Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 11, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #7,171 of 40,613

Interesting, I may be screwed haha, I wanted ADEL cause customs have been giving me issues where the pressure causes slight tension/headaches through my left ear from the tight seal, hoping ADEL would be able to help. I don't seem to have this issue w/ universal IEMs

Unfortunately, its a trade-off with the ADEL, unless you are willing to use EQ, which is what I am doing right now. Even then, I miss Galaxy's sub-bass. It is one of the best sub-bass I have heard in an IEM.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #7,173 of 40,613

Unfortunately, its a trade-off with the ADEL, unless you are willing to use EQ, which is what I am doing right now. Even then, I miss Galaxy's sub-bass. It is one of the best sub-bass I have heard in an IEM.

Yeah that DD bass is lovely :) 

Have you tried the O1 module for when you feel like having a "non ADEL" iem?

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #7,174 of 40,613
Just XR brother. Just XR. You can do a victory lap if you want.  I figure I have an ADEL IEM, an apex IEM, it's time I had a normal IEM.

I'm just happy you getting Zeus, in whatever format you want him in. You won't be disappointed, if you allready got adel iems you wanna keep. An XR is just a great choice. Super exited abiut your review/impression... Probably months away tho

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #7,175 of 40,613
  I don't find the subbass extension very deep on R or X with or without ADEL.

Well, it depends. If you are coming from an IEM with enhanced bass, where the sub-bass is going to be more prominent and so, easy to perceive, the sub-bass on the Zeus can seem inadequate. But if you compare Zeus to other BA IEMs that have a neutral bass tuning, the non-ADEL Zeus does have pretty good bass extension.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #7,176 of 40,613

Well, it depends. If you are coming from an IEM with enhanced bass, where the sub-bass is going to be more prominent and so, easy to perceive, the sub-bass on the Zeus can seem inadequate. But if you compare Zeus to other BA IEMs that have a neutral bass tuning, the non-ADEL Zeus does have pretty good bass extension.

Agreed. The bass is there, fully extended and very well proportioned to the mids and treble. But if someone wants more bass than is on the recording, then these are not your IEMs. The Zeus (especially -R) are ruthlessly revealing, flat and neutral IEMs....just how I like them!

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #7,177 of 40,613

Agreed. The bass is there, fully extended and very well proportioned to the mids and treble. But if someone wants more bass than is on the recording, then these are not your IEMs. The Zeus (especially -R) are ruthlessly revealing, flat and neutral IEMs....just how I like them!

It's there, but I don't think it is linear down to 20 Hz. Try The Dark Knight "Why So Serious?" and you should see what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, Zeus bass is awesome. However, for what the OP requested as a solid subbass presence it likely won't satisfy. I like the Zeus bass presentation, the original I think especially is very natural.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #7,178 of 40,613

I don't find the subbass extension very deep on R or X with or without ADEL.

I am sorry, I didn't mean to undercut your point in my previous post. I tried a few other neutrally tuned BA IEMs at the canjam back in October 2016, and they did not have the extension of the non-ADEL Zeus.

But I agree with you, coming from the Rhapsodio Galaxy, I do find the sub-bass extension a bit lacking on the Zeus even with the MAM fully closed.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #7,179 of 40,613

It's there, but I don't think it is linear down to 20 Hz. Try The Dark Knight "Why So Serious?" and you should see what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, Zeus bass is awesome. However, for what the OP requested as a solid subbass presence it likely won't satisfy. I like the Zeus bass presentation, the original I think especially is very natural.

I often use frequency sweeps to test low end and to my ears its all there and very flat. Other IEMs I've reviewed have this area accentuated and that's fine, but that's not a neutral signature.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #7,180 of 40,613

I am sorry, I didn't mean to undercut your point in my previous post. I tried a few other neutrally tuned BA IEMs at the canjam back in October 2016, and they did not have the extension of the Zeus.

But I agree with, coming from the Rhapsodio Galaxy, I do find the sub-bass extension a bit lacking.

Not at all! We are all just talking here. Compared to my 64 Audio Adel offerings (which are warmer) the subbass on Zeus is barely there. Now I might, as you say, just be used to a boosted sub region. Time will tell I guess.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #7,181 of 40,613

I am sorry, I didn't mean to undercut your point in my previous post. I tried a few other neutrally tuned BA IEMs at the canjam back in October 2016, and they did not have the extension of the Zeus.

But I agree with, coming from the Rhapsodio Galaxy, I do find the sub-bass extension a bit lacking.

Not at all! We are all just talking here. Compared to my 64 Audio Adel offerings (which are warmer) the subbass on Zeus is barely there. Now I might, as you say, just be used to a boosted sub region. Time will tell I guess.

Are you using the universal or custom Zeus? FWIW, I've considered the Adel on the bassy/warm side of neutral as a reference point.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #7,182 of 40,613

Are you using the universal or custom Zeus? FWIW, I've considered the Adel on the bassy/warm side of neutral as a reference point.

Universal, which may be affecting things.

You and I don't hear things the same. You hear things in gear very differently (even oppositely) than I do at times so we will probably not find complete agreement on this. Not meant as an insult, just the way it is.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #7,183 of 40,613

Universal, which may be affecting things.

You and I don't hear things the same. You hear things in gear very differently (even oppositely) than I do at times so we will probably not find complete agreement on this. Not meant as an insult, just the way it is.

A-ha! That might be it. I would definitely play around with the eartips. I'm using the custom Zeus -R Adel IEMs. We all do hear things differently, no arguments there.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #7,184 of 40,613

Yeah that DD bass is lovely :) 

Have you tried the O1 module for when you feel like having a "non ADEL" iem?

I have not tried the O1 module, but I own a MAM. Even with the MAM in the fully closed position, the sub-bass on the Zeus is noticeably lesser than Galaxy's sub-bass. But then using O1 or MAM fully closed would defeat the purpose of getting an ADEL IEM. 

If the level of sub-bass you are looking for, is the level of sub-bass on the Galaxy, then even the non-ADEL Zeus may not work. In that case, you may want to contact Jack or EE team directly and find out if they offer the Savage series with ADEL.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #7,185 of 40,613

I have not tried the O1 module, but I own a MAM. Even with the MAM in the fully closed position, the sub-bass on the Zeus is noticeably lesser than Galaxy's sub-bass. But then using O1 or MAM fully closed would defeat the purpose of getting an ADEL IEM. 

If the level of sub-bass you are looking for, is the level of sub-bass on the Galaxy, then even the non-ADEL Zeus may not work. In that case, you may want to contact Jack or EE team directly and find out if they offer the Savage series with ADEL.

Yeah quite interested in that, I wish there was a way to demo the Savage 9, I actually bought a universal Zeus-R (non ADEL) and will just resell it regardless as I'd go custom if I do like it. My only worry is I used to have a 1964 ears V8 and K10 before and those went to the point of darker and rolled off treble which I don't want, and the V8 mids weren't as good as the K10s for sure.

What's really gotten me looking around at IEMs as well as the ear issue/ADEL thing is i got a really nice $2k speaker system - http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM2/srm2.html that sounds PERFECT to my ears and trying to get something close in IEM form.

And trying to find IEMs that match the quality and sound signature has proven hard, the Aether's and Galaxy have each been the closest so far. My speakers have extremely crisp vocals and a great treble extension/sparkliness but when the bass is called upon it shows up in force. With the Aether it's a bit of more a warm tilt across the board rather than the L shape that I like, Rhapsodio galaxy's mids don't have the tonality I like.

In terms of headphones I liked the Hifiman Edition X a lot, IEMs like that would make me happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back