Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 17, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #10,936 of 40,600
No problem here. One of the main complaints I've read about here in relation to the more expensive IEMs was that many of them came with rather pedestrian cables. Which was why I often purchased after-market cables for some of my IEMs. In the case of my Zeus, it came with a Whiplash that had a crimping issue on one earpiece and was instantly replaced (I mean within days) by Ethan with an EA Ares ll. Both are excellent cables that, even though they are "entry level," are high quality hand-made cables that certainly don't need upgrading. Should I want to spend $500-1000 more, I could, but I see no need (and I listen in a fairly critical manner to my music/equipment)

Straight language is fine with me. Call it what it is, Jack.

As for Legacy status for the Zeus, no disrespect, but nothing I've read about the new EE lineup makes me want to retire my Zeus. I am totally happy with it. It does exactly what I hoped it would and I have no buyer's remorse now that newer IEMs are coming out. The Legend sounds too warm for me, and while the Phantom might be interesting, it also sounds like it might have a fuller sound than I would prefer. I'm happy with my Zeus (and my UERM). That's not saying that if Jack makes it to the CanJam LA I won't try out the new ones just for fun. :)
If it was ever genuinely good, it still is, regardless of what else shows up.

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #10,937 of 40,600
So this is where the rich people hang out. Awesome! I'm broke but at least I can lurk here!

Its funny though, for a second here I was actually afraid I might catch the bug. That would be all I need. Fortunately, my hearing is shot, so I can breath easily. :D

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #10,939 of 40,600
Feb 17, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #10,943 of 40,600
The secret is all about the signature. If a signature agrees with you, be happy. There are variations to a signature, but honestly nothing in this price range sucks. I have said it so many times, I am almost exhausted.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #10,944 of 40,600
I ordered a phantom after hearing it a few times at the ee table today. It was by far my favorite iem at canjam. Last canjam favorites were the tia fourtes. The empire ears Zeus and the a18t from last canjam were neck and neck but I preferred the timbre of the fourte. Anyhow, my previous iems were campfire Andromeda which I used for past two years. Though I think the Andros are great, I found them outclassed by the phantom. The biggest win for me was the timbre. It was very full and rich organic sound while being balanced end to end. It gave me a sense of realism that I missed from previous iems. I think the zeus, a18 still have that ba timbre which was tinny which gave it a slightly thin and flat sound. Aside from balance, what I enjoyed was the cohesion throughout the sound spectrum. When I listened to the tia fourtes again along with the Tia trio, I felt the sound was not as cohesive...as if I can hear the different driver crossovers. Phantom didn't lose in resolution and imaging to any other iems. Clarity was excellent. I'm not sure how much bass people prefer but I found the phantom to be a tad bassy though I don't know if it's bassy or just a sense of heft in the overall sound. Even aftet hearing the auris flagship amp with the susvaras, I didn't find them lacking. Still was engaging and enjoyable. Seeing that the products are not available to order on the website yet, I couldn't leave without ordering one. Probably the most expensive purchase to date for an Iem/headphone, but it was worth it for me. I was tempted to go custom, but I elected to go universal because I wanted to be able to share the sound with other people. That and ordering Universals ensured a faster delivery time :). Definitely give these a listen and visit ee at canjam NYC. As always everyone at the booth was super friendly and in no way pressured me to make my decision. Happy to finally join the ee family!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #10,945 of 40,600
I ordered a phantom after hearing it a few times at the ee table today. It was by far my favorite iem at canjam. Last canjam favorites were the tia fourtes. The empire ears Zeus and the a18t from last canjam were neck and neck but I preferred the timbre of the fourte. Anyhow, my previous iems were campfire Andromeda which I used for past two years. Though I think the Andros are great, I found them outclassed by the phantom. The biggest win for me was the timbre. It was very full and rich organic sound while being balanced end to end. It gave me a sense of realism that I missed from previous iems. I think the zeus, a18 still have that ba timbre which was tinny which gave it a slightly thin and flat sound. Aside from balance, what I enjoyed was the cohesion throughout the sound spectrum. When I listened to the tia fourtes again along with the Tia trio, I felt the sound was not as cohesive...as if I can hear the different driver crossovers. Phantom didn't lose in resolution and imaging to any other iems. Clarity was excellent. I'm not sure how much bass people prefer but I found the phantom to be a tad bassy though I don't know if it's bassy or just a sense of heft in the overall sound. Even aftet hearing the auris flagship amp with the susvaras, I didn't find them lacking. Still was engaging and enjoyable. Seeing that the products are not available to order on the website yet, I couldn't leave without ordering one. Probably the most expensive purchase to date for an Iem/headphone, but it was worth it for me. I was tempted to go custom, but I elected to go universal because I wanted to be able to share the sound with other people. That and ordering Universals ensured a faster delivery time :). Definitely give these a listen and visit ee at canjam NYC. As always everyone at the booth was super friendly and in no way pressured me to make my decision. Happy to finally join the ee family!
Thanks for sharing your (I certainly agree on all the bold parts) impressions of the Phantoms signature and congrats on your purchase!

