Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 21, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #7,607 of 40,577
Nice to see so many glowing comments on Zeus XR , as i am about to join the Zeus XR Task Force
wise choice.jpg

I'm curious which signature (XIV or R) you will prefer later on :thinking:

May 21, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #7,608 of 40,577
when i went to London for a masters degree in 2012 , the younger guys there (as i was 36 atm) used to call me Yoda because of my wisdom

they had even put a yoda pic in my room door

true story.

May 21, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #7,609 of 40,577
when i went to London for a masters degree in 2012 , the younger guys there (as i was 36 atm) used to call me Yoda because of my wisdom

true story.
See, that's why I asked for your feedback on the Athena. Didn't even know that story and I could still sense the wisdom!

I love in London now, by the way. However did you survive?! :wink:

May 21, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #7,610 of 40,577

true story.

They didn't use it as a dart board, did they? :dart:

See, that's why I asked for your feedback on the Athena. Didn't even know that story and I could still sense the wisdom!

I love in London now, by the way. However did you survive?! :wink:

Love in London? Man, you don't have to share every intimate detail with us over here :grin:

May 21, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #7,612 of 40,577
well , London kinda bummed me out - the weather (rain/so sun) freaked me out coming from a sunny country (Greece) , the people were all running like coked up hamsters , the women were not very pretty and i found thefood not exciting - plus everyone was into alcohol which i find to be the dumbest drug of all

i was thinking 'man if the people here had the recession we now have in Greece , they would jump into Thames river by the thousand'

I loved Amsterdam , and not just for its amazing coffee shops (or the chance to visit Nic and try all his TOTL ciems)

May 21, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #7,614 of 40,577
well , London kinda bummed me out - the weather (rain/so sun) freaked me out coming from a sunny country (Greece) , the people were all running like coked up hamsters , the women were not very pretty and i found thefood not exciting - plus everyone was into alcohol which i find to be the dumbest drug of all

i was thinking 'man if the people here had the recession we now have in Greece , they would jump into Thames river by the thousand'

I loved Amsterdam , and not just for its amazing coffee shops (or the chance to visit Nic and try all his TOTL ciems)
We're hoping to move to Scotland or Scandinavia as soon as possible. Life here is far too hectic and indeed, people run around like coked up hamsters. We like the cold and the quiet, so hopefully we can get there soon. That way I could get the most open ADEL module and not worry about a lack of isolation. :wink:

May 21, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #7,615 of 40,577
Are you attending CanJam in London this year, @Wyville? If so, come up to me and say hi, would be nice to see you there! :right_facing_fist: (imagine a brown colored fist-bump, hehe)

May 21, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #7,616 of 40,577
Are you attending CanJam in London this year, @Wyville? If so, come up to me and say hi, would be nice to see you there! :right_facing_fist: (imagine a brown colored fist-bump, hehe)
I had planned to be there and demo a few of the Empire Ears ADEL models, as well as drop by Effect Audio to have a chat with Eric and of course see Gisele of Aid2Hearing and buy @flinkenick a drink if he is there. Unfortunately as it looks now I will need to be back home in the Netherlands. Perhaps on the Saturday.

May 21, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #7,617 of 40,577
I had planned to be there and demo a few of the Empire Ears ADEL models, as well as drop by Effect Audio to have a chat with Eric and of course see Gisele of Aid2Hearing and buy @flinkenick a drink if he is there. Unfortunately as it looks now I will need to be back home in the Netherlands. Perhaps on the Saturday.
Here's hoping to see you, but if you're not able to make it, maybe next time! :beerchug:

May 23, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #7,619 of 40,577
Hey guys! It seems I've managed to miss about six pages of posts because Head-Fi didn't send me any notifications, but I'm glad to see everyone's been incredibly cool and fun while I've been gone.

Thanks Brian for cleaning up the post but I did happen to see the original post so i'd like to address a few things. First and foremost, this company being co-founded by a second generation Asian (Hmong) American has ZERO to do with the way that we tune our in-ear monitors. Being raised in Atlanta, Georgia it doesn't take a genius to know that it's the capital of hip-hop, R&B, neo-soul, and gospel. There's also a thriving indie-rock, classical, country, and blues scene here. It's a culture that we at Empire have embraced because it's who we are and it's what I was raised on.

Secondly, the Olympus Series was tuned for technicality and live performances which is what we've achieved. We tuned this entire series for our immediate market, the pro musicians, and were fortunate enough to have an audio enthusiast community behind it. Dean, my father, is the founder of Empire Ears and is a Vietnam war refugee that escaped to America in the late 80's to pursue his American dream. He spent the majority of his youth playing rock gigs with various musicians and then I came along. The rest is history.

Thirdly, Empire is a sister company of Savvitek, a medical device and IEM manufacturing company. We're currently in a 8,000+ sq ft facility with 22 hard-working employees consisting of Asians, Caucasians, Latinos, and African Americans. The base tuning process starts with Dean and makes it's way through our board of trusted professionals and partners (most of them Grammy award winners) from within the music industry for further feedback and approval. Recently we've been reaching out to this community for constructive criticism on a few prototypes for another project.

Simple economics. When you scale you have a larger overhead and running a manufacturer in the USA isn't exactly cheap. We also take care of our employees. They're sufficiently paid with numerous benefits including 100% paid health insurance and maternity leave. If I was manufacturing these overseas with questionable conditions and the cheapest components possible then yes i'd be able to offer our products at a much lower price point but we support our economy and we take pride in handcrafting all of iems here in Atlanta.

Anymore questions?

One of the best, most insightful, and fantastic posts I've seen in a while. God bless you and the entire fam, @Jack Vang.

My Zeus XRA continue to impress. I have just stumbled upon a prog metal band recently that are right up my alley called Animals as Leaders. The Zeus really shows its capability in terms of realism and speed with this band. So awesome.

I have found this chatter re the Zeus not living up to the hype absurd. I have owned the Dita Truth, Lab 1, Katana, K10, K3003's, Parterre, ie800 and others, and heard a good chunk of the other high end iems and the Zeus to me is on another level. I am so happy with the Zeus as a portable that now I am thinking of getting some cans (which I have always resisted - but just got my tax return so got to buy something audio) cus my portable setup is so epic. Thanks Jack.

Dude, I can't friggin' wait for my XR's now. Tosin Abasi's eight-string deserves my attention! :D

May 23, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #7,620 of 40,577
To those that sold their EE ciems, how did the ownership transfer go? Did you send your sold ciems back to Atlanta with the buyer sending his/her ear mould impressions there or you sent them directly to the buyer so he/she would ship em back to EE along with their impressions?

What's the reshell cost for a Zeus R non Adel ? US$350? If not mistaken it seems to be 390 for the ZXRA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back