Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 11, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #7,186 of 40,559

Anybody who has both the Athena and andromeda or listen to them, does anybody think they have almost the same sound signature or is my ears bad?

Also alo deals has a copper 22 cable for $100, will that be a good buy for the Athena Adel?

I find the Athena and the Andromeda to have pretty significantly different signatures. The Andromeda has a sparklier, more energetic, and prominent treble, a less forward midrange, and a less bodied bass, though with more rumble. The Andro is more neutral (resembling the Zeus-R in signature more than anything), while the Athena is thicker, more organic, and more vocal-oriented.

If you want to improve the vocals and bass of the Athena, I'd suggest the Effect Audio Ares II+. It provides more weight and richness to the vocals as well as a more rumble-y and textured bass.

Though, IMO, my favourite cable I've tried with the Athena is the Double Helix Cables Symbiote SP Ver 3 OCC Silver Type 4 (Basically, DHC's latest silver cable; I always simply call it: "the new one"). It adds tons of air (smooth and textured air in the treble; neither bright nor sibilant whatsoever) and retains the Athena's mid-forward signature whilst drastically improving transparency, coherency, and dynamics. Though, it is rather intimate-sounding, and it doesn't have the largest bass body. Plus, it's quite costly and takes three months for DHC to build, but patience is a virtue. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Totally  agree with your view about Andromeda's signature and i'm using effect audio Eros 2+. The bass and midrange is rumble but treble is really spark and soundstage is wide. I like the all features of this IEM except the sensitivity really annoys me especially when you're listening to voice focused music or solo instrument classical music. Background should be really clear if there is no Z noise. And by the way , how do you say about Athena? Is that also too sensitive or it is much better than Andromeda? Thicker , organic and vocal-oriented are my taste. Empire ears has 15% untill end of April. I'm really thinking about get one. But my Eros 2 + will be useless because of mmcx and 4.4mm.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #7,187 of 40,559
I listen to all of the genres that you mentioned previously and they all sound great with my Zeus XRA. I have pretty much settled on the X setting with my AK380, I use R for watching movies though and switch between R and X when using the AK380amp. I am using the PW Audio 1960's 2 wire cable which to my ears makes quite a difference, increases realism, bass, and overall creates a bigger, fuller and more organic sound. It's an expensive cable (like a present to yourself with tax return money type cable).

I have had a dozen or so totl iem's over the past 4 years and auditioned most everything else (iem's not headphones) and this setup is the best I have heard.

I have not heard the Zeus without Adel (from all accounts it must be incredible), however I have always considered the 'out of head' sound to be a key attribute of iem's. The Adel Zeus do it as good if not better than any other iem I have heard.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #7,188 of 40,559
  Totally  agree with your view about Andromeda's signature and i'm using effect audio Eros 2+. The bass and midrange is rumble but treble is really spark and soundstage is wide. I like the all features of this IEM except the sensitivity really annoys me especially when you're listening to voice focused music or solo instrument classical music. Background should be really clear if there is no Z noise. And by the way , how do you say about Athena? Is that also too sensitive or it is much better than Andromeda? Thicker , organic and vocal-oriented are my taste. Empire ears has 15% untill end of April. I'm really thinking about get one. But my Eros 2 + will be useless because of mmcx and 4.4mm.

To be honest, I don't know how the sensitivity of the Andromeda compares to the Athena, but EE IEMs have some of the lowest in the industry AFAIK. I've been using all of my IEMs with my AK70 as well as my DP-X1 and I have yet to detect hiss from any of them. I have heard hiss coming out of the Chord Mojo, albeit very minute and entirely irrelevant amounts of it. If you an afford to wait, you can send your Eros II+ to Music Sanctuary in Singapore or Effect Audio themselves, and get it reterminated to 2-pin and 4.4mm balanced connectors.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #7,189 of 40,559

To be honest, I don't know how the sensitivity of the Andromeda compares to the Athena, but EE IEMs have some of the lowest in the industry AFAIK. I've been using all of my IEMs with my AK70 as well as my DP-X1 and I have yet to detect hiss from any of them. I have heard hiss comincustome versionout of the Chord Mojo, albeit very minute and entirely irrelevant amounts of it. If you an afford to wait, you can send your Eros II+ to Music Sanctuary in Singapore or Effect Audio themselves, and get it reterminated to 2-pin and 4.4mm balanced connectors.