I also found the Phantom to be an absolute upgrade over the Andros (which I still have and do like!) in sq. And just like you, I never found it lacking in (sub)bass at any point => for me it had exactly the right amount of bass.
I guess it won't be easy for most out there to resist/forget the Phantom, once they've heard it :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #10,946 of 40,600
subscribed...
pop.png

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #10,947 of 40,600
The Ares II will be included with your choice in termination (2.5, 3.5, 4.4). Finding synergy between IEMs and Cables can be difficult at times, due to all of the variables, but every model has been tuned with the Ares II to ensure optimization out of the box.

Thank you for the kind words and noted.

Thank you! There’s an amazing story and collaboration behind each model. More on that soon :)

Zeus is OG triple OG status and he’ll always have a place in our hearts. The tuning philosophy isn’t the same as the X and EP series so we can’t take categorize him in either but Zeus will definitely still be available for purchase.
good to learn that you offered different termination of choices for the x and ep series, is it applied in the other selling countries?
it really a waste if the 3.5mm was the default bundled for some customers who are mainly with 2.5 or 4.4

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #10,948 of 40,600
Hi Jack, when I got my Phantom from the retail shop here in Hong Kong I was never informed that there would be a choice in termination and ended up receiving one with a 3.5. Is there any way of exchanging the cable for a 4.4 termination or am I stuck with what I have? By the way, really loving the Phantom.

Thank you for your support! UIEMs are ordered and packaged by termination so I would contact the dealer to see if they can help you out. If they can’t ping me and I’ll get you squared away.

good to learn that you offered different termination of choices for the x and ep series, is it applied in the other selling countries?
it really a waste if the 3.5mm was the default bundled for some customers who are mainly with 2.5 or 4.4

For universals it’s dependent on the dealer for which versions they stock. So far there have only been orders for 3.5s. For customs they should be marking it on the order forms.

BTW it was a pleasure meeting everyone at CanJam NYC today! Wayyyy busier than last year!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #10,949 of 40,600
What a day. Out eating sushi so I’ll post opinions later. I think I covered everything here lol. I can honestly say I heard a few cans and IEMs that I’d love but not as many as I expected. I liked the 399 Advamced Audio M5 I think it was. Really a great value. It’s not up to the EE new line but if you can afford the EE then it’s a great but when it becomes available. I didn’t love the Tia line. I know Nic and others love the Forte but it’s just not for me. The A18 and Treo I think it was were good but again they just didn’t do what I expected after reading about them. Very good IRams but I heard them AFTER the EE Phantoms and the Legacy X as well as the Bravado’s which to my ears are a Spartan like value. The lower offerings are special. My buddy loved the line. Our favorites from the show so far are the Kennerton lightt ER weight Odons, the top open back by ZMF (I own and love the Oris), the Advamced I spoke about earlier and the Wells and top Woo amps. Wow.

The topper really was the Phantom. I loved the Aries cable that it comes with, but I heard a 8 strand prototype from Effect Audio that I now NEED. It gives even more of what Phantom offeres. It give even more deep, articulate bass and a more extended high end with a touch more sparkle. I apologize, but it was a HOLY crap, Come to Jesus moment with everything my AK380cu threw at it and that was a lot of DSD and 24/192 stuff that’s well recorded. When I hit it up with the Cord Hugo 2 it was an incremental difference, but it’s so revealing that you could hear it. I didn’t hear that on most of the IEMS I heard today. Kind of disappointed. Just being honest. I will spend more time with the lower line as that’s important to all.

I want a less expensive IEM for the wife. I purchased the Phantom with a COOL new face. I can’t wait to get it. Catherine went ALL OUT with her new line up of choices. I’ll post pics if u guys want when I get them. Mine will be the ciem as that will give me better everything and I don’t want to deal with the tips if I don’t have to. STOKED to say the least.

I will do a big write up after I get them and break them in. Not sure if I posted yet, but it was so awesome meeting another great group of folks im getting to know in Audio. I pushed myself more than I should have. Thank goodness for trains so I don’t need to drive lol. Train station is even in my town so the wife will pick me up. Ha. I feel blessed this evening. Out on my own which is rare, but eating some incredible sushi at sushi of Gari at 146 near the hotel. How can I listen to my Noble Savants again???

Any questions? BTW, the Leonidis cables and the Lionheart along with the new prototypes from Effects are well worth a serious audition. If you can afford it, it’s worth getting with these new iems, but buy the most IEM you can as this will make a BIGGER difference and that’s not even close. jMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back