Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 12, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #5,431 of 40,611
This is a pre black friday order.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #5,432 of 40,611
This is a pre black friday order.

Well, congrats. They look awesome!!!

Is it a step up in sq compared to your other (c)iems? Or is it too early to tell?

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #5,433 of 40,611
Well, congrats. They look awesome!!!

Is it a step up in sq compared to your other (c)iems? Or is it too early to tell?

Based on my auditions of the XIV and R, the midrange of the XIV tuning is stellar and the R tuning is a detailed reference without sounding flat or boring. If you'd like certain comparative impressions I would be glad to answer via PM. Cheers.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #5,439 of 40,611
Received mine today. :) although the fit might need a tweak. Gonna give them the weekend and decide for sure. One side is perfect and the other just not quite as good. But still useable. And it's a long story but these guys have the best customer service I've experienced.

Speaking of which, when I emailed them about the fit I also asked about the XIV vs R signatures, as these new ones have a "better" XIV sig imo. Seems they did tweak it from the demo I heard. It matches the previous graphs more like I would expect. Even if I still think they're backwards. :wink: but the XIV doesn't have the slightly recessed treble of the demos. It's exactly like the R but with more low mids and lows. And there's no volume change. Much easier to compare sigs. And fixed the XIV to where it probably is my favorite now. But man both sides are amazing.

And I know worthless post without pics. Give me a bit and I'll see what I can do. :)

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #5,440 of 40,611
Speaking of which, when I emailed them about the fit I also asked about the XIV vs R signatures, as these new ones have a "better" XIV sig imo. Seems they did tweak it from the demo I heard. It matches the previous graphs more like I would expect. Even if I still think they're backwards.
wink.gif
but the XIV doesn't have the slightly recessed treble of the demos. It's exactly like the R but with more low mids and lows. And there's no volume change. Much easier to compare sigs. And fixed the XIV to where it probably is my favorite now. But man both sides are amazing.

yup this is the impression I am getting when listening through my custom pair as well.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #5,441 of 40,611
Received mine today.
smily_headphones1.gif
although the fit might need a tweak. Gonna give them the weekend and decide for sure. One side is perfect and the other just not quite as good. But still useable. And it's a long story but these guys have the best customer service I've experienced.

Speaking of which, when I emailed them about the fit I also asked about the XIV vs R signatures, as these new ones have a "better" XIV sig imo. Seems they did tweak it from the demo I heard. It matches the previous graphs more like I would expect. Even if I still think they're backwards.
wink.gif
but the XIV doesn't have the slightly recessed treble of the demos. It's exactly like the R but with more low mids and lows. And there's no volume change. Much easier to compare sigs. And fixed the XIV to where it probably is my favorite now. But man both sides are amazing.

And I know worthless post without pics. Give me a bit and I'll see what I can do.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've actually also noticed this with the new XRA demos here in Music Sanctuary; when you switch from R to XIV you don't feel a drop in treble, but instead a burst of fullness and richness from the mids and down.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #5,443 of 40,611
To those who suspected that I mislabeled my XIV/R graphs, you will be right :sweat_smile:

Switching from R to XIV does indeed introduce a small boost from 1kHz down. (EDIT: technically it's a recession from 1K upward, but the desired effect is similar) Still think the XIV mode is more engaging than the relatively more boring R. Re-measured the Zeus-XR just to be on the safe side.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #5,444 of 40,611
I'm having no luck trying to purchase Zeus XR ADEL customs :triportsad:

Emailed and sent contact web form with some questions but no answer after some days.

I have had some patchy email correspondence also, but I think they are having some email issues. When Jack does respond his customer service is stellar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back