Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 18, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #5,506 of 40,725
  ADEL tech helps you keep your ears sensitive. :p
I can hear a pretty good difference between stock and silver.

I find silver litz is the best and just sharpens up the whole image for me. Lots of people say pure silver is bright but that has not been my experience. Also, I do think litz is a better option. Don't know how else to describe it.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #5,507 of 40,725
  I find silver litz is the best and just sharpens up the whole image for me. Lots of people say pure silver is bright but that has not been my experience. Also, I do think litz is a better option. Don't know how else to describe it.

I am using Therium which is pure silver litz. With my U12, the Therium is not bright like at all. I would even go ahead and say that it makes the sound a tad darker than stock in that sense that it removes 90% of sibilance I hear with stock.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #5,508 of 40,725
  I am using Therium which is pure silver litz. With my U12, the Therium is not bright like at all. I would even go ahead and say that it makes the sound a tad darker than stock in that sense that it removes 90% of sibilance I hear with stock.

I also find the stock 64 audio cable sibilant, yes silver cleared that up.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #5,509 of 40,725
stock cables have always been the  Achilles heel of good TOTL ciems, imo

both my TOTL ciems (NT6 and EE Athena) i switched the stock cable from Day 0

speaking of Athena , it has been a frustrating 2 months , trying to make her sound how i envisioned her and i think i have finally succeeded

i find fitting that she has a woman's name , these last 2 months  i felt like an image maker trying to make her 'look' (= sound) how she was supposed to be

to me she felt like a beautiful woman , with a makeup/wardrobe that does not do her justice 

anyway, when i want to do something i do it so i rolled my sleeves and got to work - it took me buying a TOTL silver cable (whiplash twag v3 8-con version , great cable) and some minor EQ tweaking , but she is finally sounding like a TOTL ciem (to my non-basshead, reference loving ears at least)

so long story short, i decided to toy today with my EQ settings on my DX80, since i could not get the balanced sound i was after

i think that Athena has an annoying mid-bass bump that muddies the sound and the highs can use a slight bump too , to improve clarity/separation

the mids are beautiful , and the soundstage is fantastic , and she is really an effortless ciem 

these are the EQ settings i switched on my DX80 , you will get an idea even if you have different points of EQ settings on your DAPs

the lows were boosted (imho) , so we took them a bit down (especially the mid-bass area)

33 Hz : -2
63 Hz : -4
100 Hz : -3

the mids remain unchanged as i like what i hear

330 Hz / 630 Hz / 1K : 0 changes

and finally I bumped the upper mids/highs gradually for that needed clarity/air , now the separation is great

3.3 KHz : +1
6.3 KHz : +2
10 KHz : +2
16 KHz : +4

now athena is a keeper , @Jack Vang knows the anguish i have been through (sorry man if i broke your balls a tad in pms , bro fist)

all you athena owners , you may wanna check some slight EQ , to my (picky) ears Athena is now a much improved CIEM and definitely a keeper 

cheers

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #5,510 of 40,725
Second that. Savage 9 has been available for about 6 months(non Adel) but very little information about it and none on the Empire website. I know we can just contact Empire directly but it would be nice with some comparisons or at least some impressions.

InsanityOne, you have the Savage 5, what is your impressions? Can you compare it to other iems, maybe 64 audio Adel. I have the U12 Adel and like it. The bass is awesome without being basshead, but sometimes I do miss more clarity in the mids and highs. Soundstage and separation are also top notch.

Well, seeing as the Savage 5 is the first IEM I have ever owned, I would not be able to compare it to any other IEMs at this point in time. However, I can compare it to the past headphone I have owned such as the Fostex-TH600, Beyerdynamic T5p, AKG K701, etc. But that wouldn't really do anyone much good I don't think. I will jot down my quick and dirty impressions below as I am far from a "reviewer" of headphones / IEMs.

--

Pre-face:

All of the comments below were written out while listening to my Savage 5 from either a FiiO X1 2ND GEN or a CEntrance MINI-M8 with my Galaxy Note 5 as a source. I use medium size Comply T500 foam tips and a YY Pro Audio "Storm" cable + iFi IEMatch at all times. All of the below comments are my own thoughts and opinions and are completely subjective. If you purchase a Savage 5 YMMV.

