Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #10,036 of 40,613
I have a friend who's an audiologist. She has MS like I do and we speak very openly. She read the EE paper on impressions and had to reschedule me to order a fresh set of the material EE want's. She said that they impressions came out great. I did the bit block horizontally as they all said. I was sitting in a chair, not a recliner as I'm walking around a bit. I'm hoping that my jaw was in proper position. Praying they work as these are my first CIEM's and I wanted them as I don't love the tips I always end up using, lol.

If I understand this correctly, are you sending in new impressions aside from the ones I have now? The ones you already sent have great full coverage of the inner and outer ear, and are very useable.

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #10,037 of 40,613
For those who are interested, just posted my long-overdue review of the Athena over on the other blog I write on - it's pretty lengthy (8000 words!) but I think these little beauties are worth it.
TL;DR - beautifully musical sound, smooth as buttered butter and deserves to be talked about more when people are discussing the heavyweight contenders in the c. $1000 price bracket.

Thanks to @Jack Vang for suggesting them at Canjam London last year (wow, that feels like a long time ago) - finally managed to put them down long enough to write some proper descriptions! Looking forward to hearing about all the new gear you guys have coming out whenever the ball finally drops - exciting time to be following this thread! :wink:

https://audioprimate.blog/2018/01/04/empire-ears-athena-the-goddess-of-olympus/

EDIT: Working link now updated above - thanks to Ethan for the heads-up!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #10,038 of 40,613
Please refer to my email response I sent you. As for your sound preferences, I would recommend waiting a short while for our new products to release, as you may find that there will be something there to meet your needs!
Now THERE is a spoiler alert! :)

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #10,039 of 40,613
For those who are interested, just posted my long-overdue review of the Athena over on the other blog I write on - it's pretty lengthy (8000 words!) but I think these little beauties are worth it.
TL;DR - beautifully musical sound, smooth as buttered butter and deserves to be talked about more when people are discussing the heavyweight contenders in the c. $1000 price bracket.

Thanks to @Jack Vang for suggesting them at Canjam London last year (wow, that feels like a long time ago) - finally managed to put them down long enough to write some proper descriptions! Looking forward to hearing about all the new gear you guys have coming out whenever the ball finally drops - exciting time to be following this thread! :wink:

https://wordpress.com/post/audioprimate.blog/7159
https://audioprimate.blog/2018/01/04/empire-ears-athena-the-goddess-of-olympus/ <---that link works, the one you posted doesn't

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #10,041 of 40,613
Jan 4, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #10,042 of 40,613
Show me a spoiler alert and I'll show you a hilariously-impatient Head-Fier, barely able to contain their excitement.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

TIME.

LOL

Not me- I'm still really happy with my two-month-old Zeus. I may try the new ones out at CanJam LA but I'm in no hurry to spend more money in an endless search for audio perfection. :)

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #10,043 of 40,613
If I understand this correctly, are you sending in new impressions aside from the ones I have now? The ones you already sent have great full coverage of the inner and outer ear, and are very useable.

Hi Ethan. Hope you had a great NY. Only one set. So glad they came out ok. that's a nice start.

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #10,044 of 40,613
I think for many brands with large product ranges, like EE or Noble some models get forgotten as people don't see the point of them. Often people will think, if I splurge for third most expensive in the line up (Athena), I might as well go to the top, which is too bad, because some people may enjoy Athena more than Zeus.

I think the is fault is :
  • Partly on us consumer who tend to associate quality with driver count and / or price in a lineup
  • Partly in the brands who just show the models in order of driver count and / or price order
I think models should be shown in a matrix, one axis being the technical performance / price level (entry / advanced / TOTL), and the other axis being the target customer / sound (warm / fun, neutral, analytical, etc.).

Therefore there would be room for several iems at the same level (already the case with Noble Encore / Katana). This is one area where Noble was smart. Also on the idea of not divulging the number of drivers in some iems.

Finally I think most brands should maybe reduce the lineup a bit, because maybe some iems are just filling space and not so exceptional?

Jan 4, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #10,045 of 40,613
Finally I think most brands should maybe reduce the lineup a bit, because maybe some iems are just filling space and not so exceptional?

What you described would fit for brands focusing on audiophiles, but often the pro musician market is where these strange uninteresting IEMs go. :)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #10,046 of 40,613
What you described would fit for brands focusing on audiophiles, but often the pro musician market is where these strange uninteresting IEMs go. :)

I've seen tons of musicians go for the Apollo-X, which is funnily the least talked-about EE IEM on this thread.

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #10,048 of 40,613
I think for many brands with large product ranges, like EE or Noble some models get forgotten as people don't see the point of them. Often people will think, if I splurge for third most expensive in the line up (Athena), I might as well go to the top, which is too bad, because some people may enjoy Athena more than Zeus.

I think the is fault is :
  • Partly on us consumer who tend to associate quality with driver count and / or price in a lineup
  • Partly in the brands who just show the models in order of driver count and / or price order
I think models should be shown in a matrix, one axis being the technical performance / price level (entry / advanced / TOTL), and the other axis being the target customer / sound (warm / fun, neutral, analytical, etc.).

Therefore there would be room for several iems at the same level (already the case with Noble Encore / Katana). This is one area where Noble was smart. Also on the idea of not divulging the number of drivers in some iems.

This a lot!!

Moedawg and Jackpot recommended me to get Athena Ears since I would like musicality.
I really do enjoy it! I really lurk here mainly cause 95% of discussion is on the Zeus. Nice to read stuff up on the spartan too!

Ethan Groover also was a big help in chatting with me and even gave the Athena a listen himself when I received my pair! I really like Athena a lot and prefer them comfort wise over Andromeda even. I find these are wearable with comfort and no condensation issues and I also get less hiss issues as well!

Been using them daily!

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #10,049 of 40,613
This a lot!!

Moedawg and Jackpot recommended me to get Athena Ears since I would like musicality.
I really do enjoy it! I really lurk here mainly cause 95% of discussion is on the Zeus. Nice to read stuff up on the spartan too!

Ethan Groover also was a big help in chatting with me and even gave the Athena a listen himself when I received my pair! I really like Athena a lot and prefer them comfort wise over Andromeda even. I find these are wearable with comfort and no condensation issues and I also get less hiss issues as well!

Been using them daily!

The Vision Ears VE8 is TOTL and very musical.

GsJSEuc.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back