Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #11,146 of 40,559
CanJam NYC was the official release of all seven IEMs, so I think you can just shoot them an e-mail to order. Jack also mentioned a new website going up within the next few weeks, so you can order from there as well if you don't mind the wait.

Ah okay. Was there any mention of current build time/ETA for the Phantom/LegendX? Sorry if I missed that in a previous post.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #11,147 of 40,559
Ah okay. Was there any mention of current build time/ETA for the Phantom/LegendX? Sorry if I missed that in a previous post.

It should be the standard 4-6 weeks, with possible delays due to pre-production; ordering drivers, soldering cross-over points, attaching acoustic tubing, etc. Though, Jack did mention the Legend X being considerably more laborious to produce, so I assume that one’ll take a bit longer.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #11,148 of 40,559
It should be the standard 4-6 weeks, with possible delays due to pre-production; ordering drivers, soldering cross-over points, attaching acoustic tubing, etc. Though, Jack did mention the Legend X being considerably more laborious to produce, so I assume that one’ll take a bit longer.

Gotcha, thanks!

Has anyone who heard Legend X also heard the U18t? I've recently been ready to upgrade from Andromeda and was leaning towards the U18t but now I'm also interested in the Legend X. I prefer a warmer sound so I didn't love the Fourte.. so perhaps Phantom wouldn't suit me either.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #11,149 of 40,559
Gotcha, thanks!

Has anyone who heard Legend X also heard the U18t? I've recently been ready to upgrade from Andromeda and was leaning towards the U18t but now I'm also interested in the Legend X. I prefer a warmer sound so I didn't love the Fourte.. so perhaps Phantom wouldn't suit me either.
Nic has already covered it in this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...rmerly-earwerkz.786335/page-707#post-14026621 but I'll copy and paste it for ya.

"For me, the most logical comparison that comes to mind, is the A18. Both IEMs combine a neutralish signature with exceptional clarity and high resolution, while exciting with powerful bass and a wide stage. In both cases their stimulating signatures steer me towards genres like pop, (vocal-based) electronic music, or energetic rock. Even so, there are essential differences throughout their signature.

Starting of course with their bass; like the Legend, the A18's bass is enhanced. But driven by BA drivers, its decay is quicker, while its texture is colored by its lifted upper treble. While it has good bottom-end extension, its emphasis is on mid- over sub-bass. The Legend's dynamic drivers provide a more realistic, rounded bass, centered on the sub- and lower portions of the mid-bass; a more analogue sounding bass. In addition, the Legend offers slightly more body to its midrange, especially male vocals. Even so, the difference between their midrange is not that vast. The distinction is greater in the treble, where the A18's brighter upper treble provides an additional touch of sparkle, making it slightly more upfront in its detail approach. The Legend's treble in turn is more neutral in tone, and accordingly more coherent with its midrange. However, these are both top-tier IEMs that I would personally classify as exciting and stimulating, with an X-factor in terms of stage, detail, and of course, bass."

Based on the above, if you prefer a warmer sound, the Legend X might just be for you. You save $600 too, but you never really save any money in Head-Fi, you'll just channel the $600 to a nice, kick-ass cable. :p

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #11,150 of 40,559
Nic has already covered it in this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...rmerly-earwerkz.786335/page-707#post-14026621 but I'll copy and paste it for ya.

"For me, the most logical comparison that comes to mind, is the A18. Both IEMs combine a neutralish signature with exceptional clarity and high resolution, while exciting with powerful bass and a wide stage. In both cases their stimulating signatures steer me towards genres like pop, (vocal-based) electronic music, or energetic rock. Even so, there are essential differences throughout their signature.

Starting of course with their bass; like the Legend, the A18's bass is enhanced. But driven by BA drivers, its decay is quicker, while its texture is colored by its lifted upper treble. While it has good bottom-end extension, its emphasis is on mid- over sub-bass. The Legend's dynamic drivers provide a more realistic, rounded bass, centered on the sub- and lower portions of the mid-bass; a more analogue sounding bass. In addition, the Legend offers slightly more body to its midrange, especially male vocals. Even so, the difference between their midrange is not that vast. The distinction is greater in the treble, where the A18's brighter upper treble provides an additional touch of sparkle, making it slightly more upfront in its detail approach. The Legend's treble in turn is more neutral in tone, and accordingly more coherent with its midrange. However, these are both top-tier IEMs that I would personally classify as exciting and stimulating, with an X-factor in terms of stage, detail, and of course, bass."

Based on the above, if you prefer a warmer sound, the Legend X might just be for you. You save $600 too, but you never really save any money in Head-Fi, you'll just channel the $600 to a nice, kick-ass cable. :p

or just get yourself a nice sounding DAP to pair with. ;P

Plenty options to choose from $600 mark I think.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #11,152 of 40,559

That was helpful, thanks!

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #11,154 of 40,559
That was helpful, thanks!
Based on reviews of A18, I highly covet it too, but the price was the inhibiting factor, not to mention I missed the early bird A12 to A18 upgrade program. Then in comes Legend X that appears to do what A18 does, with mighty dynamic drivers to boot. I'm more or less sold.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #11,155 of 40,559
Based on reviews of A18, I highly covet it too, but the price was the inhibiting factor, not to mention I missed the early bird A12 to A18 upgrade program. Then in comes Legend X that appears to do what A18 does, with mighty dynamic drivers to boot. I'm more or less sold.

I think it's impressive that an IEM that cost less can still have technical on-parness, it not, slightly better than one that still cost so much.

Driver wars should be dead IMO, but it's definitely impressive how 2DDs + 5BAs can match 18 BAs in sound quality and still have a bit of edge, most likely the low-end part since nothing says great bass like a well-tuned dynamic driver. :D

I will say however, that I haven't heard Legend X and A18T yet so maybe I cannot judge at all, but if the comparisons from those that heard it are legit, then I must say Legend X is quite an accomplishment.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #11,156 of 40,559
Gotcha, thanks!

On the contrary, if you prefer a warmer signature, the Phantom would be perfect for you! It's natural sounding without any harsh peaks in the treble, and it's much warmer, more bodied and more organic-sounding than the Fourte.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #11,157 of 40,559
Picking an 2017 TOTL CIEM, then EE Phantom Launched...

AbandonedAliveAsianlion.gif

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #11,159 of 40,559
I was thinking Phantom also. The other thing is that you guys need to be aware of the new cables that EA had at the show. Less than Horus and WOW with all the IEM's they were paired with at show. Just ask anyone who heard them what they thought.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #11,160 of 40,559
This makes me wonder what's cooking on the horizon of Effect Audio.

I've seen pictures of that 8-wire palladium plated copper but since it's a prototype I can't quite make of any impressions or thoughts from listeners yet.

I know Kubig gave his thoughts on that cable but it would be great if I can read more about that.

And I am also curious if there'll be more new cables available on Effect Audio's end. Sucks that I missed out on the Heracles, Mars and Freyja cable... =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back