Detail: 

The detail retrieval on the Savage 5 is very good to my ears. I am able to hear the full depth of the music and no distinct sounds seem to be missed or "glossed over". Just like most IEMs of this caliber, they bring you right into the music and make you feel as if you are sitting in the recording studio with the artist having a person 1 on 1 concert. It is a very intimate sound, but since you are so close no details are lost in translation. 

Bass:

I will admit upfront that I am a "basshead". Even with a very good seal and the right eartips, I wouldn't call the bass on the Savage 5 punchy, boomy, or hard-hitting. It just doesn't really compare to the amount and quality of bass that a pair of Fostex TH-600's can provide. (But then again, Fostex headphones are arguably some of the best headphones for bass reproduction in the world, so it is a bad comparison to make.) As far as IEMs go, I would say that the amount of bass on the Savage 5 remains prominent while not drowning out the mids or highs. The bass coming from the Savage 5 is not so much like an EDM concert, but more like getting up close and personal with a string bass or a bass drum on a drum kit. It is definitely there and you can hear its fullness, but you won't be feeling its thump in your chest. As Jack stated earlier in the thread, "We've been selling the current version of the Savage line to musicians and a few audio enthusiasts but I think the "bass lovers" will really want more."

Mids:

The midrange on the Savage 5 blends well and does not get neglected by any means. In this case, the mids present a "warm" signature overall without being extremely untrue to the source. Vocals still sound engaging and fun but are not pushed too far forward. Again, the sound of the Savage 5 is not "airy" but more "intimate" to my ears in this scenario. The mids have a nice "upfront" sound that adds to the overall body of the Savage 5's sound signature. The good thing about the mids on the Savage 5 is that they are not a strictly "reference" presentation like that of my Beyerdynamic T5p's which can sometimes come off as a bit "standard".

Highs:

In my experience, the higher frequencies on the Savage 5 sometimes lose out to the full-bodied bass and the warm mids, but only in tracks that are more bass / mid focused. In tracks that have more focus on the upper range the Savage 5 still delivers an accurate and detailed representation of the sound which is fairly common with balanced armature IEMs. The highs are neither harsh nor grainy. The highs come on smooth and decay quickly, just like if you were getting your own little concert in a recording booth. This allows for hours of listening with relatively zero ear-fatigue. 

Soundstage:

As Jack has stated, the Savage series was designed "primarily for bass players and drummers," but just because it was tuned for certain instruments doesn't mean that it falls short on capturing others. The space and separation between instruments provided by the Savage 5 allows them to be easily distinguished, but due to the nature of it's tuning, you will always be able to hear the prominence of the drums and the bass. The soundstage of the Savage 5 is wide, but not near as wide as my AKG K701's. As I have said multiple times before in this post, the soundstage on the Savage 5 is intimate, it doesn't leave anything out, but it doesn't make you feel like you are listening to the music in an anechoic chamber either. The soundstage is more akin to listening to the music in a small jazz club or a recording booth. Even if the soundstage isn't "infinitely wide" it still deserves to be called dynamic and highly transparent though. 

Conclusion:

For my personal tastes I really like the sound of the Savage 5. It makes me feel warm and cozy when I listen to it, which is definitely not something you get with most headphones / IEMs. I find myself often drifting off to sleep while enjoying a late night listening session with them. I would say that the Savage 5 is a "fun" IEM that caters to those of use who are not seeking the "ultimate detail retrieval and infinite soundstage" but rather the "delicate nuances of a warm sounding vintage tube amp." I know that there are many of you out there who would shun a sound signature such as this, but for those of us who like it, the Savage 5 is a real treat. In the end, after owning the Savage 5 for a few months, I am eagerly awaiting the official release of the Savage 9 so I can upgrade and get in on the ADEL party as well. Hopefully that says something about how much I like them.

--

Hopefully what I wrote is helpful to some people, it was my first time writing up anything like that so I would appreciate any critique / feedback. Thanks!

