12 version that I listened to (maybe called U12 then) did not have the ADEL module installed (after I specifically asked the rep if the ADEL module was installed) so when I listened to it, I was under the complete impression that I listened to a non-ADEL product - which I really enjoyed the sound of. Nothing but praise for that product in my Legend Omega review last year. If in fact there was an ADEL installed, and it is claimed to have been "closed" - essentially defeating the ADEL, the closed ADEL sounded better to me than the automatic ADEL, no doubt at all in my mind.

The ADEL-equipped model ("automatic" - the pinhole size indicates this from what I was told) that I listened to at NAMM was simply not as airy, detailed, coherent, spacious, resolute or clear-sounding with regards to its entire sound signature and technical performance.

Short of a needing-to-be-repaired IEM, that would be the only other reason in my mind why it sounded so incoherent and veiled. There are some products on the market that simply do not sound very coherent and resolute, regardless of their price, and at in the very least my opinion, the automatic ADEL-equipped A12 universal is not for me.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #1,146 of 40,684
I really have no idea what you listened to then, because that in no way sounds like the A12. I really think you're mixing things up. Especially since I didnt see you listen to the A12 the whole time we were at the booth comparing players & dacs for over half an hour and that was my station all week.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #1,147 of 40,684
I really have no idea what you listened to then, because that in no way sounds like the A12. I really think you're mixing things up. Especially since I didnt see you listen to the A12 the whole time we were at the booth comparing players & dacs for over half an hour and that was my station all week.

So he is lying then?

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,148 of 40,684
  So he is lying then?

I'm just saying that I think there is a mix up of some sort. Demo pairs look very similar, only way to tell the difference is the number on the side. I'm not saying he is lying or attempting to trash talk another company, I'm simply stating that I think there is confusion about which models were listened to. Especially given all the inaccurate information about ADEL and the modules already stated in previous posts. It doesn't make sense.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #1,149 of 40,684

I did not listen to the A12 via you. There are other ways to listen to IEMs than only at one station. I listened to it outside of the station, where the A12 and A10 were available to listen (I did not have the time to give the A10 a listen).

I am not mixing things up, and in no way that I would do so, especially since I write my impressions down either as I listen to said audio equipment, or immediately after listening to said audio audio equipment. It's disheartening to know that you believe that I am dishonest or in the least "mixing things up" with regards to the sharing of my own opinions.

Also, referring to your last post, there is absolutely no confusion with the model or models that I listened to. There is a huge "12" on the side that denotes the A12 model.

By the way, do you work for Asius? (The parent company of ADEL). I saw you with a shirt on.

I would rather focus on Empire Ears products instead of other IEMs, but that is a part of threads, which is comparisons with other IEMs from a plethora of companies.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #1,151 of 40,684
Definitely. The exhibitors at the show were nice and informative, and the products sounded great, with some technological breakthroughs as well. Looking forward to seeing more designs from Jack and the team.

I'm kind of digging the singer Fantasia's design:

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #1,152 of 40,684
I'm just trying to piece together all the misinformation along with very odd impressions. Hence why I did not say that you were lying, nor just making things up. We all have different preferences in sound, that's what makes the HiFi hobby to enjoyable and fun to talk with other enthusiasts. Generally, most products get a reputation for this or that by listeners and when somebody says they're hearing stuff that is very unlike what every other listener says they hear or like about a product, it makes you wonder whats different.

That's why I said I think there was just a mix up because that would explain things very easily, rather than fictitious claims. But you say that that's what you heard, then okay cool, we're on the same page then. 

And yes, I work after hours with Asius. I purchased my A12s in October but had an issue with my auto ADELs and it forced me to get in contact with the 64 (and then Asius directly). In the process of figuring out that my jaw movement was actually the source of my issue, I had learned much more about ADEL and was able to start answering questions for other customers with concerns/general FAQ. I swapped to the manual adels and it fixed all my issues that I was experiencing, which you can read all about in my A12 review. I manage a garage of 400+ collector cars for my day job, (giving me 8 hours a day to listen to IEMs) and ended up getting involved with Asius because I was thoroughly impressed with how the situation was handled. 

I have contacted the mods of Head-Fi about updating my account status but never heard back and haven't been posting much while I wait on how they want to handle the situation of my after hours work with a company involved on this site. It's very well known on the 64 thread and I'm as open about it as possible. Since we spent time talking this last weekend, I didn't feel the need to disclose that information again, much like I wouldn't expect you to say something about being favorable toward Empire since you were working their booth as well.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,153 of 40,684
I'm just trying to piece together all the misinformation along with very odd impressions. Hence why I did not say that you were lying, nor just making things up. We all have different preferences in sound, that's what makes the HiFi hobby to enjoyable and fun to talk with other enthusiasts. Generally, most products get a reputation for this or that by listeners and when somebody says they're hearing stuff that is very unlike what every other listener says they hear or like about a product, it makes you wonder whats different.

That's why I said I think there was just a mix up because that would explain things very easily, rather than fictitious claims. But you say that that's what you heard, then okay cool, we're on the same page then. 

And yes, I work after hours with Asius. I purchased my A12s in October but had an issue with my auto ADELs and it forced me to get in contact with the 64 (and then Asius directly). In the process of figuring out that my jaw movement was actually the source of my issue, I had learned much more about ADEL and was able to start answering questions for other customers with concerns/general FAQ. I swapped to the manual adels and it fixed all my issues that I was experiencing, which you can read all about in my A12 review. I manage a garage of 400+ collector cars for my day job, (giving me 8 hours a day to listen to IEMs) and ended up getting involved with Asius because I was thoroughly impressed with how the situation was handled. 

I have contacted the mods of Head-Fi about updating my account status but never heard back and haven't been posting much while I wait on how they want to handle the situation of my after hours work with a company involved on this site. It's very well known on the 64 thread and I'm as open about it as possible. Since we spent time talking this last weekend, I didn't feel the need to disclose that information again, much like I wouldn't expect you to say something about being favorable toward Empire since you were working their booth as well.

Best day job ever!

(On another note Maurice was volunteering with no monetary gain. Look forward to working with some more head-fiers for next years namm!)

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #1,154 of 40,684
All I know is that I just can't stop listening to my Zeus for a single day less and does not regret giving up on my 1964 customs. ADEL is the only reason why I did not upgrade to A12 or A10, so please don't bring it to the Empire. When ADEL was launched on kickstarter, I remember how fellow headfi members complained about the difficulties in determining and dialing the same amount of bass on each earpiece. ADEL also messed the design of the whole CIEM. If you have small ears, all you can see is a metal circle sticking out.

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #1,155 of 40,684
Thanks for reminding us of the MassDrop, Jack. I'd already thrown in votes for my two faves, Hermes and Zeus. Tonight I threw in another vote for an additional favorite, Spartan. Played some classic Rush from the newly-remastered Moving Pictures album, some Opeth off Blackwater Park, and some obscure experimental-ish electronic by Vaetxh.

Spartan handled it all very well with a very clear, clean sound and good spacial cues. Instruments were very clear in space. There was good separation. Wide soundstage. Bass drops had good impact. Guitars had good bite. Vocals were nicely present without being too forward. No sibilance to speak of. Drums were crisp. These would without a doubt be my entry level recommendation for those looking to dip their toes into the Empire Ears waters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back