Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 10, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #7,141 of 40,611
Imagine if they create an ADEL module that has the massive soundstage WITH detail and resolution like non-ADEL.

Hopefully Canyon Runner Can clarify this because to my knowledge they are pretty much done developing modules

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #7,142 of 40,611

Imagine if they create an ADEL module that has the massive soundstage WITH detail and resolution like non-ADEL.

Hopefully @Canyon Runner Can clarify this because to my knowledge they are pretty much done developing modules

He confirmed it a while back that they are not developing any new modules at this time.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #7,143 of 40,611
Not their highest priority for the modules

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #7,144 of 40,611
I found that ADEL has this sonic characteristic where it will make the overall sound more distant, which will cause a hit to the resolution of the IEM.

Until they find a way to avoid this, ADEL IEMs will always suffer from the loss of resolution.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #7,145 of 40,611
I found that ADEL has this sonic characteristic where it will make the overall sound more distant, which will cause a hit to the resolution of the IEM.

Until they find a way to avoid this, ADEL IEMs will always suffer from the loss of resolution.

Everything seems to be a tradeoff in IEMs...you want more low end? Gonna have to give up the high end then. Which is why I'm leaning more and more toward a neutral-ish signature with a slight bass bump to the lowest frequencies just enough to keep it from being sterile.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #7,146 of 40,611

Everything seems to be a tradeoff in IEMs...you want more low end? Gonna have to give up the high end then. Which is why I'm leaning more and more toward a neutral-ish signature with a slight bass bump to the lowest frequencies just enough to keep it from being sterile.

You're going to love the Zeus xr then. The r in particular is what I would called musically neutral(ish) with g1.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #7,147 of 40,611
You're going to love the Zeus xr then. The r in particular is what I would called musically neutral(ish) with g1.

The Zeus-R is what I'd describe as neutral/flat from a graph's perspective, wherein there are no peaks or troughs in the frequency response, apart from a slight forwardness in the mids/upper mids, and an overall dry tonality. I'd akin in it to the HD800S, which is dry and crisp, but reasonably forgiving and has a slight overcoat of warmth.

The Zeus-XIV, on the other hand, leans towards what a set of studio monitors would sound like in a room, with a bolder, larger, and warmer mid-and-mid-bass section. I find it perfect for mixing and mastering to my tastes; I always end up adding too much (mid)bass when mastering on transducers like the HD800S or the Zeus-R, but maybe those are just my tendencies/habits as an engineer.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #7,148 of 40,611
The Zeus-R is what I'd describe as neutral/flat from a graph's perspective, wherein there are no peaks or troughs in the frequency response, apart from a slight forwardness in the mids/upper mids, and an overall dry tonality. I'd akin in it to the HD800S, which is dry and crisp, but reasonably forgiving and has a slight overcoat of warmth.

The Zeus-XIV, on the other hand, leans towards what a set of studio monitors would sound like in a room, with a bolder, larger, and warmer mid-and-mid-bass section. I find it perfect for mixing and mastering to my tastes; I always end up adding too much (mid)bass when mastering on transducers like the HD800S or the Zeus-R, but maybe those are just my tendencies/habits as an engineer.

My good sir, this is very helpful feedback. I always wonder what mixing engineers think of the gear I own.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #7,149 of 40,611

My good sir, this is very helpful feedback. I always wonder what mixing engineers think of the gear I own.

Very happy to help, my friend! I've only been an audio engineer for about a year, but my exposure to Head-Fi and the audiophile realm a year or two beforehand really helped me both establish philosophies and principles as an engineer, as well as evaluate gear better as an audio enthusiast. If it helps, I recently discovered the Audeze-XC to be great for work as well!

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #7,150 of 40,611

Not going to happen, Jack just posted this:

Sorry for the silence over the weekend everyone. Delta airlines had a major crisis this past weekend and we were caught in the middle of it. Our flight was cancelled and they lost our luggage which consisted of personal items, iems, daps, tradeshow display, etc. I've been at the airport and on the phone all weekend trying to make sense of this mess. I sincerely apologize to everyone that we couldn't make it. We tried to tough it out with the thousands of others on standby until Saturday afternoon (from Friday afternoon) hoping to at least make it on Sunday but we threw in the towel once we realized that it wasn't going to happen.

Lost luggage. Lost luggage everywhere.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #7,152 of 40,611
Sorry for the silence over the weekend everyone. Delta airlines had a major crisis this past weekend and we were caught in the middle of it. Our flight was cancelled and they lost our luggage which consisted of personal items, iems, daps, tradeshow display, etc. I've been at the airport and on the phone all weekend trying to make sense of this mess. I sincerely apologize to everyone that we couldn't make it. We tried to tough it out with the thousands of others on standby until Saturday afternoon (from Friday afternoon) hoping to at least make it on Sunday but we threw in the towel once we realized that it wasn't going to happen.

Lost luggage. Lost luggage everywhere.

You have no reason to apologize. Anyone who was on the fence about buying an EE IEM, now would be a great time to show your support. Hope your bags turn up. I'll be buying mine soon, just got the small state tax return, waiting for the big federal one. Should be soon.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #7,153 of 40,611
You have no reason to apologize. Anyone who was on the fence about buying an EE IEM, now would be a great time to show your support. Hope your bags turn up. I'll be buying mine soon, just got the small state tax return, waiting for the big federal one. Should be soon.

Ike my man! What you getting? Beloved Adel version? XR?

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #7,154 of 40,611

Lucky you to be getting some tax refund. I could have bought an XRA w/ the additional uncle Sam is taking from me. Can only hope it's put to good use. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #7,155 of 40,611
Curious for those who've heard all three: Apollo, Zeus-R and Zeus XIV, which has more bass? Specifically sub-bass quantity/impact. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back