- InsanityOne 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #5,511 of 40,725
stock cables have always been the  [COLOR=222222]Achilles heel [/COLOR]of good TOTL ciems, imo

both my TOTL ciems (NT6 and EE Athena) i switched the stock cable from Day 0

speaking of Athena , it has been a frustrating 2 months , trying to make her sound how i envisioned her and i think i have finally succeeded

i find fitting that she has a woman's name , these last 2 months  i felt like an image maker trying to make her 'look' (= sound) how she was supposed to be

to me she felt like a beautiful woman , with a makeup/wardrobe that does not do her justice 

anyway, when i want to do something i do it so i rolled my sleeves and got to work - it took me buying a TOTL silver cable (whiplash twag v3 8-con version , great cable) and some minor EQ tweaking , but she is finally sounding like a TOTL ciem (to my non-basshead, reference loving ears at least)

so long story short, i decided to toy today with my EQ settings on my DX80, since i could not get the balanced sound i was after

i think that Athena has an annoying mid-bass bump that muddies the sound and the highs can use a slight bump too , to improve clarity/separation

the mids are beautiful , and the soundstage is fantastic , and she is really an effortless ciem 

these are the EQ settings i switched on my DX80 , you will get an idea even if you have different points of EQ settings on your DAPs

the lows were boosted (imho) , so we took them a bit down (especially the mid-bass area)

33 Hz : -2

63 Hz : -4

100 Hz : -3

the mids remain unchanged as i like what i hear

330 Hz / 630 Hz / 1K : 0 changes

and finally I bumped the upper mids/highs gradually for that needed clarity/air , now the separation is great

3.3 KHz : +1

6.3 KHz : +2

10 KHz : +2

16 KHz : +4

now athena is a keeper , @Jack Vang
 knows the anguish i have been through (sorry man if i broke your balls a tad in pms , bro fist)

all you athena owners , you may wanna check some slight EQ , to my (picky) ears Athena is now a much improved CIEM and definitely a keeper 

cheers
I really think the Athena is perfect how it is for my taste, but just out of my price range.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #5,513 of 40,725
Good day to all. Has anyone heard from @Jack Vang recently. Sent him 2 PMs over the last 2 weeks and he has yet to make a response. Hope he's doing well.
smily_headphones1.gif

We just landed in LA for the NAMM show this weekend. Not sure how much either of us will be on here at night after the show, since they're incredibly tiring. But we'll try!

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #5,514 of 40,725
Good day to all. Has anyone heard from Jack Vang recently. Sent him 2 PMs over the last 2 weeks and he has yet to make a response. Hope he's doing well. :)
Yeah, he hasn't posted in a while, but you could try calling or texting him. His phone number is in the very first post on this thread the last time I checked.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #5,515 of 40,725
  We just landed in LA for the NAMM show this weekend. Not sure how much either of us will be on here at night after the show, since they're incredibly tiring. But we'll try!

EE : We're presenting the best IEM in the world : Zeus XR.
Random guy at NAMM: I'm looking for beats
EE: Sir, I'm telling you this will be much better than beats.
*Random guy tries it*
Guy: No beats!
EE: Sir, look at the midrange, bass quality, soundstage...
Guy: Sorry, I only like beats
EE: ....

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #5,517 of 40,725

You can get that with a S1 module or MAM with 3/4th or more closed. It really puts out more bass.

I can't stand the MAM, they flop around in my ear too much. 
Even with S1 I don't think that the Zeus will have enough bass

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #5,519 of 40,725
  I bought Norne Therium. Everyone I talked to regarding these specific cables had the exact same impressions. Bass is tightened and you can hear a lot more details. I can guarantee you that Therium will improve details. IDK about other headphones/IEMs but with 64 Audio U12 and Therium, I can guarantee that it'll improve sound. Therium and U12 is a very good matchup imo.

Summoning @ezekiel77 for more impressions :p

You've pretty much said it lol. Tighter bass leading to increased clarity across the spectrum. For non-cable believers the Therium has a nice feel (light, slight memory effect), and handsome Eidolic connectors, so you have looks and build quality for a start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back