Cool. Good to know I can send my cable back to Effect Audio for revising.  I understand hiss is unavoidable for most IEMS to detect but my old SE846 really does a great job no matter connect to mojo  or WM1A. The hiss can be noticed but it is extremely weak. I just returned my Andromeda today and I'm seeking same around $1K IEMS. As so far, only EE Athena and Lime ears Aether in my eyes. EE Athena has universal version but Aether only has CIEM version. Actually I went to Canjam L.A last Sunday but it's regretful EE can't make it because flight cancel. It's like EE and LE both attended Singapore Canjam but absent together  at L.A
confused_face.gif
 . Since Athena and Aether are  8 drivers and 5 drivers, It's hard to find head to head comparison. I can only try to dig out more review and information online now. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #7,190 of 40,559
  Cool. Good to know I can send my cable back to Effect Audio for revising.  I understand hiss is unavoidable for most IEMS to detect but my old SE846 really does a great job no matter connect to mojo  or WM1A. The hiss can be noticed but it is extremely weak. I just returned my Andromeda today and I'm seeking same around $1K IEMS. As so far, only EE Athena and Lime ears Aether in my eyes. EE Athena has universal version but Aether only has CIEM version. Actually I went to Canjam L.A last Sunday but it's regretful EE can't make it because flight cancel. It's like EE and LE both attended Singapore Canjam but absent together  at L.A
confused_face.gif
 . Since Athena and Aether are  8 drivers and 5 drivers, It's hard to find head to head comparison. I can only try to dig out more review and information online now. 

From what I understand, you can request for LE to build an Aether in universal form.

If you can give me until the end of this week, I can pop by the local dealer to give you some impressions of the Athena vs. the Aether.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #7,191 of 40,559

confused_face.gif

From what I understand, you can request for LE to build an Aether in universal form.

If you can give me until the end of this week, I can pop by the local dealer to give you some impressions of the Athena vs. the Aether.

Sorry, just a little confused. Give you what? I mean universal or custom should be no problem for me. Custom ask for more build time but may fits better. If I choose Athena I'll go universal because of price and wait time. For Aether I'll definitely go custom. The problem really is I have no experience of them both. Can not pick one as so far. And as I know, US does not have Lime Ears dealer correct? 

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #7,192 of 40,559
Sorry, just a little confused. Give you what? I mean universal or custom should be no problem for me. Custom ask for more build time but may fits better. If I choose Athena I'll go universal because of price and wait time. For Aether I'll definitely go custom. The problem really is I have no experience of them both. Can not pick one as so far. And as I know, US does not have Lime Ears dealer correct? 

What he means is for you to wait till the end of the week so he can listen to both and give you impressions

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #7,193 of 40,559
confused_face.gif

@PokerFaze is correct; you can ask Lime Ears to build a universal Aether. I have both the Athena ADEL and the Aether in custom form and they're in my top three favourite all-around IEMs at the moment. Both the Athena and the Aether are balanced IEMs that lean towards a warmer signature, but there are specific aspects that differentiate them from each other.

Starting from the bottom, the Aether has more bass slam than the Athena-A, mostly due to the presence of ADEL in the latter. In terms of presentation, the Aether's bass is more punchy, visceral, and impactful; it emphasises mid-bass over sub-bass which causes it to have more physicality than resolution. The Athena-A has a softer bass presentation. Quantity-wise, the bass is still north of neutral but it doesn't hit as hard as the Aether's, especially with the bass switch up. With the Aether's bass switch down, the bass quantity is actually quite similar. I remember the Athena non-ADEL demo to have more texture and rumble in the bass than my ADEL custom, but YMMV. Though, due to ADEL, the bass is much more airy, making details easier to pick out down low, and eliminating midrange bleed.

In the mids, the Aether and Athena-A have very different presentations. Though both have incredibly smooth and natural midranges, the amount of air and the placement of the mids are what segregate the two. The Aether's have significantly more air in the mids, and especially in the upper mids, where it sparkles more than the Athena. This makes the Aether's sound more lively, energetic, and crisp. However, this makes midrange instruments (i.e. piano, vocals, etc.) sound more distant; it's not V-shaped, but the Aether's immense depth just makes the mids sound further back. I find in long listening sessions, the Aether's can start to sound un-engaging because of this. You always feel like you're reaching for the mids to pull them in closer, but you can't. The Athena-A has a more forward midrange that spans wider left and right, with a warmer, thicker, and richer presentation. It's more in-your-face, but the mellow presentation is immediately enjoyable, even if it seems a bit less transparent and dynamic when compared to the Aether's.

