Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 2, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #6,601 of 40,724
I too want to read that.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #6,602 of 40,724
  A little teaser of what's to come in the next few weeks 
wink_face.gif

Been working on this for over a month now; I put a lot of effort into it to make sure that it would be as detailed as I could possibly make it be. It should be ready in the next 2-3 weeks. I've always wanted to write reviews for the Head-Fi community and this is my first review (and hopefully not my last)!

I love the finish on yours and the solid photography makes them pop. Great work.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #6,603 of 40,724
My review of the Empire Ears X Effect Audio - "Arthur" will be published soon(hopefully during this upcoming week). Here is a picture that I took for the review to show of the beauty of the "Arthur" and "Exclibur" cable.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #6,604 of 40,724

guys...newbie to this thread.
currently use the FLC 8S....

i contacted empire for them to suggest an alternative in their lineup that punches well
above its weight class too...the Spartan IV Adel was suggested.
any imput on this, esp if you have the zeus xr and have listened to the FLC 8S?

are you after the universal or custom? if you're coming to canjam, then perhaps you could try them out first. and perhaps get an ear impression, if you decide to buy custom. i don't know about their upcoming totl celeste (28 ba?), and haven't tried the zeus. but i've tried the supra up til athena. and for me, spartan has the best value for their price. the bass is equal, if not better than cerberus. the mids significantly better than supra, and slightly better than hermes (to my taste). soundstage is just below athena, but pretty wide.

you should try them out first, according also to your music playlist/preferences. but if you're looking to get a good sound, and spend less, then i'd recommend spartan :)

thanks Ranfan.
so anyone else also have experience with the lower priced Spartan IV vs others in the lineup?
I did have the sony ex800st before, too.

looking for a slightly warmish, but detailed iem with great bass slam (when called for, but not overly done if it
overpowers the other instruments).

just forking out $$$ in the next few months (a new DAC... perhaps the Hugo 2, Sim 280D or Benchmark 2/3)...perhaps new sony z1r cans...so unfortunately don't have an unlimited budget to afford the zeus xr series (but would love to try them)

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #6,605 of 40,724
thanks Ranfan.
so anyone else also have experience with the lower priced Spartan IV vs others in the lineup?

looking for a slightly warmish, but detailed iem with great bass slam (when called for, but not overly done if it

just forking out $$$ in the next few months (a new DAC... perhaps the Hugo 2, Sim 280D or Benchmark 2/3)...perhaps new sony z1r cans...so unfortunately don't have an unlimited budget to afford the zeus xr series (but would love to try them)
The Spartan is amazing for the price and compares very well against the rest of the Empire Ears lineup, but it is more neutral than warm.

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #6,606 of 40,724
A little teaser of what's to come in the next few weeks :wink_face:

Been working on this for over a month now; I put a lot of effort into it to make sure that it would be as detailed as I could possibly make it be. It should be ready in the next 2-3 weeks. I've always wanted to write reviews for the Head-Fi community and this is my first review (and hopefully not my last)!

I should write my opinion on the Athena Adel but I am not so good with describing sound and still don't know all these sound signature terms. :frowning2:

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #6,607 of 40,724

thanks Ranfan.

As @Dellwolf said, the Spartan IV is a more neutral IEM with a "hard" and sparkly treble, and a flat bass response. Based on your intended sound signature, I'd be more than happy to recommend the Athena, but a more budget option with a similar signature is the Cerberus.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #6,608 of 40,724
As @Dellwolf said, the Spartan IV is a more neutral IEM with a "hard" and sparkly treble, and a flat bass response. Based on your intended sound signature, I'd be more than happy to recommend the Athena, but a more budget option with a similar signature is the Cerberus.

the Cerberus and the Supra didn't surprise me at all. The Spartan, Hermes, Athena were my favorite.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #6,609 of 40,724
the Cerberus and the Supra didn't surprise me at all. The Spartan, Hermes, Athena were my favorite.

I was simply recommending the former as a budget option that fits @canali preferred sound signature. I, too, recommended the Athena if he has the budget to go for it.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #6,610 of 40,724
Nice, I'm looking forward to your review.

I too want to read that.

I love the finish on yours and the solid photography makes them pop. Great work.

Thank you all for the kind words! I really appreciate the support. Just did a small photoshoot this morning and I am adding the final touches to the review :) I am hopeful that it will be completed by CanJam Singapore!

I should write my opinion on the Athena Adel but I am not so good with describing sound and still don't know all these sound signature terms.
frown.gif

I'd say just go ahead and do it man! We all have to start somewhere :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
 ​
Over the next few days, I will be going to write up on how the Athena compares to the other IEMs in the market. Are they any IEMs that you guys might be interested in seeing the Athena compared to? Being in Singapore, I am blessed to have access to many demo units of IEMs on the market currently so feel free to make a request!

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #6,611 of 40,724
Anybody with the Athena Adel MAM how much do you have to turn the MAM to get the best vocals?

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #6,612 of 40,724
Anybody with the Athena Adel MAM how much do you have to turn the MAM to get the best vocals?

I just leave mine fully open. I normally don't bother adjusting the MAM individually as I face some serious membrane flex when the MAM is in any position other than fully open.

However, based on my experiences while experimenting with the MAM, I would say somewhere nearer to fully closed as when the MAM is fully closed, the bass and mid-bass are now brought slightly more forward, which could, in turn, result in more intimate and sweeter sounding vocals.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #6,613 of 40,724
I just leave mine fully open. I normally don't bother adjusting the MAM individually as I face some serious membrane flex when the MAM is in any position other than fully open.

However, based on my experiences while experimenting with the MAM, I would say somewhere nearer to fully closed as when the MAM is fully closed, the bass and mid-bass are now brought slightly more forward, which could, in turn, result in more intimate and sweeter sounding vocals.

Me too I experience major membrane issue it's either fully open or closed. Fully closed makes the soundstage wider and less bass. I contacted DJ about the issue and he said you can contact Asius directly for warranty. But I don't think it's the MAM issue.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #6,614 of 40,724
Me too I experience major membrane issue it's either fully open or closed. Fully closed makes the soundstage wider and less bass. I contacted DJ about the issue and he said you can contact Asius directly for warranty. But I don't think it's the MAM issue.

I don't think its the MAM as well; some people experience membrane flexing, others don't. 

And I think there is a slight confusion; when I say fully closed, I mean turning the knob outwards. When the knob is "screwed-in", it is fully open. The bolded part describes the sound when the MAM is fully open.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #6,615 of 40,724
I don't think its the MAM as well; some people experience membrane flexing, others don't. 

And I think there is a slight confusion; when I say fully closed, I mean turning the knob outwards. When the knob is "screwed-in", it is fully open and some reason I also experience better fit and isolation when it's open the closed. The bolded part describes the sound when the MAM is fully open.

Yeah when the knob is "all the way screwed in" it is open and enables the Adel and when the knob is screwed "all the way out" its closed, disabling the MAM, I experience wider soundstage when it's closed some reason and better fit and isolation when the screw is "all the way in" then the screw is "all the way out"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back