Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 20, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #11,131 of 40,596
Final thought: Heck Yea Bass! Bass head please look this way.

I LOL'ed. This has to be my favourite phrase in the entire thread!

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #11,132 of 40,596
Yeah, tell her it's all about connections/networking anyways, and that you need reconnect yourself to music >:-]]

Did anyone take a close up pic of the premium faceplate showcase display at the Empire table? At Euphoria's FB page, top feed has a short video of the table. Last few seconds shows the faceplate options. Noticed some nice new ones.

I noticed some of the new faceplates when I was customizing my ESR order. I wound up going with the galaxy faceplate. Can't wait to see how it looks when it is finished. The Van Gogh looked awesome too!

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #11,133 of 40,596

Here they are! You're right some of the new ones look extremely nice. Those at the upper right region remind me of the exotic dyed woods QDC offers.

The bottom left plate looked very interesting...

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #11,135 of 40,596
I left Canjam ordering Legend X. The Phantoms are really great though and put a hard fight over my wallet. They were more balanced, had more finesse, more relaxed and natural in their presentation, and a better all rounder. They just did everything right.

But the Legends punched me in my face and didn’t apologize. I didn’t have to sink into their signature to get transported. I spent a very long time listening to them because I thought over time they may start to become too much and my initial enthusiasm would fade. Instead, the more I listened the more I appreciated how they tuned these. Bass was the anchor (and crazy in a good way), mids were almost to the level of my Zeus IVX and very present, while at the same time the highs were sparkly and detailed. Staging was also really good and still gave me the holographic feel, which I wasn’t really expecting. How could these sound like this and still be very coherent and layered? I didn’t get it.

I then went to 64 Audio’s booth to try U18t, Forte (again), and U12t. I was most interested in the U18t. I liked them a lot with both modules. On to other booths. But only the Legend kept calling me back with their addictive sound. And the Phantom still was #2 on my list.

If I didn’t already own Zeus IVX with PW 1960, I would have maybe picked the Phantoms (don’t really know). I wanted something different and the Legends grabbed me from the very first track.

Any chance you could give some quick impressions of U18t vs Legend X?

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #11,137 of 40,596
If I didn’t already own Zeus IVX with PW 1960, I would have maybe picked the Phantoms (don’t really know). I wanted something different and the Legends grabbed me from the very first track.

Would be great to know if the PW 1960 pairs well with the Legend X. Esp how it affects the lows... Congrats on the purchase of the Legend X.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #11,138 of 40,596
#NeverLetImpressionsSteerYouAwayFromWhatYouLike
Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions, they are really great, and I love this hashtag, couldn't agree more! Best thing to do with impressions/reviews is use them to make a demo shortlist. Unfortunately, it does seem that when I do that, I end up with 7 new EE IEMs I want to demo. :p

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #11,139 of 40,596
I love to see that Zeus is still the boss of mid centric signatures, and possibly still the best clarity/resolution that EE has?

Or am I wrong

I'd say the Phantom is on-par with it in terms of midrange prowess and overall resolution. The Legend X has the same amount of clarity, but presented in a smoother manner.

When does Phantom go on sale?

CanJam NYC was the official release of all seven IEMs, so I think you can just shoot them an e-mail to order. Jack also mentioned a new website going up within the next few weeks, so you can order from there as well if you don't mind the wait.

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #11,140 of 40,596
So Phantom is the natural King with smooth top while Legend is the more exciting one, with killer bass and sparkly highs

I need to audition both , cause now I don't know which one i need more

and speaking of audition , @Jack Vang any chance of setting up a Europe Tour of the new EE iems ? i guess @flinkenick could be the captain here

I see @Barra setting those kind of tours in US for Hidition / 64 audio ciem , so i can not see why we could not do a european tour with people who seem trustworthy (myself included of course xexe)

just a thought - i am sure that at least some people who try those new EE projects would go ahead and buy them so this tour seems like a win-win for both EE and headfiers

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #11,141 of 40,596
I noticed some of the new faceplates when I was customizing my ESR order. I wound up going with the galaxy faceplate. Can't wait to see how it looks when it is finished. The Van Gogh looked awesome too!
The first row, 4th column one reminded me of Starry Night by van Gogh

Maybe once the EE team gets back safe and sound from NYC, fully rested, Ethan could provide us with a high res photo of that display. To help pump up the euphoria of imagining a new c/iem @_@

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #11,142 of 40,596
Would be great to know if the PW 1960 pairs well with the Legend X. Esp how it affects the lows... Congrats on the purchase of the Legend X.
No problem, I will report back on this after I get my Legend X and let them run in for a little while. I auditioned the X with the Aries II that come with EE iems and have these same cables with other iems. The PW 1960 seem to accentuate the bass a little more so I'm curious if it may be too much down low. I will also try the X with the Labkable Samurai III that has been almost permanently attached to the Katanas.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #11,144 of 40,596
Has anyone listened to Shure kse1500?kHow does it compare to zeus

Nick did try it.

This is his feedback:
<< I absolutely loved the KSE. I think it is the Ultima SS in iem form. Admittedly, I would prefer if its tone was slightly warmer like the Ultima Cu, but in terms of resolution and transparency it is definitely above standard iems. Add nice body, and excellent separation, and it is overall top class.>>

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #11,145 of 40,596
I haven't used the KSE in a while because I've been on the go and don't want to carry it around with me. I think it's more fluid with transition of notes - it just flows effortlessly; sort of melts into your ears. It is surprisingly full sounding while still being very detailed like estats are. I enjoy the Zeus just as much. I listen to a lot of vocal focused music and the Zeus just does it for me. Zeus's staging is more to my preference. Both are great but with KSE you are stuck with the amp and cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back