The trebles of the Aether and the Athena-A are actually pretty similar. They're both warm-leaning IEMs and their higher registers are therefore more rounded, smoothed off, and peak/sibilance-free. They certainly have enough headroom and sparkle to present music in an open, airy, and decently transparent manner, but it's not as insanely resolving or crystal-clear as the Zeus, for example. I find the Aether has the edge in treble transparency and clarity, which I admire for its likeness to the treble presentation of studio monitors. On the other hand, the Athena-A is softer on the ear and its upper end complements its mids beautifully; its treble presentation is such that it places more focus on the midrange, for a more euphonic and rich overall signature. I don't find however, the Athena-A to be less resolving than the Aether's; it just takes a bit longer to "find" everything.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #7,194 of 40,559

What he means is for you to wait till the end of the week so he can listen to both and give you impressions

That make sense to me now. Thank you
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #7,195 of 40,559

Comparing the custom fit of both, my EE Athena is significantly more comfortable, with flawless weight distribution and just enough pressure in and around the ear for a perfect fit. Lime Ears (and I have corroborated this with another Aether user) tends to make their CIEMs quite tight, which improves isolation, but will cause physical fatigue to set in sooner. I may suggest asking Lime Ears to make the fit not as tight if you're willing to lose a tiny amount of isolation for longer-lasting comfort.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #7,196 of 40,559

confused_face.gif

Appreciate that! There is no doubt I'll wait for your impressions.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #7,197 of 40,559

Comparing the custom fit of both, my EE Athena is significantly more comfortable, with flawless weight distribution and just enough pressure in and around the ear for a perfect fit. Lime Ears (and I have corroborated this with another Aether user) tends to make their CIEMs quite tight, which improves isolation, but will cause physical fatigue to set in sooner. I may suggest asking Lime Ears to make the fit not as tight if you're willing to lose a tiny amount of isolation for longer-lasting comfort.

Bravo impressions!
I'm not a hip-hop guy but bass slam is also helping pop music to be more energy and touching. Plus there is a switch on Aether which looks cool. you said it still sounds similar even switch it off, but this design got my heart a bit for sure. SO Aether +1 at bass for me.
In the mids, key word ''air'' is just my flavor. That is also why I love tube amp. Lively sound is what I'm looking for. Actually I think sometimes too'' live'' makes signature loose the attraction to most people who listening music in the whole world except kind of group people who loves monitoring sound. I'm kind of guy between it but more forward to ''live''. Too close singer sound makes me feel inanition. Proper distance of signer sound and much background but clear and recognizable instruments sound pleasure me a lot. ''Air'' smell makes picture bigger to help soundstage felling. But wider and more left and right extension sound advantage of Athena-A, YES, I love it. THEN, this part, Aether +1, Athena +.5 to me.
Treble, they're similar, but Aether is more ris, it +1 again.
Thanks again for @Deezel177
Your impressions helps a lot. I got a first step of what I'm after for now. Let's wait for @PokerFaze
's impressions later to strengthen my understanding. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #7,198 of 40,559
  Bravo impressions!
I'm not a hip-hop guy but bass slam is also helping pop music to be more energy and touching. Plus there is a switch on Aether which looks cool. you said it still sounds similar even switch it off, but this design got my heart a bit for sure. SO Aether +1 at bass for me.
In the mids, key word ''air'' is just my flavor. That is also why I love tube amp. Lively sound is what I'm looking for. Actually I think sometimes too'' live'' makes signature loose the attraction to most people who listening music in the whole world except kind of group people who loves monitoring sound. I'm kind of guy between it but more forward to ''live''. Too close singer sound makes me feel inanition. Proper distance of signer sound and much background but clear and recognizable instruments sound pleasure me a lot. ''Air'' smell makes picture bigger to help soundstage felling. But wider and more left and right extension sound advantage of Athena-A, YES, I love it. THEN, this part, Aether +1, Athena +.5 to me.
Your impressions helps a lot. I got a first step of what I'm after for now. Let's wait for @PokerFaze
beerchug.gif

No problem, happy to help! I must reiterate that the Athena I have is the ADEL version. @PokerFaze's impressions will be of the non-ADEL version. I think the non-ADEL version will be more competitive with the Aether in terms of what you're looking for.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #7,199 of 40,559

Got u your suggestion about LE custom comfort. Sounds like Athena designs more fits. This also reminds me one of my friend who has odd auricle. He states no earbuds or IEM fits. No matter how great the sound is he still feels so torture when he is wearing. And apple earbuds fall down from his ear like every 10 secs. Looks funny. Then I told him, only headphone and CIEM is your tea. I remembered he got a UE CIEM later. World just changed. He kept taking to me how good CIEM is. I believe  the custom service does  help such kind of people a lot. Yeah, I told him to get CIEM. But I never got a chance. So if I'm going for Aether, I think I may go for custom for sure.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #7,200 of 40,559

Bravo impressions!
beerchug.gif

No problem, happy to help! I must reiterate that the Athena I have is the ADEL version. @PokerFaze's impressions will be of the non-ADEL version. I think the non-ADEL version will be more competitive with the Aether in terms of what you're looking for.

YES, I did read pretty much review about difference between ADEL version and Non-A ver. Some people love ADEL but others not. Their points are reasonable but consider my budget, that looks like out of my business LOL
wink_face.gif
  I'll wait for his coming impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back