Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #11,116 of 40,611
Even if I would conclude my impression now, I would consider this a great earphone, but there is more.

I usually use "Things That Stop You Dreaming" from Passenger for the male vocals, but what hit me was the sub-bass at the beginning of the song, never experienced anything like this, was like having 2 68-pounder cannonsthat were shooting in my ears, forget the Tia Fourte, I never heard a low-end so powerful and clear .

Great song, had to check it out after you said this. But I must say, I just listened to it on my Dita Dream and was thinking the whole time "what sub-bass is he talking about?!?!" Ha, I hear none! :)

-Collin-

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #11,117 of 40,611
Great song, had to check it out after you said this. But I must say, I just listened to it on my Dita Dream and was thinking the whole time "what sub-bass is he talking about?!?!" Ha, I hear none! :)

-Collin-
I think with a lower powered source it sounds v bassy. But with strong amping, it sounds pretty balanced, if not slightly u shaped

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #11,119 of 40,611
I love to see that Zeus is still the boss of mid centric signatures, and possibly still the best clarity/resolution that EE has?

Or am I wrong
I felt that the flagships all have the same technical performance but the Zeus presents details the most obviously

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #11,120 of 40,611
Great write up L. Thanks so much. It was awesome meeting you in person. Thanks so much. I'm sure ti won't be the last time we get together :wink:. I totally agree with you. When I heard the warmer cable on Sunday morning, I was shocked at how much better it was. I also like the first one that is SOOO neutral. Both are winners and geometry does matter. I was speaking with Eric and the owner (wish I could spell his name, so sorry) and he told me how he does the hand braiding of every cable and how he plays wiht differently braiding techniques to get different sounds. I can't even imagine doing that. Talk about taking your passion to the next level. I do love those guys, lol. As L said, these new cables are like Jewlery. Just beautiful to look at too :wink:.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #11,121 of 40,611
Pinky, we really missed you. lol...I thought you'd fly in for the event. Ha
Iron, great write up, but I'm not surprised as I was reading some of your notes when we were talking. If you heard teh Phantom's with the soon to be cable, you would have added points for bass and the upper octaves, lol. I bet that it would refine the X even more also and smooth it out even more while tightening up that already great bass, while bringing the mids forward a bit, which to me, would be even a bit better.

That said, they really did nail things with both lines.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #11,122 of 40,611
I left Canjam ordering Legend X. The Phantoms are really great though and put a hard fight over my wallet. They were more balanced, had more finesse, more relaxed and natural in their presentation, and a better all rounder. They just did everything right.

But the Legends punched me in my face and didn’t apologize. I didn’t have to sink into their signature to get transported. I spent a very long time listening to them because I thought over time they may start to become too much and my initial enthusiasm would fade. Instead, the more I listened the more I appreciated how they tuned these. Bass was the anchor (and crazy in a good way), mids were almost to the level of my Zeus IVX and very present, while at the same time the highs were sparkly and detailed. Staging was also really good and still gave me the holographic feel, which I wasn’t really expecting. How could these sound like this and still be very coherent and layered? I didn’t get it.

I then went to 64 Audio’s booth to try U18t, Forte (again), and U12t. I was most interested in the U18t. I liked them a lot with both modules. On to other booths. But only the Legend kept calling me back with their addictive sound. And the Phantom still was #2 on my list.

If I didn’t already own Zeus IVX with PW 1960, I would have maybe picked the Phantoms (don’t really know). I wanted something different and the Legends grabbed me from the very first track.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #11,123 of 40,611
Congrats. I would love to own both the Phantoms and the X, but that's not happening any time soon. lol.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #11,126 of 40,611
True dat. Having the Phantom and the X would pretty much cover it, just have to tell my daughter to forget college (the degree ain't what it used be...)

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #11,127 of 40,611
True dat. Having the Phantom and the X would pretty much cover it, just have to tell my daughter to forget college (the degree ain't what it used be...)
Yeah, tell her it's all about connections/networking anyways, and that you need reconnect yourself to music >:-]]

Did anyone take a close up pic of the premium faceplate showcase display at the Empire table? At Euphoria's FB page, top feed has a short video of the table. Last few seconds shows the faceplate options. Noticed some nice new ones.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #11,129 of 40,611
Right now...these are the IEMs in my wishlist for EE. xD

Ranking from lowest to highest.

#7 -- Spartan IV: Neutral Beast. Absolutely love it.
#6 -- Hermes VI: Super balanced.
#5 -- Athena VIII: Dreamy midrange.
#4 -- Vantage: Tastefully done smoothness with bass that might be as good as Vega? Consider me sold.
#3 -- Zeus-R: Beautiful musicality without over emphasis on anything.
#2 -- Legend X: BASSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! (at least according to so many impressions here from you guys)
#1 -- Phantom: Sounds like it'll be my ideal audio nirvana or hopefully a more accessible Spiral Ears 5 Ultimate since it seems to share so many similar traits to how Nic described the top ranker on the Flagship shootout.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #11,130 of 40,611
Yeah, tell her it's all about connections/networking anyways, and that you need reconnect yourself to music >:-]]

Did anyone take a close up pic of the premium faceplate showcase display at the Empire table? At Euphoria's FB page, top feed has a short video of the table. Last few seconds shows the faceplate options. Noticed some nice new ones.

plates.jpg

I have the next best thing, a YouTube screengrab lol. You're right some of the new ones look extremely nice. Those at the upper right region remind me of the exotic dyed woods QDC offers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back